Distopia Books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
joe jarvis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Distopia Books

Post by joe jarvis »

"A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess is an awesome dystopian read. It is told from the psychopathic main character's perspective, and the author made a slang language that you kind of have to figure out as you read. It's not too hard, but takes a little getting used to. Definitely messed up, but so good, and brings up questions of free will, and right and wrong in punishing a terrible person for their crimes--how far is too far.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I know a lot of people have already recommended it, but I would like to say that 1984 by George Orwell is a great dystopian read.
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

World war Z is awesome! There are so many great stories in this book, and so many perspectives of the zombie apocalypse.it was so interesting to read about this incident from characters from all around the world. Although it starts at a slow pace, the action builds up. It is certainly worth a read
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, is a great one.
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by melel_jo »

Peeps and The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld are more of the beginning of a dystopian world. The Road by Cormac Mcarthy and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick are the other two that come to mind.
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― A Game of Thrones
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I recently read The Rule of One by Ashley Saunders. It's a young adult distopian novel that was really interesting. It's about a set of twins during a time when parents are only allowed to have one child. I believe it has a sequel, too.
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

I remember reading Among the Hidden in school. It is a commentary on limited children policy- how you can only have a certain amount of children. It was very interesting. It was a while ago, but I distinctly remember this description of feeding a hungry child with a sandwich. The description of the sandwich sounded amazing. It made me picture it, which made me hunger for it. First time I could visual something that clearly. It seems insignificant in the whole scope of the book, but I'm just saying, the book was so good, that I remember details like that.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

I really enjoyed The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken :)
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

Under the Never Sky- Veronica Rossi
The 5th Wave- Rick Yancey
Matched- Ally Condie
Defiance- CJ Redwine
Partials- Dan Wells
Blackout-Robison Wells
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

I've read that Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach Trilogy is dystopian, but after reading the first two books, I think it's actually more of a sci-fi horror story. I think I enjoyed the first book, Annihilation, more than the second. Vandermeer writes well from the perspective of a female character. Could possibly be considered dystopian.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”