Review by raqstar1 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Review by raqstar1 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by raqstar1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L Haight is what I would consider a mystical learning book. It encompasses many different ideas and is written in four distinct parts. The first part is the author’s story. It includes his life experiences as he travels the world interacting with multiple civilizations. He also tells of his work creating a new form of martial art that incorporates bodywork to increase one’s consciousness. The second part explains what the different levels of awareness are and how to achieve them in a broad sense using practices like meditation, praying, and chanting. Part three delves into the necessity of whole body health, including the mind, and different ideas to help understand how to strive to achieve the end goal of consciousness. The final part is a culmination of how to use the lessons learned to break past negativity and move into an awakened awareness.

The writing style differs a bit throughout the book, but it always stays on the lines of learning and deep understanding. The author uses personal stories as well as general ideas to get his points across and he does a good job of balancing the necessary information with the life lessons. He writes in a way that lets the reader feel comfortable with the message, whether they are a novice or have been studying the field for a long time.

I found that I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. Upon seeing the cover, I was expecting a very heavy read that may take a lot of concentration to follow. Although concentration was necessary, as is the case with any book written in this genre, I did not find myself overtaxed while reading. I enjoyed the stories that he tells about his life. There are also a great many relatable ideas throughout the book.

There were so many pertinent sections with which I related that I could not discuss them all, but a couple of them were so relevant to my current situation that I had to mention them. First was regarding a story in which the author spends time alone in the forest. He comes away with a sense of how little is actually needed in order to be happy. He reflects that “most of my “wants” were in truth attempts to fill an empty space inside.” This hit me as such a truth. I often think I need something, purchase it, and later find that it was not only unnecessary, but it truly offers nothing of value. The other idea is that if we pursue what we are passionate about, then doors will open to us. Again, this is immediately pertinent as I have recently left a position with high wages and high stress to pursue a job in an area that I am truly passionate about. Although I am making a much smaller amount of money, it is enough to keep the necessities covered. The work that I am doing has opened my eyes to many new opportunities and I feel a sense of self-worth.

I can’t say that everything in this book speaks to me, but I feel that there is something for everyone willing to take the time to really read it and think about the different ideas. It is not a book for the person who is happy with what is considered a normal life. But for the person who is trying to better themselves or who wants to raise consciousness levels, this could be a very useful tool. The only criticism I have is that there are times when the author implies that the tools he provides are for everyone. Then at other times, he states that not everyone will be able to use the tools provided. It is not detrimental to the book or the ideas presented, but it was apparent enough to have stuck out.

This is a very well written and well-edited book with few errors. The writing style is easy to follow and the author does a good job of keeping the reader engaged. I enjoyed the way the stories and concepts provoked my thoughts. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like raqstar1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”