Official Review: The Devil's Dragon by Jason F Boggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Devil's Dragon by Jason F Boggs

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil's Dragon by Jason F. Boggs chronicles the clashing of two astronomical armies and the relentless efforts made to stop the two power-hungry world leaders.

The year is 2094 and the Aesini, an alien race, has enjoyed peace for years until Seghol, the high priest, cajoles the king to go into war against the humans. Despite the chiefs’ objections, Seghol cunningness wins and his army wages war against the earth’s inhabitants. Meanwhile, Jacob Freeman has his eyes set on becoming the world leader in charge of the New Era. After a period of grueling training, Nelson Jones is placed as part of Freeman’s security detail. At first, he is proud to serve the future leader of the New World Government. When the death toll continues to rise massively, and Nelson witnesses various gruesome murders, he starts to question his stand.

I liked that The Devil’s Dragon is fast-paced and at every turn, action scenes appear. This keeps the story entertaining from start to finish. The action scenes are riveting and sometimes gruesome and the unpredictability of what might happen next makes reading thrilling. From the beginning, Nelson Jones faces daunting challenges and too many times he comes so close to death. He witnesses the loss of people close to him and almost every day becomes another fight for survival.

I was also intrigued by how the events of the alien world are paralleled to those of the earth up to the point where both meet. This adds an interesting twist to the book and breaks the monotony of the narration of episodes from just one planet. The Aesini possess features that are fascinating and the addition of their spiritual believes makes the novel even more enthralling. Alene, the Keerof chieftain’s daughter is stubborn and courageous. Her strong-mindedness and self-assurance lead her on a different path from her mother’s which adds an extra fascinating strand to the plot. The conflict activated by Freeman and Seghol is fearsome and even the confident Alene doubts their chance of winning the war.

Both ends of the plot are well developed and they tie together which I appreciated. The conflicts are solved and explained in the book. However, there were many characters and details to remember as I read through the story.

The Devil's Dragon by Jason F. Boggs is professionally edited and contains only a few grammatical errors. It is a page-turner and a treat for any lover of science-fiction. Readers who are not fans of the genre may not enjoy the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Devil's Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems often in this genre that the authors like to use tons of characters. It's pretty typical, but it's hard to keep them all straight sometimes. Nevertheless, it seems like you enjoyed this one greatly. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds well constructed, with the plots on both planets coming together neatly. Alene sounds like a strong female character, something I always appreciate.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a riveting science fiction novel, and I think it will have to be added to my list for further reading. Good review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Two power-hungry world leaders creates a believable premise. It's curious that in the year 2094 the leaders are kings and high priests! This sounds intriguing. Thanks for the interesting review.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I love it. I'm always down for a saucy heroine and the explosion that comes from two rival powers coming head-to-head. What happens when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object? I'll have to note this on my wish list! Thanks for the review.
Ojehomon Pascal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ojehomon Pascal »

Am a big fan of Sci-fi, and the unpredictability of this in particular makes it a Game of Thrones for me.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

This book could act as a script for a Science-fiction movie for those of us that love such action packed movies. Great review.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like a great story and nothing beats a story back with action from the sci-fi genre. Thanks for an intriguing and exciting review.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

With series of action scenes that occurred at every turn makes it an entertaining book to read.
Thanks for the review
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. The cover image of the book is really alluring and while I cannot say the same about my interest in the book, it would certainly make for a great read for a few others.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”