Official Review: The Painted Cross by Hunter Dennis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Painted Cross by Hunter Dennis

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Painted Cross" by Hunter Dennis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Painted Cross is Hunter Dennis's second book in the Crimson Heirloom series. I reviewed the first book in the series just over a year ago and gave it 4 stars. Out of all the books I have reviewed on this site, it was definitely one of my favorites. When I saw its sequel pop up on the review list I jumped at the chance, unwilling to let it go to anyone else.

Sometimes sequels have a hard time living up to their prequels, but this was not the case for The Painted Cross. Once again, Dennis has proved himself to be a master storyteller. As it's been quite some time since I finished the first book and there are a number of characters to keep track of, all in different times and places, I thought I was going to have to ease into it. But Dennis helpfully inserted a list of characters at the very beginning that helped jog my memory. I took notes just so I wouldn't have to flip back and forth, but ended up not needing them because these characters are so memorable! I would even go as far as to say that there is no need to remember names in this series. Dennis is such a talented author that each character has his or her own voice and an aura completely unique to themselves.

On to the story. The Painted Cross picks up right where The Crimson Heirlooms left off. Estelle wears the Cross of Nantes and is hit by the carriage of the man whose family it used to belong to. Guillaume leaves Grenoble and enters Paris to pursue his dream of becoming a writer, settling down after his rabble-rousing. Almost 50 years later, Jake is sent to Haiti by Monsieur Tyran in order to search for the lost artifacts, but fully intends to fake his own death and sneak home. Each of them finds blessings and curses in abundance.

The theme in this novel was definitely character development. I was astounded by the slow but sure changes being made in each character's thought processes. They are so realistic -- cause and effect reactions brought on by the environments the characters find themselves in. The changes in Guillaume and Estelle were especially shocking to me, personally. Estelle was my favorite character, and by the end of this book I wasn't sure how to feel about her anymore. I felt like a family member, holding love for her deep in my heart and wanting the best for her, but knowing that she was self-destructing right before my eyes. This is just more proof that Dennis is an expert in his craft, able to construct a world with lifelike characters and giving the readers front row seats throughout all the events.

I did find myself taking notes of over 10 errors throughout the book, something that I don't remember being a problem with its prequel. However, most of the errors were minor, things such as using a period when a question mark was needed, and honestly in a book with over 500 pages it's only natural that there be a few more errors than books with half that length. The errors did not affect me or my reading pace at all.

Overall, I was thrilled that The Painted Cross lived up the expectations I had after reading the first book in its series. I am thoroughly in love with all of the characters and cannot wait to see what will happen in the next book. Obviously the first book must be read before this one, but I would highly recommend both books in the series to fans of historical fiction who enjoy drama and a bit of suspense. Dennis is a master at transporting readers back in time and making them feel as if they are actually in that time period, watching the events around them take place. I have absolutely no issues giving The Painted Cross 4 out of 4 stars and will be waiting with bated breath to find out what happens next.

The Painted Cross
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I know how it feels when a sequel lets you down. I am glad, that this book did not disappoint you. Character development is the spine of storytelling. if a writer gets it right, the book will be a hit. I think I might enjoy this series. Thanks for the detailed review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Well-done historical fiction with great character development? Where do I sign up? This sounds like a read worth the time. It's a great sign that the author has you emotionally conflicted over the choices of your favorite character, and that you are already looking forward to the sequel. Thanks for an awesome review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad there were more errors in this than the first, but I'm glad they weren't major. I love when I'm able to review the first and subsequent books in a series. Sounds like these are books worth reading. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I like it when reviewers are able to read more than one book in a series. I feel like it gives a more accurate review of how one book flows to the next. Glad you enjoyed it and the errors didn't slow you down.
Sgim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sgim »

It is my first time to read this..well done thanks😊
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

The storyline sounds quite intriguing, one that will keep the reader's attention until the very end. Thank you for the great review.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

These book seems like a great match to its prequel. Thank you for this well-written review.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Its good that the author made the series enjoyable. Your review has ignitted my interest in the first series. By this, one would flow with the story.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for that review. This book caught my eye and I was immediately curious if I would like it. I am glad to read that you are familiar with the first book in the series as well. Sounds like a good series that is well written.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Keeping names and personalities straight after a whole year's break is high praise for the author. I like the plot and the setting of the story, so I think I'll start with the first book. Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like quite the story just by itself. I can't believe it's already the second part of a story. Thanks for the review, I think I'll look into this as you made it sound superb!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book to read and something I would like. Do you think someone would understand what is going on, without reading the first book? Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have neither read the prequel of this book nor this book itself, but I am glad that the author did not disappoint readers who read his first book. Thanks for the review. I am considering to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”