Official Review: Titanlord by M.G. Darwish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Re: Official Review: Titanlord by M.G. Darwish

Post by Espie »

Cecilia_L wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 17:18
Tastefully written yet in plainer language than expected, Titanlord dealt with ironies and paradoxes, took me to its perplexing world of myths, and challenged me to navigate my way through. I also unearthed the following among many other trinkets of wisdom from the manuscript: "It is often said that what makes one brave is not whether or not fear exists in your heart, but what you do with the fear in your heart."
Your review has really piqued my interest in a book I probably would have otherwise passed. It's disappointing when grammatical errors prevent a perfect rating, but I enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
That was "me" and exactly what I would have remained to be, too, if I didn't see the book genre. The errors are clearly typographical, which could be easily sorted out. I wouldn't have noticed them either if I didn't have the proper mindset that spotting them was part of what I had to do as a reviewer. Thank you for dropping by and sharing your wise thoughts. :)
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

gen_g wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 01:30 I can so clearly see your passion for the book! I'm sure that it'll shine even brighter once the errors are cleaned up. Thanks for the stunning review!
I am a sci-fi/fantasy fan, indeed, although I had initial qualms about this book's title, cover, and initially-apparent theme. The blemishes could easily be corrected in a jiffy. Thank you for never failing to bring sunshine to the day!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

nooregano wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 04:04 Wow, this is an incredibly detailed and thoughtful review. Sounds like a very unique book, and quite a mix of genres! You've piqued my interest in this book --- I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. Thank you for this review, and have a nice day!
This book wasn't as cookie cutter as I initially expected, but it wasn't a disappoint either. I hope you'd read and find it as worthwhile as I did. Thank you for dropping by and for sharing your thoughts, too. Happy Monday!
Espie

Post by Espie »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 07:43
Before I wrap this up, I've also got a confession to make. I might have been compelled by something, but I’d acquiesce anyway. This book's sampling already hit me straight at the center of the target's bullseye. You’re only reading this because I found worth in what I read in the first place. It may have been written by a thriller writer, so it may have seemed so unlike “me.” Yet it wasn't classified under the crime, mystery, thriller or horror genre; thus, I decided to give it a full go. That turned out to be a dread-defying and impulsive yet serendipitously fruitful decision; I didn’t and wouldn’t be able to regret making the choice.

Tastefully written yet in plainer language than expected, Titanlord dealt with ironies and paradoxes, took me to its perplexing world of myths, and challenged me to navigate my way through. I also unearthed the following among many other trinkets of wisdom from the manuscript: "It is often said that what makes one brave is not whether or not fear exists in your heart, but what you do with the fear in your heart."
After a long time! This two paragraphs interested me the most. Thanks for the heads up, dear. Sounds like a fired-up read.
Indeed! I never thought it would still happen, but here it is now. It wasn't what I'd normally read, but I hope you'd read and find it as worthwhile as I did. Thank you for dropping by and for sharing your thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

chiefsimplex wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 12:30 Sounds like an interesting story. I love the surprise aspect in each chapter .Thanks for the review.
Without the book's genre, I would have normally gone to another book for my review. You're right; it's got a significant amount of surprises on its sleeve, and it could even be on a league of its own. I do hope you'd read and find it as worthwhile as I did. Thank you as well for sharing your thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Kajori50 wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 14:06 Wow. A mix of mythology and fantasy seems perfect for me at this moment. Hopefully, the errors are cleaned up soon.

Thank you for the lovely review, Espie.
Indeed. It may deviate from what I initially thought the myths should be, but the storytelling made me not mind the nuances. Sorting the flaws should be a cinch, too. I hope you'd read and find the piece as worthwhile as I did. Thank you as well for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Great review! I love how each of the characters sounded so well developed with their own strengths and weaknesses. Not sure this is a genre I'd really enjoy, but it sounds very exciting for the right reader.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

I love fantasy, and this sounds like everything I'm looking for. It's easy for me to look past typos when it's a good story. I can't wait to read this one. Your review was awesome, thank you.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

The book seems to be really great. Wouldn't mind to give it a try and am sure i would love it too. Thanks for the review espie :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Espie

Post by Espie »

unamilagra wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 21:33 Great review! I love how each of the characters sounded so well developed with their own strengths and weaknesses. Not sure this is a genre I'd really enjoy, but it sounds very exciting for the right reader.
I agree. Truth is stranger than usual fiction, and it's when characters are closer to the reality that we can relate to them most, indeed. I do hope you'd read and find this piece as worthwhile as I did. Thank you for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Sandra K Pearson wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 21:54 I love fantasy, and this sounds like everything I'm looking for. It's easy for me to look past typos when it's a good story. I can't wait to read this one. Your review was awesome, thank you.
Same here. I often need a second run-through just to spot the errors, and I wouldn't take the time to do so if it weren't part of normal expectations from reviewers. I had surprises at every turn with this piece, and I do hope you'd read and find it as worthwhile as I did. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Anna Bellle wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 12:16 The book seems to be really great. Wouldn't mind to give it a try and am sure i would love it too. Thanks for the review espie :tiphat:
This book defied my initial expectations and had more surprises than I could remember, but I do hope you'd read and find it as worthwhile as I did. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words, Anna Belle.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

Thanks for this review! I've been looking for a good book including Greek/Roman mythology, but that has its own take on things. It sounds interesting with a unique premise. And it's definitely a plus when a book layers its characters and defies expectations. Realistic people don't belong in boxes. I'll check this out!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

It has piqued my interest when you mentioned Lord of the Rings and Clash of the Titans. I am also a fan of myths, so I will check this book out. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Just when I thought I already knew the answers, a subsequent chapter would then lead me to discover that I didn't get everything exactly right. I had to find another piece of the puzzle thereafter.
This sort of unpredictability captivates and engages. I am intrigued, how the author manages to bring the main character later in the narration, but still maintain the pace of the book. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”