Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Sam Brand used to run marathons. Much like the hard-working ant, he tortured himself through the training required to keep up with the human ant colony that is the marathon world. One day, Brand realized that he no longer enjoyed being part of the human ant colony and decided to investigate the life of the human dolphin instead.

In Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons, Brand categorizes people into three basic categories: the human ant, the human chimpanzee, and the human dolphin. Human ants work hard and have a very narrow focus on achieving their goal of racing in marathons. They may be part of a colony, but they do not really have good friends or enjoy life. In contrast, a human chimpanzee enjoys life and enjoys cheering on the human ants but has no interest in participating in sports. Finally, the human dolphin participates in sports, but he does so in a way that allows him to enjoy himself and be a part of a social group. From here, Brand discusses his transformation from a human ant into a human dolphin.

Brand structures his book as an easy read. Instead of chapters, he calls them “Miles,” and there are 26.2 of them. Each mile allows Brand to make his next point along his journey of transformation into a human dolphin. I enjoyed that the structure corresponds to the marathon runner’s experience. For example, in Mile 18, Brand discusses his injuries and how they forced him to take a break from marathons. This caused him to consider other activities and question his identity as a marathon runner. Many runners get to that similar point in a race and begin to wonder themselves why they ever signed up to do such a crazy thing. As a distance runner myself, I could recognize how the author used his marathon experience both as a metaphor and to structure his book in a way that would appeal to distance runners.

Another enjoyable feature in this book is the way the pages are formatted for easy reading. Each page contained only a single paragraph. Some of those paragraphs were only a line or two while others were a bit longer. Since each mile (chapter) was only a few pages long, this made the book a very quick and enjoyable read. I almost felt like it was the sort of thing that I could have read while running, or perhaps the author was giving me sage advice while we ran together.

Overall, the book was also generally well-edited. While I did find a couple of minor errors, none of them had any significant impact on the readability of the book. I did find myself mildly annoyed with the author’s repeated use of an acronym followed immediately by the definition every time, even if it had already been used. Typically an author should not feel the need to define the same acronym every time, but I could see why the author might choose to do so in this book. This book’s structure lends itself to being read quickly, in short bursts, or even out of order. Defining an acronym every time it is used could be useful for any readers that choose to read just a single page or mile.

I truly enjoyed Sam Brand’s book, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It was well-edited and easy to read. Brand certainly gave me some interesting ideas to consider as a distance runner, and I think other distance runners might enjoy the opportunity to consider the words of this “wise human dolphin.” I recommend this book to athletes stuck in the marathon world and to anyone considering whether training for a marathon might be right for them.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Sounds like this book teaches a very important lesson, but in a simple, comprehensible manner. Thanks for the review!
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like a great book for people leaving the world of competitive sports.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one definitely sounds interesting; the author put a lot of thought into this book to structure it according to a marathon. I'm curious to see what the author has to say about dolphins and marathons. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

When I first looked at the cover, I thought it was a story for children. After reading your review, it sounds like a book that everyone should read to gain some insight into themselves. It offers a new and interesting perspective on different personalities. Thank you for the great review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I, also, thought this book was for children, but it sounds like it could be read by any athlete who runs marathons. It seems to me that it could apply to other athletes besides marathon runners, as well. Thanks for the review!
Faheedatou_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faheedatou_ »

I would love to read this book
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The names of the chapters are unique. I can see how this book would motivate runners. I have never seen a marathoner reading while running! Is that a dolphin ability or will there be a sequel? Loved your review.
xtine280801_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xtine280801_ »

Re: Official Review: Dolphin's Don't Run Marathons

Just like the other replies, I thought that the book was for kids because of its cover, but because of this review, regarding the book by Sam Brand, I had the courage to actually read the book. Its content, based on the review is truly something we could apply in real life not only in marathons but also in our daily challenges, that we must never forget to find the light in everything that we do because the finish line could wait for us, as long as we do not stop, but the memories along the way are gonna be treasured forever.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

As a runner, I can really appreciate this book. Like many sports, running marathons isn't something one can do forever. It is something that takes a toll on your body. I have been an ant, a chimpanzee and now I am also enjoying being a dolphin. Everything in moderation, right?
Kei Rakho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kei-rakho.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kei Rakho »

Wow!
At first glance I thought it was children's story. But I read the title again and realised it must be something mature. Thanks for the review,now I really want to read it. :techie-studyingbrown:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Well, I am interested in how one goes from being an ant to a dolphin. Thanks for the review!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I thought the structure of the book was clever as well. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I thought the idea was creative. I felt like the three archetypes could have been fleshed out more, addressing the helpful and not-so-helpful aspects of each one. It seemed like there was a heavy focus on the dolphin as the only way. Thanks for the interesting review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like an absolutely well thought out book, both in structure, and in terms of analogies! Using a marathon, as well as a variety of animals, to compare wil life is just brilliant.
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I really enjoyed the review because it gave examples and made me feel like I was sampling the book. This book sounds like it could inspire people to look at themselves and see which animal they are. I like how the pages and paragraphs are short. Some people respond well to that because it appears not as intimidating as other books. I want to read this book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”