Official Review: Make It Rain by Vercie Lark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Make It Rain by Vercie Lark

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Make It Rain" by Vercie Lark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Make It Rain by Vercie Lark is a simple, yet informative nonfiction text that can assist those who need some financial advice. With just over one-hundred pages, Mr. Lark presents readers a step-by-step approach on how to accumulate wealth in order to provide financial security for themselves and their families.

This ten-step program covers a number of financial topics. From setting up an educational goal to investment opportunities to retirement suggestions, the author seems to cover a lot of basics in considering how to become wealthy. Within each step, there is a “Make it Rain” section where the author summarizes his thoughts in an easy-to-understand fashion.

One of my favorite aspects of the book was the author’s conversational tone and openness while communicating his ideas. Mr. Lark shared some of the financial mistakes he’s made and what he learned from them. For instance, he believed a “get-rich-quick” scheme and lost several thousands of dollars. Though this wasn’t his best decision, he learned to never fall for them again while urging others to do the same. Including some of his mistakes may help readers feel comfortable and less embarrassed of financial decisions they have made.

Though seemingly simple, money can be an area where many struggle and it’s great to have Make It Rain as a resource. As the author has said, a typical education does not actually teach how to invest, save for retirement, and generally be financially smart. Just the simple act of analyzing what is needed versus what is desired or putting away a small part of one's weekly checks could amount to a lot for the future. Then, the advice of reanalyzing one's budget when life events occur was a part of the book I found myself agreeing with everything that was said. Getting married, planning for a baby, buying a new car, and purchasing a home are some of the reasons that people would need to revise their budget. Seemingly simple, but how many people actually do this?

On the other hand, I did find some of the information to be a bit overwhelming. A main example would be when Mr. Lark presented several investment-related terms and their definitions. These terms were not used in context, instead they seemed almost like a glossary part-way through the book. Along with it being overwhelming, it also disrupted the writing flow. Luckily, this didn’t happen too often, which made the remaining text more comprehensive.

I found the book to be practical, handy, and even eye-opening. Even with its overwhelming section and a handful of errors, I rate Make It Rain a 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to young college students and even some grown adults who would like to think about the future and how to manage their money better.

Make It Rain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Anindya W
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anindya-w.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anindya W »

This sounds like a great book. The author seemed to have written an excellent and complete guide to "Make it Rain". Thanks for the wonderful review!
Jannat06
Currently Reading: For the Love of God
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jannat06 »

as I am a teacher of English,I find this book very useful for young adults,but a bit boring!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Mr. Lark seems to have impressed you. So I think that would make us two. Your review is impressive too. Good work.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like there's a lot of good advice about money in this book. I think (unless maybe you're a billionaire) we could all use more tips about how to save for retirement, etc... What a great resource. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

This is the first I've heard of this book and it seems so useful! Thanks for the review, very helpful.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I love the title of the book and that he included sections of tips with the same title. It sounds like a great financial resource. Thanks for the good review.
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

As someone who has been touched by financial distress, this book appeals to me. It looks like a real life-line to those with monetary problems or just people who need help getting organized. Great review.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think reading this book is very appropriate these times. I am looking forward to read this book to gain some financial knowledge, I think Mr. Lark will be a great mentor.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Given the childish look of the cover, I would never have guessed that this was a financial book for adults! It looks more like a parenting book on teaching your child about money! I agree that it could be a valuable resource to have on hand though. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
P0werfull12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by P0werfull12 »

Given the childish look of the cover, I would never have guessed that this was a financial book for adults! It looks more like a parenting book on teaching your child about money! I agree that it could be a valuable resource to have on hand though. Thanks for the review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This book sounds like an excellent financial resource- especially with the "Make it Rain" summaries. And I appreciate that he is forthcoming about his own financial mistakes. Also, revisiting your budget with each new life event seems to be a simple concept- but often overlooked. Thank you for a great review! :)
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I find such books very useful and how great that the author is being honest about his own financial mistakes. Planning one's budget in a proper way may become a very simple road to comfortable life. Even being adult, I would gratefully take some good advices. Amazing review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The focus on the simple and practical aspects of money management is important since, as you point out, we do not learn these skills in school. Some sections of the book might be over my head, but the majority of the content looks captivating and useful. Thanks for the great recommendation.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

This sounds as if it contains a lot of useful and practical advice about financial matters. A book that anyone interested in improving their financial decisions should read. Great review. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”