Official Review: Lettie by Kim Runyan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Official Review: Lettie by Kim Runyan

Post by Kristin Ransome »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lettie" by Kim Runyan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Time. It can never keep a secret. Eventually, time will reveal everything you’ve tried to hide, and you will be forced to face reality. The problem? The secret you are hiding is one that could mean your death: you’re a witch. Your whole life, your family has instilled in you the fear of being discovered, for discovery could mean you burn at the stake. This is the reality for Lettie, whose story is told in Kim Runyan’s Lettie: Season of the Witch.

Lenuta Juliette Romanov—Lettie—now in her crone years, spends much of her time reminiscing about the events of her childhood. After being forced to flee their village in Romania, Lettie and her family settle in Lviv, Ukraine; however, they must keep their witch heritage a secret—lest the villagers decide to forget all the times they’ve been helped and burn her family at the stake. Lettie learns the importance of this lesson after watching her fearless grandmother dragged from their home by a mob of angry villagers and ultimately burned at the stake; now Lettie and her mother are once again forced to start new lives in a foreign land. With the entire village willing to turn on her with little evidence, Lettie must navigate the horrifying realities of human nature…but can she stay off their radar for long?

Kim Runyan is a highly talented author when it comes to using human emotions to create an authentic narrative. Lettie is a character of pure spirit who wants nothing more than to be true to her heritage; however, the town’s people harbour a crippling fear of witchcraft and believe those who practice it are akin to the devil. Lettie’s story beautifully portrays the fear and distrust that develops when people hate you for who you are and highlights the burden of ignorance and intolerance on the part of Lettie’s peers; people saw a devil if only because they expected one to be there.

Lettie finds a few friends among enemies and each one showcases different aspects of Lettie’s personality. Terri is her first friend in the village, and one of the only people not intimidated by the witch rumours; in fact, she approached Lettie’s reputation with nothing but humour and acceptance. Lettie also befriends Mr. Domi and Norma, who live in adjacent houses. Mr. Domi highlights Lettie’s extreme loyalty and willingness to help friends—whether they know they need it or not—while Norma is the closest thing Lettie has to a family. Runyan uses these characters to bring further depth to Lettie’s story and character while beautifully showcasing the value of friendship in a hostile world.

Despite the bewitching narrative and realistic characters, there were a few things that prevented me from fully enjoying the story of Lettie: the first being the jumpy nature of the retelling. Lettie is recounting the events of her childhood, often making great leaps—both forwards and backwards—in her timeline; however, there was nothing to indicate where in the timeline the narrator had jumped to, leaving me lost on many occasions. Another thing is the presence of scenes that seemed out of place and added little to the story of Lettie’s life, rendering parts of the book sluggish and hard to get through. Lastly, this book could greatly benefit from the attention of a professional editor. The errors, ranging from missing or wrong words, misplaced or incorrect punctuation, and spellings that changed throughout the book, interrupted the flow of reading on many occasions and made some parts hard to understand.

Overall, Lettie: Season of the Witch will appeal to anyone who enjoys other fiction stories about family values, finding one’s place in society, and—of course—witchcraft. While the story of Lettie kept me engaged almost from start to finish, after considering the hard-to-follow timeline, some snail-paced scenes, and numerous errors, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a heartwarming and witty story about a witch’s life and who doesn’t mind descriptions of torture and re-animated corpses.

Lettie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Firefawkes's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Yes I do see how the retelling could be confusing, but I really like the sound of the plot. I think I'll look into it, despite the confusing aspects. Thanks for the review!
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

A very engaging beginning for a review! I enjoyed reading it. The plot is intriguing. It's a pity there are may errors...
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Remarkably strong opening lines, it encourages me to read the book.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

You've written a really great review here. I love how you balanced the good and the bad, and how you still showcased what the book has to offer. I'd be looking out for an edited version of this. Thanks for this review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like it has the potential to be a great story, with good character development and insight into human nature. Too bad the the errors and choppy time jumps dragged it down. Thanks for a thorough review!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

This story highlights a social concern. Witch-hunting still prevails in several parts of the world. Thanks for a good review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise is fascinating, but it's such a pity about the many errors. I hope that it gets edited soon; I believe it'll be a much better book after that. Thanks for the lovely review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I hope Kim finds the antidote to the spell that makes the book less than perfect. Lettie just needs the right break.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Seems author needs an editor. Sad to know you didn't enjoyed this book enough to give it 4 star rating. Thanks for the review firefawkes
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I don't think I'll buy this book now, but I might try it if the author gets a professional editor.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Great review firefawkes. I wouldn't read a book about witches though.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Kristin Ransome

Crazyreader01 wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 11:19 Yes I do see how the retelling could be confusing, but I really like the sound of the plot. I think I'll look into it, despite the confusing aspects. Thanks for the review!
With a little flipping back and forth, it shouldn't be too difficult to follow! I really enjoyed the story and hope you do too! :D
Kristin Ransome

skindrukas wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 13:13 A very engaging beginning for a review! I enjoyed reading it. The plot is intriguing. It's a pity there are may errors...
I'm glad you enjoyed it!! Once it gets professionally edited it will be a fantastic story! Thanks for reading :)
Kristin Ransome

IamShing wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 18:10 Remarkably strong opening lines, it encourages me to read the book.
I would recommend it if you don't mind reading through errors! Thanks for your comment :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”