Official Review: Slow Drip by Gary Polisano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Slow Drip by Gary Polisano

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Slow Drip" by Gary Polisano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Slow Drip by Gary Polisano is a C/T/M/H novel that narrates gruesome murders which shock a small town. The clues that point detectives in the killer's direction come from an unlikely source.

Enroute to their favorite fishing spot, Jeff and Ells stumble upon a decomposing body. The ugly scene terrorizes their young minds and has an unexplainable effect on Jeff. In his dreams, he sees the dead woman and even talks to her. Meanwhile, detective Tina Patterson tries to unravel the mystery and gives the case the attention it deserves. Although her superior doubts her methods, she is willing to do whatever it takes to solve the case.

The author blends reality with the supernatural, and I like that it is believable. He portrays Jeff as a brave teenager who is taken aback by the changes he is experiencing. It doesn't help that the people around him are as skeptical as he is. The other characters are also well developed and play distinct roles. I was intrigued by the killer's thought process, and I hoped that the detectives would catch up with him. I applaud the author for revealing his identity at the opportune moment, neither too early nor too late into the story.

The story contains some medical jargon, which helped to expand my vocabulary. It is well researched and vividly describes the human anatomy. The author highlights the consequences of holding a grudge, which is what motivated the killer to carry out his revenge mission. I was intrigued when the author also highlighted incompetence in the workplace. In the medical field, a minor error could cost a life. Family dynamics also came into play. Jeff had a strong support system consisting of parents who cared for him, friends who valued him, and teachers who wanted the best for him.

What I liked most about the book is that it has two plots running concurrently, which intertwined to create a neat ending. At first, I didn't see how the story of a sixteen-year-old boy who loves baseball would blend with that of a murder investigation. I was relieved that it made sense as I read further. The author also presents the story in the form of journal entries, and each chapter narrates a different day's activities. That helped put events into perspective. This book is the first installment in a series, and I hope the rest are just as enthralling.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. Although I spotted a few misspelled words, they didn't detract from the reading experience. I will, therefore, award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of crime and thriller stories. People who can't stomach gory scenes, however, should stay away from this book.

Slow Drip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I love when the author blends two seemingly unrelated story lines like that. I can definitely imagine seeing a decomposing body would alter you for life! I'll put this on my list. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
โ€”Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am interested in viewing two plots that successfully come together in the end. I imagine reading part of the story from the killer's point of view and wondering when he will finally get caught must make for a thrilling page-turner. I am further intrigued by the mention of a whole series. Thanks for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfriedโ€™s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I love well developed characters and a thoroughly thought out plot. This book sounds like it's got both!
Thanks for the lovely review. :tiphat:
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

cool..my favorite read ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I love it when the author gives readers the opportunity to look at things from the criminal's point of view, however twisted the thinking process is.The timing for revealing the criminal either makes or breaks the story-i like the author's good sense on this one, although i would rather the criminal remains a mystery.Thanks for a great review.
โ€œSo many books, so little time.โ€
โ€• Frank Zappa
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

the story is so convincing..it made me cry ๐Ÿ˜Š
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I like that the author blends reality with the supernatural. The book sounds interesting, I'll add it to my list. Great review.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like an interesting read even though I don't usually go for mysteries. Does the title play into the story, or is just a creepy introduction to the murder theme?

Return to โ€œCrime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Booksโ€