Review by Hayley2-0 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Hayley2-0 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Hayley2-0 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book by Len Foley. The book title doesn’t have the word smelly by chance. Sigfried is a very smelly and funny child.

He starts the book by telling the reader why his book smells so bad. The book some has forgotten pizza, jelly, urine and mucus among other disgusting things. Sigfried then talks about the socks under his bed, and he tells us why they smell worse than his book. One pair smells like a toilet seat, and there are funnier and more disgusting smells involved. If you smell the purple socks, you'll pass out. In the end, Sigfried gladly shares how he cleans his socks. I can't decide whether his cleaning method is hilarious or repulsive.

This book is the funniest children’s book I’ve read in a while. Sigfried’s hygiene is out of line, and this is both disgusting and hilarious. I like how unique the author’s idea is. Most children’s books are usually about morals and adventure, but Sigfried’s story is only meant to be funny.

I like the illustrations in the book. They are funny and attractive, and they help to understand what Sigfried is doing. There is an illustration of a man with a big nose and head. This guy seems to be everywhere, but he says nothing. I find his drawing very entertaining.

Sigfried’s behavior might make it seem like it’s a good thing to be unhygienic. That is what I like least about the book

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well edited, and I found no grammatical errors. I think the author does a great job of making this book funny. I recommend it to kids aged 2 to 10 years. This book will make them laugh. I don’t recommend this book to children who are easily disgusted. It will put them off.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hayley2-0's review? Post a comment saying so!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I also really liked this one. Excellent review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's quite refreshing to note that you and a great number of our fellow readers have found great worth from this piece despite the usual connotations and denotations derivable from its title, cover, and theme. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Haha! I love that you warned off kids who are easily disgusted. That says a lot about the great descriptions in this book, doesn't it? Great job on the summary! Nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Hey, you made me realise something - the book's title and cover illustration give away the smelly source right off! I guess the fun is in the journey not the destination, right? Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I reviewed this book too. Some of the humor was a little too gross, but I agree, kids will find it hilarious. Great review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how concise the review is; this is something I admire seeing as I personally have not mastered the art of brevity in writing reviews. Good job.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

True that the author's portrayal of Sigfried’s habits might suggest that such unhygienic conditions can be tolerated, but I believe his intention was merely to make the book funny. Thanks for the amazing and detailed review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sigfried’s behavior might make it seem like it’s a good thing to be unhygienic. That is what I like least about the book
I don't like the idea that the book sends the message of being unhygienic as something to applaud, but I think kids can enjoy such a funny book and their caregivers can turn this idea around and show them a lesson on hygiene.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for your review. I also read and reviewed this book, and I was similarly delighted by Sigfried. Despite his stench, he is still mischievous and lovable!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Exactly, this is the funniest book in children's genre. Though there is nothing to learn about much, still we can teach children that such untidy boy is not admired by anyone. However, it's good for laugh. Thanks for this interesting review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I also like the bright illustrations. Details are gross still the book can teach children the importance of being clean and tiddy. Thanks for tge review hayley.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Disgusting yet hilarious.Surely the author has put some work into audience targeting.I think Len Foley's work is impressive,kids can relate.Again your observation that the author's focus is not on hygiene but rather humor, is right on point.I like it when artists appreciate humor just for its sake.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Thank you for an honest appraisal and funny review! I am not sure if I would find the book amusing or disgusting. :) But you have certainly peaked my curiosity with your review- and now I may have to read the book.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Good review! It was hard for me to review this one because it's too small to avoid spoilers. I believe I was more disgusted by the smells than entertained. Now that you mention it, I feel that a moral (even if subtly told) would have been nice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”