Official Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toward Happier Choices" by Michael Oborn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn is a quasi-memoir. The book is split into three sections: “Short Stories,” “Potpourri,” and “Exceptional People.” The first section is a collection of vignettes depicting events that played a role in the author's decision to leave the Mormon Church and seek out a different way of life. The second section is a collection of musings, opinions, and beliefs. Finally, “Exceptional People” includes five essays about individuals who have greatly influenced the author in one way or another. Throughout the entire book, Oborn revisits his conclusions about the Mormon Church.

From the very first page to the last, the author’s voice shines throughout the narrative. I was quickly enamored with Oborn’s storytelling; it is his expert use of retrospection that makes this book truly engaging, especially in the “Short Stories” section. The stories Oborn chooses to share are interesting, but it is his newfound point of view used in the telling of each story that provides readers with clarity and understanding of the impact these various events had on the author’s life.

The essays found in “Exceptional People” were just as impressive. In this section, Oborn’s prose is impassioned. My favorite essay, “Gina Sue,” is a poignant telling of Oborn’s current relationship; he discusses Gina Sue with eloquence and depth. I was pleasantly surprised by the intimate picture Oborn paints in this essay. After reading the majority of the book, I felt I knew a lot about the author’s life, opinions, and ideals; however, it was “Gina Sue,” which comes at the very end, that truly made me connect with the author on a spiritual level.

Unlike the clear focus of the first and third sections, the second part of the book, as the title “Potpourri” suggests, is a mix of random ideas and beliefs. This section lacked the engaging storytelling found in “Short Stories” and the intimate observations of “Exceptional People.” Some of the chapters in this section are incredibly short, like one about the author’s opinion of abortion, which is only three paragraphs. Although a lot of what Oborn has to say in this section is interesting, “Potpourri” lacked the depth and personal connection apparent in the rest of the book.

Despite Oborn’s enjoyable prose, Toward Happier Choices is in need of professional editing. The narrative contains a plethora of errors, including missing commas, incorrect word usage, and improper sentence structure. Although these errors did not significantly detract from the narrative, they were glaringly obvious. Due to the grammatical errors and lack of focus in the second section of the book, I rate Toward Happier Choices 3 out of 4 stars. With professional editing and reconsideration of the second section, Toward Happier Choices will be a stand-out work. For now, I recommend this book to readers interested in memoirs about reformed Mormons and reader’s interested in gaining a new perspective on life.

Toward Happier Choices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like an original and refreshing form of a memoir. I like the sound of the short stories, I think it'll be interesting to see exactly which events shaped the author and compare them to my own.
Thanks for the review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such a beautiful book - but a pity about the editing errors. Still, I'm intrigued by the Mormon religion, and this seems like an interesting place to start. Thanks for the review!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I hate it when a great writer misses edits. Hopefully, these can be rectified. Great review!
Spencer Mack
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

It sounds like this might be worth reading if I skip the second section.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book is definitely not for me, but I enjoyed your review. thanks for sharing.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

"Reformed" Mormon? That sounds like he changed and escaped from something awful. I lived in Utah for several years and was generally impressed by the community support I saw. I especially liked that their thrift stores employed people who needed help and gave clothes and other items to those people until they were back on their feet.
It's true that I've heard some quite odd things about the Mormon church too. It might be interesting to hear the point of view from someone who left it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this book would have been better if he had left the second section out. At least, hopefully, he can take another look at it and add a little more depth to that portion. Good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but I love the way this one is organized. It's a bit out of the norm, and I understand why you described it as a "quasi-memoir." It seems like it'd be really interesting, and I am curious as to why the author left the Mormon Church. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The difference between the three sections is curious. I really enjoyed your description of his writing and his experiences sound interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Great review. This sounds interesting. I wonder what led him to be a reformed church Mormon! I might just take a look at this!
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

I think I am going to make a happy choice and read this book, editing issues and all, as I too am curious how the author moved Toward Happier Choices.
Happily, I enjoyed your review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

Interesting review, I'd like to check this book out. Good job.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Thanks for the review! Stories from former Mormon Church members actually interest me quite a bit, though I'm usually not super fond of memoirs. The poor editing also makes me somewhat wary, but it can be forgiven if the content is great.
Mabongajoan2019
Currently Reading: Arsenic and Old Men
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mabongajoan2019 »

This sounds like a transformational book. Despite errors and mixed ideas and beliefs in the third section,I am interested in reading the book. Thanks for review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”