Official Review: Apocalypse Life by Ashley Robert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Apocalypse Life by Ashley Robert

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Apocalypse Life" by Ashley Robert.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the year 2021 a virus wiped out 99.9% of the world's population. Those lucky enough to be immune to the virus must find a new way to survive. There are always people, though, that will take advantage of the chaos for their own benefit.

Jameson and his grandfather Johnnie were hunters before the apocalypse, so they are familiar with living off the land. They've set themselves up in a nice cave where they have everything they need to survive. If only they can stay away from the Lankers, a gang that likes to rape, murder, and plunder.

Charity and Passion live a nomadic existence, going from place to place robbing others to survive. After a run-in with a particularly nasty group of Lankers, they are rescued by Jameson. Will these two groups be able to work together and survive? Or will Charity and Passion revert to their old ways?

Apocalypse Life by Ashley Robert is a dystopian fiction novel of about 170 pages. It's a quick and easy read, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 18 due to mature content.

The plot of this novel is fairly simple: survival in a post-apocalyptic world. The Lankers are a great addition to the novel, as they add conflict to what would otherwise be a relatively boring story. The characters were interesting; though Jameson and his grandfather are good people, they do what they must to survive. Charity and Passion used to be trusting, but the apocalypse changed that. They live the only way they know how, which does tend to put them more towards the "bad" category. I enjoyed seeing how the characters developed and how their survival instincts played out.

The book starts off slowly and only picks up near the end. One of the reasons for this is the specific details the author gives about seemingly unimportant matters. For example, the author regales us with the specifics of how Jameson prepares a bear he caught hunting. It's almost a step-by-step instruction manual from how to skin it, to how to filet it, to how to cure the meat. Not only do the details slow the story, but they are also a bit too graphic. "Next, he ripped out its anus and threw it into a plastic bucket..."

In addition to the gratuitous descriptions, there were lines that seemed to be out of character with the serious nature of the rest of the book. These completely drew me out of the story, making me scratch my head when I read them. Passion is talking about her sister at one point, and says the following: "...it made her a bit jelly donut of her big sis." She is only fifteen, but she doesn't say anything remotely close to that anywhere else. Johnnie, an old man, is describing how he wants revenge and says this: "...it was on like Donkey Kong." If this is the author's way of inserting levity into solemn situations, he failed.

Furthermore, the book was not professionally edited. There were many errors, consisting of lack of apostrophes as well as homophone substitutions. "Their" is often written for "there" and "near bye" is substituted for "nearby." The errors were plentiful and distracting.

Overall, the book reads more like a post-apocalyptic survival manual than a fictional story. For that reason as well as the lack of editing, I give Apocalypse Life 2 out of 4 stars. This contains the bare bones of a story, but the unnecessary descriptions should be removed and more conflict added. I would recommend it to those that are interested in the hunting and handling of wild animals. Be forewarned, there is extreme violence as well as themes of rape and abuse.

Apocalypse Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Those types of grammar errors are distracting, as are random comments, but I appreciate your honest review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 15:50 Those types of grammar errors are distracting, as are random comments, but I appreciate your honest review.
They just seemed out of character. I mean jelly donut? Thanks for your comment! Always appreciated.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Jelly donut? That is bizarre. It's too bad there were so many errors. Such a shame when a book could be so great, but it misses the mark.

Thanks for the honest review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I don't even know anyone my age who says stuff like jelly donut for jealous or the donkey kong reference. That just seems odd and distracting. It's a pity because it sounds like it would have been an interesting read concept-wise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thanks for your very thorough review! I know to pass on this one. There doesn't sound like there is much here for me to like. :shock:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Hmmmm, I guess, this book will show another food eating habit for survival. Nice review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The plot is definitely simple yet one that can bring out the extreme dark side of the characters. i like your honest review that reveals both strong and weak points of the book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 17:36 Jelly donut? That is bizarre. It's too bad there were so many errors. Such a shame when a book could be so great, but it misses the mark.

Thanks for the honest review!
I know, right? It could be a good story, but it needs some work. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nisha Ward wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 18:52 I don't even know anyone my age who says stuff like jelly donut for jealous or the donkey kong reference. That just seems odd and distracting. It's a pity because it sounds like it would have been an interesting read concept-wise.
Yes! It just totally took me out of the story because it was unrealistic. Hopefully the author changes a few things. Thanks so much.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 22:12 Thanks for your very thorough review! I know to pass on this one. There doesn't sound like there is much here for me to like. :shock:
I completely understand. The play-by-play hunting references we're just too much. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

jeminah28 wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 04:01 Hmmmm, I guess, this book will show another food eating habit for survival. Nice review.
Yes! If you'd like to know how to make Pemmican, pick this book up. It's educational. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 05:31 The plot is definitely simple yet one that can bring out the extreme dark side of the characters. i like your honest review that reveals both strong and weak points of the book.
Thanks. You're sweet!
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Well, 2021 is just around the corner! The description of the two groups coming together seemed like an interesting start. The strong themes and the grammar would be frustrating. I enjoyed your insights about this book. Thanks.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 15:50 Well, 2021 is just around the corner! The description of the two groups coming together seemed like an interesting start. The strong themes and the grammar would be frustrating. I enjoyed your insights about this book. Thanks.
You're right. It is around the corner. Let's hope this doesn't come true. Thanks for your comment!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”