Review by Charlyt -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Charlyt -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Charlyt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What separates a boy from being a man? Four friends travel to different countries to try out new things and to experience new cultures, but most importantly, to have an extreme adventure to show themselves worthy to be real men. But is it only brute strength or the willingness to test one’s limit that defines being a man? Away from their adrenaline-filled excursions, the responsibilities of having a family, a high-paying job, and social obligations seem more difficult to tread than hiking with a twisted knee.

Man Mission is an adventure novel written by Eytan Uliel. Sam, the pyrotechnician, Daniel, the organizer, Alec, the bachelor, and our main protagonist, who keeps earning the Pink Bracelet for whining, have dubbed their expeditions as the Man Mission. Consisting of fifteen chapters, the author narrates the fifteen trips, spanning fifteen years, which includes hiking in New Zealand, kayaking in Fiji, biking in South Korea, and many others. Within their travels, they have created a Man Mission Charter which includes going beyond one’s limits, no luxuries allowed, and, of course, men only. But aside from their yearly outing, they must also deal with the Relationship Playbook wherein they transition from being bachelors to having a family of their own.  

What gave the book so much personality and charm were the four main characters. They were so varied in their traits and yet they complemented each other wonderfully. Even as book characters, their friendship was felt through the pages that they made me laugh aloud at times and even emotional. The way the book was narrated, which was written in the first-person perspective, was very casual and comfortable as if the main character was talking to another friend. I was also impressed by how much adventure the author could think of because each year was diverse and had its own complications, although they were probably inspired by his own excursions. What I also liked, and found amusing, was that the end of every chapter had a summary of their vital statistics which included the distance they traveled, the time they have taken, and the injuries they have sustained.

I absolutely loved this book and I didn’t have anything that I didn’t like about it. I think that it is a complete book wherein it drew my attention from the start and it played with emotions through superb writing. I also didn’t find any errors in it and it seemed like it was professionally edited. The chapters were written in a way wherein the highlight was the Man Mission trip of the year, but now and again, it gave a flashback to tell the story of their personal lives at home. Some might find this confusing or annoying but I didn’t have any problem with it all because I thought it was well done.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a wonderful story about adventure, reflection, friendship, and the struggle of what is expected of being a man in a man’s world. The book has some curse words in it so it is not for young adults, but I would recommend this to all adult readers whether they like adventure stories or not, and men and women alike. 

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Charlyt's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

The book seems very entertaining, and its plot uncommon. Your review is very well written and I'm glad to have read it.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A group of men taking getaways together each year, that have to be manly and adventuresome, sounds like an intriguing book to read. Great review!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 09:17 The book seems very entertaining, and its plot uncommon. Your review is very well written and I'm glad to have read it.
Thank you very much! It really is a great book and one of my favorite ones to have reviewed.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 14:19 A group of men taking getaways together each year, that have to be manly and adventuresome, sounds like an intriguing book to read. Great review!
It is all of that and is very heartfelt as well. It is such a great story. Thank you!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

According to your well-done review, this is a must-read. Friendship and adventure do not ever seem to mix with boredom. The transition into manhood is bound to be controversial and interesting.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

This is a book I have considered reading. Glad to hear that it is well written and enjoyable to read. Guess I will have to add it to my list!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Great to see that the characters were so different yet they complemented each other really well. I would like to read this book too. The story is unique and sounds fascinating too. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

DogoMulla wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 15:24 According to your well-done review, this is a must-read. Friendship and adventure do not ever seem to mix with boredom. The transition into manhood is bound to be controversial and interesting.
It definitely is a must-read. It is fun and has a good humor, and at the same time realistic enough for people to relate to. Thanks for your comment!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

angiejack456 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:19 This is a book I have considered reading. Glad to hear that it is well written and enjoyable to read. Guess I will have to add it to my list!
Definitely give it a go, I'm sure you will enjoy it as well. :)
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Kibetious wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 07:13 Great to see that the characters were so different yet they complemented each other really well. I would like to read this book too. The story is unique and sounds fascinating too. Thanks for the review.
The main characters and their relationship with each other were my favorite element of the book. Give it a try as well.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I read this book a while back, and like you, I loved every bit of it! From the endearing tone of the narrator, to the descriptions of the exotic locations, to the insights into the pressures of modern-day men, I thought this book had it all. I love your review. You mentioned some things that I really wanted to say but couldn't quite put into words in my own review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review Charlyt. I love how this book takes us through various lands and expeditions - those are my favorite themes!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A friendship that spans fifteen years and many adventures sounds intriguing. The varied settings would be fun to read about too. Great review. Thanks.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

unamilagra wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 10:29 I read this book a while back, and like you, I loved every bit of it! From the endearing tone of the narrator, to the descriptions of the exotic locations, to the insights into the pressures of modern-day men, I thought this book had it all. I love your review. You mentioned some things that I really wanted to say but couldn't quite put into words in my own review.
It was such a great book that I didn't have a hard time writing a good review for it. Thank you very much!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”