Review by Itskai88 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Itskai88 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

Post by Itskai88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi is the eighth book in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat- the Inca Cat Detective Series. It is amazing how great a book this is, the characters seem unlikely for the kind of story, but the author makes it work beautifully. The authors love for animals is evident in all 120 pages.

Inca introduced herself in the beginning; she describes herself as a super-cat detective. As she narrated the story, she sounded bold and in control as she talked about her detective agency that consists of her brother, Fromage, her Siamese sister, Cara, Terrance (the dog), and her other friends, Monk and Polo, and how they solve crime together. She also talks about how her human mom was invited to Korea to be a judge in an international cooking competition by Le Cordon Bleu, which had both North and South Korean participants. This event also had other agendas like peacekeeping between the two Korean nations. If this trip didn’t happen, she probably may have never met Baram or even heard of Bo-Mi and all the adventures that took place after that would not have happened. What new challenges will Inca and her team face in an unfamiliar country?

Immediately I saw a cat in a Hanbok I knew I was going to read it. I liked that there was a family tree of the characters and all in the first few pages; it gives a summary of the household and an introduction of the characters. From the beginning, I liked Inca’s; she never avoided challenges, she always tried to stay positive, and she was self-confident. The relationship between Baram (a dog) and Bo-Mi (a cat) was skilfully portrayed.

I enjoyed the author’s writing style, for example, the description of the Siberian Tiger’s painting, the play on words like “purrrfect”, I found myself smiling on multiple occasions. I like how Inca knew her heritage/ancestry; this can be used by parents as a reference when explaining things like these to kids. I discovered that there were so many lessons to learn from neatness to teamwork, peace, the importance of family kindness, healthy competition, loyalty, and genuine friendship. The representation of the Korean culture was impressive, I could see the beauty of the country, and I was pleased. I like that this book feels like a subtle political statement calling for peace amongst nations. There were so many things I liked about this book, no dislikes at all.

From the beginning, I could already see editing, spacing, and text on top text errors. I am not sure if this is particular to my copy only, but it was quite a lot. That said, it wasn’t too distracting, and the errors found can be corrected with proper editing. I will recommend that although this is a children’s book, parents should read it to younger kids as it can be confusing to them because of the errors, and they might not get the message. I will also recommend this to adults who would like to take baby steps in experiencing other countries and cultures. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are so many good messages that kids will benefit from, but I had to deduct a star because of the errors I found.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Itskai88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I have read this book. I really like how you reviewed this book. Great review!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Anthony__ wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 17:56 I have read this book. I really like how you reviewed this book. Great review!
Thank you so much.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

This kind of imagination is so captivating. I have also written a review on this book and I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the personification of the cats so hilarious. Thanks for your interesting observations.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

It's really unfortunate that there were so many issues. Otherwise it seems like an excellent book.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html

Post by labibliofile »

I just finished reading this book and I love how you've picked up several details from the book like how Inca's family tree can be used to teach the child about their own family tree! Thank you for the interesting review! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

chiefsimplex wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 16:34 This kind of imagination is so captivating. I have also written a review on this book and I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the personification of the cats so hilarious. Thanks for your interesting observations.
I agree, the authors imagination was impressive. Thank you.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

What a purrrfect review! Its unfortunate that a children's book has errors. Hope the author rectifies.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Delaney35 wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 20:42 It's really unfortunate that there were so many issues. Otherwise it seems like an excellent book.
It sure is a good book for what it is worth. Thank you.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

labibliofile wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 02:26 I just finished reading this book and I love how you've picked up several details from the book like how Inca's family tree can be used to teach the child about their own family tree! Thank you for the interesting review! :)
Thank you for stopping by and noticing my points, I did found those aspects of the book useful.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This is a really nice review. I will love to read this book though the numerous errors can be very discouraging.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book for children to read or to be read to. I hope the author cleans up the errors soon. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with so many of the points you highlight in your review. The author's love for cats, the numerous values she teaches through her characters, and the lovely descriptions enrich her stories. Her stories make me laugh, too! Thanks for such an enjoyable review!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the travel references in this children’s book. Thanks for the review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I read this book on my Kindle and was disturbed by the incorrect formatting. The beautiful illustrations would sometimes appear on the wrong page. I agree that this book provides many ways to introduce educational topics to children in a fun way.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”