Official Review: A quiet place to grow by Lysa Rochelle

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: A quiet place to grow by Lysa Rochelle

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A quiet place to grow" by Lysa Rochelle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In life, some young women are exceptionally blessed to have a mother and best friend built in one. In other cases, some women are lucky to escape their childhood lives and be able to successfully build a life for themselves. In A Quiet Place to Grow, author Lysa Rochelle tells the story of a young woman who has been dealt a hand of turmoil in her adolescent life.

Published in August of 2018, A Quiet Place to Grow features Deloris Toliver as the main character and revolves around the relationships she has with her mother, father, sisters and several significant men who have treated her with less respect than any woman deserves. Finding out she's pregnant at age 16 was hard enough, but being unsure of who fathered her child and a traumatizing childhood seems more than the young woman can handle. When Deloris is forced to marry Jasper, the man most likely to have fathered her child, the two are thrown head first in a life that neither had pictured. Threated with a rape accusation, Jasper agrees to marry Deloris, although that means giving up everything he had planned for himself.

When a dangerous man from her past shows up, Deloris is forced to face the possibility that her life could begin to get even more complicated. As her mother stirs up lies and drama with the ultimate goal of elaborately making Deloris miserable, her only way out seems to be to rise over the odds against her. When even more secrets from her past are pulled to light, Deloris is forced to face her demons, allowing her the perfect opportunity to see just once and for all why her family seems to have always turned their backs to her.

Family drama seems to be the most prominent theme expressed in A Quiet Place to Grow. While the story does feature a bit of romance, this is certainly not your average "page-turning romance novel." The in-depth drama and constant battling that the main character is faced with seems a bit overbearing at times, but ultimately adds a connection between the reader and Deloris. I found myself rooting for the young girl, in hopes that she would finally be able to escape her horrible past and have an opportunity to make a decent life for herself. The character development from the first few chapters to the last is what I would consider one of the best depictions of growing up that could be portrayed in a novel with such a deep background into a desperate childhood. There are triggering themes within the story that some readers may be uncomfortable reading. With lengthy details into the life of child prostitution, abuse and rape, it's fair to say that this story isn't a match for everyone.

I was pleased with the editing services for A Quiet Place to Grow, as I was able to read the story smoothly without pause due to errors. I did feel at times that the story seemed to change direction rather suddenly and then just as suddenly revert back to the original ideas. Although the back and forth did feel overwhelming at times, I wouldn't expect less from a story with this much depth. Always a fan of an entertaining plot twist, A Quiet Place to Grow did not disappoint with the ability to keep me second guessing how the ending would play out. I'm pleased to rate A Quiet Place to Grow 3 out of 4 stars and would recommend to readers who are looking for something to completely become engulfed in. While I wish I could give a full 4-star rating, I did feel that parts of the story seemed a bit over the top, but as a true fan dramatic reads, I was able to put my expectations aside and enjoy the story in a way the author intended.

A quiet place to grow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an emotional read. I love these books about relationships and family dynamics!
Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do hope the protagonist can overcome her difficult past and move towards a great future. It does sound mostly drama-oriented. I'm not sure its themes would be for me, but I appreciate your review anyway. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I would probably read this book and then have a big cry. It is horrible that any human should suffer especially a child. Thank you.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

I'm not super into the family drama stuff, it gives me anxiety! Some aspects of the plot reminded me a little of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which also gave me anxiety. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It's nice to see that the focus of this story is growth, not romance. Most books seem to claim that you need to be loved by some perfect man to be happy, but I like that this story advocates for one to love herself first. Thanks for the review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I am already thinking about what Deloris must have been through. I love the plot. It looks like you are impressed with the characterization. Congratulations to the Author. Writing family drama is not an easy fleet, as it can turn cliched with few mistakes. I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the detailed review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Thank you all for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”