Review by diana lowery -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by diana lowery -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard L. Haight invites readers to use The Unbound Soul as a travel guide for their own spiritual journeys. He outlines the steps that he took to achieve his goal and presents a way for the universe to find peace.

Part One - "My Story" documents the author's life from his childhood vision (where he saw Jesus as a boneless body giving him a mission), through his teenage years (where he battled with a learning disability), to a quest in the Amazon as an adult. When the author was 17, he witnessed "the dazzling display of rays of light intersected with particles of dust floating in the air." This scene is one of the examples where I was able to relate to Haight because I have vivid memories of seeing this as a child while my teacher explained that we should realize that God inhabits every speck. Narratives in "My Story" often revolve around martial arts training. At one point, an instructor had Haight hold a gun to his head and pull the trigger. Haight followed the instructions without question. This event made the author aware of his suicidal tendencies. Stories such as the one about being able to "see" the winning raffle ticket are hard to believe, but they don't hinder appreciation. Because the book was not written to be a simple memoir, the lack of details are less annoying. This section of the book merely serves as background credibility for the lessons that the author teaches in the remaining chapters.

Part Two - "The Path" is the shortest section with five chapters. This section was my least favorite part as it required rereading to grasp the ideas that were presented. The author goes into detail about Isness, the Warrior's Method, meditation techniques, and pitfalls. The passages on Electromagnetic Spectrum Classes and Conscious Frequency Classes were beyond my comprehension, but they should prove valuable to mathematically minded readers.

Part Three - "Daily Enfoldment" deals with mystical experiences such as the description of the locked car incident. The inclusion of these anecdotes makes this section palatable. Without the interesting tales, chapters dealing with taking care of the physical and mental body would be a repetition of common knowledge. A redeeming factor in this part is that Haight explains that his teaching is not a belief system. He says, "It comes from direct experiences and is to help others set aside biases, assumptions, and beliefs, so they can experience life more directly for themselves." This revelation was helpful in knowing the author's purpose in telling his story.

Part Four - "Soul and Spirit" is the final section and ties up the earlier parts. Haight further explains the unfolding process and discusses his multiverse view that every atom has immortal soul. Also, in this final section, the author comes back to his original mission: to find the bones of Jesus.

This is a well edited book; in fact, Haight mentioned in an interview that he purposely hired an expensive editor, and I appreciated the results. Another facet that I liked was the decision to include all religious beliefs through quotations and explanations which makes it a book for all belief systems. Because of the universal appeal and the unique format of this self-help memoir, I am rating it as a 4 out of 4. I think that everyone who reads this book will receive a beneficial message that is specifically for them. The author refers to these as inspirences. He writes that "Reading alone is insufficient... It will take sincere dedication." Those words should serve as a caution to anyone looking for a quick unbounding.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like diana lowery's review? Post a comment saying so!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Your in-depth analysis of this book makes me easy to understand what each chapter is all about. I am currently reading this book and I must say I like it as well. Thanks for the brilliant review.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I enjoyed how this book was not limited to a single religion, making it enjoyable for a broad audience! Thanks for your fantastic and thorough review :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This book truly is inclusive of all belief systems. That was something that impressed me as well, when I read this book. Thank you for a great review! :)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Anyone wishing to read the book as indicated, should think and ponder about it first indeed. I read the book and I found a lot of insights that are of help to me although I do not agree with all the propositions of the author. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

It seems like this book will really make you rethink what is believed as a norm and the format of the story which is in the form of a travel guide makes it even more interesting! Thank you for your review and recommendation! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love your parting shot! The book seems to have some hard bones to chew - which reminds me of the author's strange mission - finding the bones of Jesus? I wonder what that means. Thanks for the detailed review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Cotwani wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 07:09 I love your parting shot! The book seems to have some hard bones to chew - which reminds me of the author's strange mission - finding the bones of Jesus? I wonder what that means. Thanks for the detailed review!
Thanks for your compliment. I think "finding the bones" is metaphorical.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

labibliofile wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 11:40 It seems like this book will really make you rethink what is believed as a norm and the format of the story which is in the form of a travel guide makes it even more interesting! Thank you for your review and recommendation! :)
I appreciate your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Kibetious wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 09:50 Anyone wishing to read the book as indicated, should think and ponder about it first indeed. I read the book and I found a lot of insights that are of help to me although I do not agree with all the propositions of the author. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading my review. I agree that most readers could find something valuable in the book.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Firefawkes wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 13:30 I enjoyed how this book was not limited to a single religion, making it enjoyable for a broad audience! Thanks for your fantastic and thorough review :)
Thank you for your comments.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

aolayide wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 10:11 Your in-depth analysis of this book makes me easy to understand what each chapter is all about. I am currently reading this book and I must say I like it as well. Thanks for the brilliant review.
It looks like we both also read Gringo . Thanks for reading my review.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

diana lowery wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 08:56
aolayide wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 10:11 Your in-depth analysis of this book makes me easy to understand what each chapter is all about. I am currently reading this book and I must say I like it as well. Thanks for the brilliant review.
It looks like we both also read Gringo . Thanks for reading my review.
Pleasure :D :tiphat:
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I have read several reviews on this book and while your review gives it a four out of four rating, I am not convinced to read this book because it is evident to me that this may be a 'spiritual book' it is not Christian literature. All though I acknowledge that many things are not black and white, there are definitely some important key issues on which we have to realize that we either pick life or death and this deals with many such issues with the author's opinion which is truths and false mingled and I rather not try to glean truth from falsehood.
Thanks for the review nonetheless.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thank you for reading my review. I think your analysis is accurate.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”