Official Review: Her Blackened Soul by Isra Sravenheart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Her Blackened Soul by Isra Sravenheart

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Blackened Soul" by Isra Sravenheart.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantasy and dark magic snake their way through the pages of Her Blackened Soul. Written by Isra Sravenheart, the novel tells the tale of a villainous witch named Isra who lives in a tower. Naturally, she detests humans and her atrocious deeds have caused the townspeople to fear her. Although she likes animals, many of them avoid her ever since she killed a dragon and took its power. Despite this, the evil witch is befriended by a serpent named Romeo. Romeo predicts the mysterious appearance of a man in Isra’s life. When he shows up and makes a licentious request concerning women, she decides to make him her slave. Together with a peculiarly helpful raven called Astrid, Isra proceeds to torture the young man for his immorality. In the process, she realizes something remarkable about herself.

This fantasy tale has a strong Disney-inspired vibe to it in terms of its characters and setting. Things like the witch’s tower in the woods, talking animals, and poisoned foodstuff are key elements in both Disney movies and in this story. I would even compare the story to the TV series called Once Upon A Time which is largely based on fairytales. I liked this aspect of the book the most because it softened the theme of ‘dark magic’ and made it more playful. It also enhanced the fantasy elements of the novel. Furthermore, the story was written from a villain’s perspective which was a refreshing and unique twist.

Unfortunately, the writing style of this novel was terribly amateur. At first, I thought the book was written for younger audiences because of the poor word choice and the artlessly constructed sentences. However, Isra was nearly thirty years old plus the book mentioned sex and infidelity, so I think that the author intended it to be read by adult readers. But, this disconnect between the writing style and the adult content in the book was jarring.

In addition to this, I really disliked the repetitiveness in the story. Throughout the entire book, Isra’s evil reputation was mentioned. The characteristics and actions of some of the other main characters were also repeated. However, what I disliked the most was the inadequate character development that constricted the flow of the story. For example, Isra did not have a credible motive for her wicked ways. As a reader, I struggled to understand her character and why she behaved the way she did. A detailed backstory would have been extremely helpful, but sadly it was missing. Random characters also popped into the story such as an owl. This left me wondering where they fit into the bigger picture and why they did certain things. Similarly, there was no agenda behind Astrid’s sudden appearance in the book and his willingness to assist Isra in her evil actions.

There were seven grammatical errors in the story which included typos, punctuation mistakes, and missing words. I considered this, the book’s poor writing style, its inadequate character development, and repetitiveness before rating it 2 out of 4 stars. Her Blackened Soul is likely to attract young adult and adult readers who like fantasy stories about supernatural characters like witches and magical animals. I wouldn’t recommend it to children because of the adult themes in it.

Her Blackened Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's too bad the writing fell short because the plot sounds like it could make a great story. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a good premise, but it needs some work. I live that it reminded you of Disney. I think I'll wait until this one is revised a bit before picking it up myself. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 15:35 It sounds like a good premise, but it needs some work. I live that it reminded you of Disney. I think I'll wait until this one is revised a bit before picking it up myself. Thanks.
Yeah, its best to wait until a better revision comes out indeed. Thanks for commenting!
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

The premise of the story is quite interesting. A lot of work however needs to be done here. Thanks for the good review
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's a shame that the sex and infidelity were in the book, otherwise it might have made a good book for younger audiences. Hopefully, the author will take your criticism constructively and fix the flaws. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Lovers of fantasy will appreciate this, it’s too dark for my taste. Thanks for your review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A witch in a tower and a serpent named Romeo sounded intriguing. I hope the author will rework this because it looks intriguing. Thanks.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Ahhh it is so frustrating when you have the promise of a good story, but it just doesn't deliver! It is too bad about the poor editing. That alone will drive away interested readers. But throw in the clumsy sentence structure as well, no thanks. Great review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"This fantasy tale has a strong Disney-inspired vibe to it in terms of its characters and setting. Things like the witch’s tower in the woods, talking animals, and poisoned foodstuff are key elements in both Disney movies and in this story. I would even compare the story to the TV series called Once Upon A Time which is largely based on fairytales. I liked this aspect of the book the most because it softened the theme of ‘dark magic’ and made it more playful. It also enhanced the fantasy elements of the novel. Furthermore, the story was written from a villain’s perspective which was a refreshing and unique twist."

According to this, Isra somehow similar Maleficent from Angelina Jolie’s movie. Also, I wonder if the serpent Romeo was named after Shakespeare's character? :lol:
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Inadequate character development, and repetitiveness killed the book. So sad, I actually though I would give it a try. Thank you for the head's up!
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

The plot sounds intriguing and I would have loved to read a Disney inspired book. It is so unfortunate that the writing style is not appealing. Thanks for your honest review!
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Great Review! Adding this one to my TBR pile for sure! :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”