Official Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking forward as the Journey continues" by George Mills.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It never bodes well for a piece of work when a reviewer concludes that stars should be removed before ever leaving the first page. Unfortunately for George Mills, the pretentious work presented in A View Looking Forward as the Journey Continues has masterfully achieved this unprecedented feat. Between the archaic cover symbolism of a man getting a leg up, the blatant disregard for the work of an editor, the nonexistent transitions, and the condescending disrespect for readers, by the end, it was easy for me to rate this book one out of four stars.

A View Looking Forward as the Journey Continues was presented to our club as a work of fiction; however, after following the “storyline” (I use that word lightly), I wonder if it isn’t a convoluted attempt at a biographical retelling. There is quite little to the story. In the midst of a hurricane, a man is forced to wait for his ship to leave port. His lover has left him, and he seeks to start anew. The idea was interesting—Mills’ execution was mind-numbing. There was no character development, and the dialogue was painful. It took me many pages to discern who was who, and the relationships seemed forced and unrelatable. In the world he’s created, a young sailor (with no backstory) retorts with, “Whatever do you mean,” and a motorcycle shop owner uses lofty phrasing like, “We must seek shelter.”

I also found myself confused while trying to wrap my head around the setting: a desert land that butts up to an ocean. It's a place where people speak English but only the main character knows about Thanksgiving. It's a poor-to-moderately financed port settlement with an underground bunker city decorated with crown moldings of gold and inlaid with diamonds and rubies. Had there been a fantastic explanation for the above-mismatched ideas I would have rejoiced. Sadly, there were only haphazard sentences speckled throughout with no attempt at explanation.

My disorientation surrounding the characters and setting pales, however, to my disgust with Mills’ lack of consistency, followthrough, and editing. I liken his storytelling style to jazz scatting. His sentences jump from talking about his love in one phrase to speaking directly to her in the next. Furthermore, timelines are nonexistent throughout. At one point a character discusses having not seen a woman in thirty years; paragraphs later, it ’s forty. The book has a pretentious (non-spoiler) ending where Mills inserts a hopeful self-fulfilling prophecy that includes the main character being praised for his superior writing skills. With the book’s endless sentence fragments, faulty tense changes, misspellings, improper punctuation, and word repetition, let me be the first to say—this prophecy will never come true.

A final unsettling part of the work was Mills’ habit of turning from story to religious soliloquy at the end of each chapter (and sometimes for chapters at a time). He outlines the book as if it were written all in one setting and speaks directly to the audience saying “Goodnight” and “Goodmorning” when breaking and resuming his tale. He assumes his audience knows events and quotes from the King James version of the Bible. His bumbled attempts at joining the story with Christian teachings come off condescending and degrading. He demands all readers look at their actions in life and ask themselves if they are following the ways of “born again Christians.”

I perhaps suggest this book to the religious devout willing to overlook boring storyline and poor writing in an attempt to compare everyday events with lessons from the Bible. Beyond that, though, I don’t suggest anyone read this book. I, personally, found no redeeming qualities in the book. A very heavy-handed copy and content editor is necessary to elevate this book to any level of enjoyment or enlightenment. In the words of the author, “give (the) old brain a rest” and skip this one.

Looking forward as the Journey continues
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Even well-done stream of consciousness can be challenging. Something as poorly executed and edited as this just sounds exasperating. Thank you for your honest review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

You must have a hard time reading this book. From your review, I did not even grasped what this book is all about. I applaud you for finishing the book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the author was trying to do, and I haven't even read the book. I can't imagine what you must have thought while reading. It's like the author was trying to create a fantasy and memoir at the same time? Anyway, definitely passing on this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

Whew! Definitely would not want to read this book.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

NL Hartje wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 13:11 has masterfully achieved this unprecedented feat.
:lol2: I'm dying of laughter! I think I enjoyed your review much more than I would enjoy the book, and that is an understatement. Good editing is essential, in my book.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Wow! I applaud for you on getting the book read. It sounds like if we could give zero stars; this would be one that would qualify. I will definitely be passing this one. Thank you for the candid review. :tiphat:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I really enjoyed the opening of your review as you comprehensively mentioned the flaws in few lines. Excellent review! :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This doesn't sounds like a great book to peruse. I must commend you for reading the book anyway. Thank you for the review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Too bad the writing is poor for such a great plot. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”