Review by Skye45 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Skye45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye45.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Review by Skye45 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Skye45 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift opens with a scene that grabs on to you tight and doesn’t let go. A ship on fire with the possibility of sinking. William who is a recurring character from Strong Heart is on board, along with Steve, Carlton, and Anne. There's a total of twenty souls on this ship, stewards department, engineers, deckhands, officers, and two Russian cargo minders. Time isn’t on their side; they need to move and act fast. They can’t go down with this ship. They need to work fast if they want to get the lifeboats down in the water in time and everyone off to safety.

You soon meet Louise and Larry. The owners of Warhorse, an old tug. Money is tight for these two, they hope the bank will give them yet another loan to keep their company going. They hear over the radio that a ship has been abandoned, this might be their lucky day if they can tow it back, the claim is theirs and the money would help their company out a lot. They decide to get a move on, they have to make claim to that tow before anyone else does. But the sea is strong and the winds bitter. It isn’t safe for anyone out there.

Charlie Sheldon doesn’t let up with the suspense in this novel. I couldn’t put it down. The words flowed off the screen at me and that made it a page-turner. I loved how he depicts the waves crashing down against the tug, how the crew aboard have to hang on for dear life to not get thrown overboard. The sea takes so many lives and its one hell of a way to go in my opinion. I’ve been out in the gulf before and I’m no stranger to the waves crashing and seeing the rise and fall as you try to get out of it. I felt like I was on board battling the sea with them.

Anyone that enjoys suspense and survival situations will enjoy this book. The scenes come to life and is almost like a movie playing while reading. The descriptions are amazing. Some of the situations that are depicted are graphic and made me say “oh sh*t!” I didn’t touch base on those though because they could be spoilers. And well, I don’t want to spoil this for anyone! If you aren’t into survival situations or suspense novels, I’d skip this one.

It’s no secret that I really enjoyed this book. It wasn’t hard to become attached to the characters and follow them on their wild journey. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I believe it was edited well and I didn’t find any errors.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Skye45's review? Post a comment saying so!
Things ain't the way they used to be. Fact of business bein', they never was.
-Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith-

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”