Review by Sarah Tariq -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What will you do if your ship catches fire and goes out of order? It is the time when your stamina, courage, loyalty, and faith in God are tested. The same happened with the crew of the ship “The Seattle Express.” They had to adrift for days in a treacherous North Pacific Ocean along the Northwest Coast of North America. The Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the stand-alone sequel to the Strong Heart Series. It is an informative and adventurous tale of hope, courage, and survival that keeps the readers on the edge of their seats until they reach the last page of the book.

Adrift is the story of a ship “The Seattle Express” that was going to Seattle in the Gulf of Alaska. The ship captain woke up on the burning smell. Soon he found his ship has got a fire. All of the crew made an effort to put out the fire, but all in vain. They were left with no choice but to leave the ship and take salvage in two lifeboats. However, the story didn’t end here. There was some business politics going side by side. There was the competition for the salvage claim of the burnt Seattle Express between the Buckhorn Corporation and the Sol Duc Towing Company run by Larry and Louise. At one side, the down-trodden ship crew was struggling for their survival in the merciless water of North Pacific Ocean, on the other side; two marine companies were competing to get the lead over one another. Who will win? We also find some old folks of the Strong Heart Series like William, Myra, Sarah, Tom, and Sergei. What is their contribution in all this fuss? It’s absolutely a compelling story by Charlie Sheldon that will engross the readers with its captivating twists and turns.

First of all, I would say that Charlie Sheldon masterfully weaved a tale by incorporating his professional experience, as a merchant sailor. As an experienced and skilled mariner, he maintains a firm grip on marine dynamics. Just from the beginning, the story takes you into the depth of human emotions and relationships. When Captain Steve found his ship in a stew, his utmost effort was to undo the lingering danger and prevent his crew from some gruesome destiny that might happen with the sinking of the ship. I liked the caring decorum of Captain Steve for his crew when he ordered to rotate the survival suites due to their shortage.

The appealing thing of this book is this that it flows seamlessly with the spectacular transition in narrative and vivid description of scenes with ample liveliness. Each character in the book gets sufficient time, and the readers get the whole overview of almost every character. In other words, we can say the book is divided into many subplots. Each plot exhibits the story of different characters, their background, their issues, the hurdles they face at sea and ground, and their relationship with other characters. Like, the story starts with Captain Steve and includes his fears and hopes in a difficult situation. Next, we move to Louise and Larry who are passing through a difficult marital relationship. In later stages, we meet many old and new characters with their complete details. The burning of the vessel and looking the crew to ward off death-defying situation was so clear; I felt I was watching a movie. Moreover, I like the inclusion of maps of various places where this voyage takes place. It is, especially, very helpful for readers residing outside the USA to get the full grasp of the story and the geography of the Olympic Peninsula.

There were a few things that I found distracting. First of all, the narrative used to demystify seaward incident was sufficiently technical, making it difficult for a layman to figure out these details easily. Secondly, it was a bit slow-paced in the start, candidly speaking, a little boring. However, it gained momentum and liveliness in later stages, and the story sweeps from scene to scene.

In sum, the Adrift is a marvelous tale of survival, hope, and love. The way the author presents the marine life and the emotions mariners feel in this hazardous life are skillfully depicted. I didn’t notice any glaring spelling error or grammar mistake that could hinder the flow of my reading. Hence, I can say it is professionally edited. I rate this fabulous piece of writing 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to all those who are interested in marine adventure stories with a well-developed plot.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

This book sounds brilliant. I love a good adventure story, put that adventure on the sea. I'm in. Thanks for the review.
Spencer Mack
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

And I thought I would never see Tom, Sarah and the rest of the Strong Heart team again. Buckhorn is also back to rock the boat. I look forward to meeting Captain Steve, the Sol Duc couple, and the other mariners in this fabulous adventure.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a great book of adventure and it sounds very interesting. I like how the plot explains each character in relation to the story.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like a scenario out of my worst nightmares! I've never even been on a boat in the ocean and it gives me the creeps just thinking about it! I think I'll keep my feet ashore and my brain well away from nightmarish books, thanks. Glad I read your review so I know to avoid it!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the amazing review. It is true that some terminologies in the book would be quite hard to figure out hence requiring one to consult a dictionary quite often. I like the fact that the book is very realistic and that the characters were comprehensively developed as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 00:26 And I thought I would never see Tom, Sarah and the rest of the Strong Heart team again. Buckhorn is also back to rock the boat. I look forward to meeting Captain Steve, the Sol Duc couple, and the other mariners in this fabulous adventure.
Thanks for stopping by, Miriam Molina!

📕📖📰📓📕
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Ah, one of those books that you have to bear with at the start but if you wait it out, the story gets good. I had to read a book for a course last semester like that - it only got good half-way through (that was like 200+ plus pages in)...this book sounds interesting though. Thanks for sharing.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This book sounds like it has such a exciting plot and great character development. After so many glowing reviews of this book, I just selected it to review next. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. Thank you for a very thorough review!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I love books where the author takes the time to make a completely believable story! I'll have to add this one to my list!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like the stand-alone aspect of the book, even though I read Strong Heart. One disadvantage of authours 'fictionalizing' stories in their profession is the resulting technical jargon. A small price to pay when the story is captivating, though. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

spencermack wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 22:32 This book sounds brilliant. I love a good adventure story, put that adventure on the sea. I'm in. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by!

📕📖📰📓📕
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I've already got a copy of this book, and I hope it'll be as good as the first one in the series. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The appealing thing of this book is this that it flows seamlessly with the spectacular transition in narrative and vivid description of scenes with ample liveliness. Each character in the book gets sufficient time, and the readers get the whole overview of almost every character. In other words, we can say the book is divided into many subplots. Each plot exhibits the story of different characters, their background, their issues, the hurdles they face at sea and ground, and their relationship with other characters. Like, the story starts with Captain Steve and includes his fears and hopes in a difficult situation. Next, we move to Louise and Larry who are passing through a difficult marital relationship. In later stages, we meet many old and new characters with their complete details. The burning of the vessel and looking the crew to ward off death-defying situation was so clear; I felt I was watching a movie.
I don't usually go for adventure stories but the subplots centered in the characters relationships and struggles caught my attention. It definitely takes a very noble and upright kind of person to be a good captain. Thank you for your enthusiastic review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

unamilagra wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 21:29 This book sounds like it has such a exciting plot and great character development. After so many glowing reviews of this book, I just selected it to review next. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. Thank you for a very thorough review!
Exactly, the book has very exciting pot. It dips you in the sea adventure. Thanks for this feedback, unamilagra!

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”