Official Review: Davidson’s Inlet by John Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Davidson’s Inlet by John Brown

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Davidson’s Inlet" by John Brown.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As John Brown’s Davidson’s Inlet opens, we are introduced to Jim and Kate Stanley. From the first pages, you will notice many strange, mysterious things happening in their home. Items are moved, lights turned on, and other irregularities occur while they are sleeping or away from home. The police don’t have any answers… at least not on the surface. Fortunately, or maybe not, work allows them to get away. Both Jim and Kate meet a mysterious woman named Samantha on their individual trips to Chicago; what impact will she have on the two of them? Things take an even more sinister tone in Chicago when Jim has an encounter with a waitress they know from back home. She turns up dead and he becomes a critical witness in the case.

This is where the story really begins and one ponders many questions. Not only does one wonder who killed the waitress, one wonders just what impact Samantha is having on Kate and Jim, and if the Stanley's still love each other. One will also question why Kate’s employer, the Chicago Tribune, cares so much about the murder and Jim. And what do those mysterious things back home have to do with what’s happening in Chicago?

The character development is lacking in some ways. I really did not feel like I truly got to know or connect with either of the main characters. Jim and Kate both often came off as stiff, awkward, and unsure of themselves. Jim more so than Kate. Ironically, Samantha, a supporting character, was well-crafted, which felt like an anomaly in the book. She comes on strong, showing just what type of person she is even if Kate and Jim don’t realize it. From the first time you meet her, you realize she is different from the others. To share more about her would require spoilers!

The writing was often dry, making it hard to “feel” the story. For example, Jim and Kate both express feelings of love at different times, but it is difficult to ascertain if they really mean it. At one point, Kate says, “Jim, what’s happening? We’re fighting. We never fight. What’s wrong?” It was difficult to interpret if she was being dramatic or meant it. Additionally, the editing was poor. There were so many typos and grammar errors that it was distracting at times. One prime example is the use of the word “consume” for “consommé.”

I rate Davidson’s Inlet 2 out of 4 stars. More than anything, I liked the overall premise of the story. The storyline is unique enough to make it worthy of more than 1-star. Unfortunately, the execution is lacking. The characters need to be more fully developed. The editing needs quite a bit of work for the book to be worth more than 2-stars. This story would appeal to those who enjoy crime novels with a bit of mystery. Note that there is some explicit sex, which some may wish to avoid.

This review has been unpublished because it is of an old edition of the book.
Davidson’s Inlet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

This book would be very interesting if the author takes your review into consideration. I wouldn't mind reading it though.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love reading mystery crime stories and got interested as I was reading your great review, but too bad the main characters are not fully developed. Also, bad editing definitely harms this otherwise interesting story. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm curious about what's happening in their home. However, the issues you mention are keeping me from wanting to read this one. I hope the author takes your advice to heart.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I find it interesting that the side characters are more developed than the main characters. Or, more than interesting, just annoying. Obviously the author can craft characters with depth, so why not the main ones?
I loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

I'm so disappointed that the writing is dry, as the plot sounded super promising. That dialogue, from the looks of it, is a little stiff. Thanks for a great review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

CatInTheHat wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 17:39
To share more about her would require spoilers!
Sometimes it's really difficult to express an opinion of a character, plot, or even situation without giving spoilers. I hate it when that happens.
Your review is quite detailed. I like it.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ellylion wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 05:27 I love reading mystery crime stories and got interested as I was reading your great review, but too bad the main characters are not fully developed. Also, bad editing definitely harms this otherwise interesting story. Thank you for the review!
So true, this story had so much potential.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 06:44 I'm curious about what's happening in their home. However, the issues you mention are keeping me from wanting to read this one. I hope the author takes your advice to heart.
That part of the story was definitely unique and kind of scary, in a very different way!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 12:53 I find it interesting that the side characters are more developed than the main characters. Or, more than interesting, just annoying. Obviously the author can craft characters with depth, so why not the main ones?
I loved your review :)
My thoughts exactly! And thank you!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The description of the story line was intriguing. It's too bad the author wasn't able to develop it in a more satisfying way. Thanks for your insights on this book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! It's too bad a good premise wasn't executed well. When the writing is blah, it's hard for me to stay interested. Think about the story of Romeo and Juliet if the writing was dry. Shakespeare makes the plot come alive with his wonderful writing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:51 Thanks for another insightful review! It's too bad a good premise wasn't executed well. When the writing is blah, it's hard for me to stay interested. Think about the story of Romeo and Juliet if the writing was dry. Shakespeare makes the plot come alive with his wonderful writing.
Trust me, it was hard to keep going at times.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy reading, if it were just written better. Hopefully, the author will fix those errors and work on the character development. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

With some work on character development and editing, this book would turn out great. It has a good plot.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”