Official Review: Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours ...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock!" by Robert Kirby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Motivation is not only a personal characteristic but also a relationship between your needs and values and the environments that satisfy them."

Robert Kirby provides examples of motivation in action and offers insights and guidelines for setting, utilizing, and achieving goals in Motivational Spirit: How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock! He reveals the nature of motivation, strategies for building confidence, and identifies different types of goals. Using the M.A.P.S acronym, Kirby explains the process of creating goals. He provides evidence that stress and anxiety are barriers to attaining goals and tools for guarding against over-arousal. Kirby asserts the influence our thoughts have over performance and discusses strategies for acquiring positive self-dialogue. He also addresses the impact of positive thinking and positive anticipation. Throughout the book, Kirby includes inspirational stories from those who have realized their dreams, ranging from high school athletes to Olympic medalists.

With 174 pages, this motivational resource is a relatively quick read that is well-written, professionally edited, and packed with practical advice. Kirby's writing style is informal and conversational. He presents information clearly by utilizing the concept of "chunking," a simplified process for learning or memorizing. The book also includes a detailed list of references, motivational word puzzles, and a small gallery of photographs featuring picturesque California scenery.

I most liked the inspirational stories and case studies that illustrated the benefits of consistently staying motivated. Kirby's insights are reinforced by motivational strategies that not only apply to professional tennis players and Olympic athletes but can benefit high school competitors and college scholarship recipients. "The reality is that each day we take a step toward reaching goals, remain the same, or take a step back." I also appreciated the author's upbeat attitude; his background as a personal trainer and health coach is evident.

Fortunately, I don't usually judge books by their covers. However, the cover was my least favorite feature of the book--if I were browsing in a bookstore, I probably wouldn't have selected it. The author exemplified his creativity throughout the book, and I felt there were better ways to emphasize his fitness other than the shirtless photo.

Even so, I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. My dislike for the cover didn't detract from my overall reading enjoyment, and the book provides a wealth of information. I recommend it to readers who want to activate their motivational skills and strengthen goal setting. It will also appeal to athletes and those interested in healthy lifestyles.

Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. You make the book sound really interesting. I look out for it, I really need motivation at this point in my life.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 06:02 Great review. You make the book sound really interesting. I look out for it, I really need motivation at this point in my life.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy the book.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Positivity is essential in ordef for us to survive and eventually accomplish our goals. As it sounds on the review, the book seems appeaing to me because I use to play tennis although I am not so focused with it.

The author himself is a successful coach, a plus point for me. It is one guarantee that he wasn't fooling around givin advices to the audience without experience or prior knowledge.

I think this is a must read. Thanks for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

IamShing wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 09:58 Positivity is essential in ordef for us to survive and eventually accomplish our goals. As it sounds on the review, the book seems appeaing to me because I use to play tennis although I am not so focused with it.

The author himself is a successful coach, a plus point for me. It is one guarantee that he wasn't fooling around givin advices to the audience without experience or prior knowledge.

I think this is a must read. Thanks for the great review!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

My pleasure 😚
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that there were inspirational stories and case studies to back up what the author was saying. That definitely makes a difference in a book. Sounds like the author has a lot of wisdom to share. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Every now and then I need a pick me up to get or keep me motivated. thanks for the review, I may turn to this next time!
Spencer Mack
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 08:38 I'm glad that there were inspirational stories and case studies to back up what the author was saying. That definitely makes a difference in a book. Sounds like the author has a lot of wisdom to share. Thanks!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

spencermack wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 09:35 Every now and then I need a pick me up to get or keep me motivated. thanks for the review, I may turn to this next time!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This sounds great. I really believe keeping my mind and self-criticism in check is much more fruitful in terms of staying motivated. You found a good motivational manual! They can be hard to find. A beautiful review, as usual.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 19:58 This sounds great. I really believe keeping my mind and self-criticism in check is much more fruitful in terms of staying motivated. You found a good motivational manual! They can be hard to find. A beautiful review, as usual.
I agree with your thoughts about self-criticism, Eva. I appreciate your comment.
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

thanks for this good review
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

IamShing wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 22:46 thanks for this good review
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”