Review by Hayley2-0 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Hayley2-0 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Hayley2-0 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a boat is adrift, it means that it’s floating without being moored or steered. Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is based on sea travel. It is also a story of survival.

It all starts at sea in a container ship. Captain Steve and his crew members realize that the ship is on fire. They try their best to resolve the situation, but the fire has already spread. Some crew members get hurt, and they give up and abandon the ship. They use two lifeboats to save themselves, but they get separated and lose radio contact. Captain Steve’s lifeboat leads them to a desert, and they have to find their way out. Myra's father, William, is aboard the container ship when it catches on fire. Myra gathers her friends to help her find her father. Larry and Louise, who are listening in on the ship’s distress broadcast, set out to find the ship. Their mission isn’t to save the crew but to get to the ship and claim it. They, however, have to beat their competition to it.

I like Captain Steve’s spirit the most. I feel a deep connection to him when he loses the ship and his crew members. He feels guilty for losing the ship, and he cares for his crew members. He is also ready to sink with his ship. I like how the author uses his character to demonstrate the characteristics of a good leader. I also love how the scenes flow. I’m not a fan of sea travel or stories about it, but I’m a fan of this story. It's written in a way that makes me enjoy reading about what happens aboard a ship. Now I know that lifeboats are essential, but they can be dangerous in bad weather. I also like reading about hope and perseverance.

The only thing I don't like about this book is the complex vocabulary. I don’t enjoy stopping to check words in the dictionary. The vocabulary is foreign to me because this is the only story about sea travel that I’ve read. Adrift is a stand-alone sequel to Strong Heart.

The book has no grammatical errors. It's worth reading, and it's inspiring. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people who love the sea. Readers who like adventures on boats and ships will enjoy this story. Any person who is open to trying something new and captivating will enjoy this book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hayley2-0's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Great review! I am currently reading this book, and I was afraid that I might some spoilers in your review. I didn't! Thanks for your analysis!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I love your observation of the captain. I also notice that he beats himself up over his decision to abandon ship. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Every review I've read makes this seem like a great book, despite the technical vocabulary used. I definitely need to give it a read. Great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I like Captain Steve’s spirit the most. I feel a deep connection to him when he loses the ship and his crew members. He feels guilty for losing the ship, and he cares for his crew members. He is also ready to sink with his ship. I like how the author uses his character to demonstrate the characteristics of a good leader. I also love how the scenes flow. I’m not a fan of sea travel or stories about it, but I’m a fan of this story. It's written in a way that makes me enjoy reading about what happens aboard a ship. Now I know that lifeboats are essential, but they can be dangerous in bad weather. I also like reading about hope and perseverance.
It takes an outstanding person to be a good Captain and be willing to sacrifice for his crew. I'm sure this is an interesting character and I grew up reading sailors' tales, so this brings back some nice memories.
Thank you!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This book sounds quite interesting; what with the multiple characters, with their own points of view and goals, but all trying to get to the same place. Thanks for the review. Out of all of yours, I like this one best.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Also wrote a review on this book and was intrigued by the author's ability to sustain reader curiosity throughout.Indeed captain steve was an admirable vigilante ,his integrity added another precious piece of moral to the tale.I also admired William's personality for similar reasons.I am glad you noted the mind-boggling vocabulary ,almost felt like a chore reading some parts of this book especially some technical jargon on manning the ship.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I haven't read this book but I will give it a try..Thanks for review
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I just finished this book and I agree with you that sometimes it is difficult to understand the nautical terminology. However, I did enjoy it, also. Good review!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I try my best not to have spoilers in my review because that will violate the guidelines
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I just finished reviewing this book as well. I also loved Captain Steve, he was a great character. You could really feel all of his complicated emotions regarding his ship and crew. I personally didn't mind the technical ship jargon so much, I just sort of skimmed over it and pictured something "shippy". Great review!
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

Great review and you didn't give anything away. I have a favorite character, Sarah. If I tell you specifically why it gives away some of her purpose in the book. I can tell you she is a pivotal character and strong beyind her years. She alsp helps make the book relative. Awesome review.
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

wow, you have talents for writing reviews, your review has piqued my interest more on the book. I selected it already.
Nice reviews.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I am half way through reading Adrift but, after reading this review, I feel like I already know the end. The Captain is a wonderful person who tried everything he can to protect his crew and to stay strong for them amidst their challenges.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Thank you for the review. I'm reading this book as well. I'm glad to hear that you had a connection with one of the characters. As a reader, it's essential to feel connected to the characters in the story because that is what drives our desire to see what happens next. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”