Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

For March 2019, we'll be reading Cozy Mystery/Crime books!
Post Reply
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Cozy Mystery/Crime Book Discussion

Post by hsimone » 06 Mar 2019, 19:10

Welcome to March's genre discussion! This month we are going to share books that fall under the crime and/or cozy mystery genres. So what are these genres?
  • Crime: It's a genre that presents crimes, the investigation to the crimes, criminals, and their motives in a fictional way. Most times, suspense and mystery are woven into the book's plot.

  • Cozy mystery: This is a subgenre of crime, where sex and violence are toned down or presented in a light/humorous manner. The crime at hand is usually taken place in a small intimate community. These books are considered to be "fun reads" and usually features an amateur sleuth.
What are you reading/have read for this month? Were there any other genres or subgenres featured in that book? Can you share your rating and if would you recommend it?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Tessa23Darling
Posts: 29
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 21:10
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling » 12 Mar 2019, 12:00

I've read a few books by Kathy Reichs in the past. My sister is a HUGE fan of hers. I thought they were good but I personally prefer historical fiction. But, if you enjoy crime books, I would recommend her.

User avatar
Ak1412
Posts: 195
Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 19:14
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Ak1412 » 17 Mar 2019, 13:40

It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?

User avatar
valenciablossum
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 12:13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valenciablossum.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by valenciablossum » 20 Mar 2019, 15:34

I was 8 when I read my first Nancy Drew and was hooked. In high school I read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories which I still love reading on a rainy day. I think a good 'cozy mystery' has to have a lovable sleuth, a creative crime, and a satisfying conclusion. Gotta love books like this! I wish I had more rainy days here (:

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 229
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 29 Mar 2019, 21:20

I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

ETA: Wait. I'm dumb. I'm doing an entire course on crime fiction. So far I've read The Sign of Four, A Murder is Announced, The Maltese Falcon and The Silence of the Lambs.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 36469
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Places in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 1900
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 29 Mar 2019, 23:58

I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

I am now reading The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a great mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 30 Mar 2019, 20:10

Tessa23Darling wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 12:00
I've read a few books by Kathy Reichs in the past. My sister is a HUGE fan of hers. I thought they were good but I personally prefer historical fiction. But, if you enjoy crime books, I would recommend her.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to check her out :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 30 Mar 2019, 20:13

Ak1412 wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 13:40
It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?
I don't feel I read enough of this genre to give an author recommendation, but I did really enjoyGone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 30 Mar 2019, 20:14

valenciablossum wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 15:34
I was 8 when I read my first Nancy Drew and was hooked. In high school I read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories which I still love reading on a rainy day. I think a good 'cozy mystery' has to have a lovable sleuth, a creative crime, and a satisfying conclusion. Gotta love books like this! I wish I had more rainy days here (:
I loved that you read Nancy Drew and was hooked! I agree with you - I wish there were more rainy days, so we can have more time to read.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 30 Mar 2019, 20:14

Nisha Ward wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 21:20
I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

ETA: Wait. I'm dumb. I'm doing an entire course on crime fiction. So far I've read The Sign of Four, A Murder is Announced, The Maltese Falcon and The Silence of the Lambs.
That's awesome that you've read all of those books! Was there a favorite that you'd like to share?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5677
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Last Year of the War
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 30 Mar 2019, 20:17

gali wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 23:58
I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

I am now reading The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a great mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books.
A lot of people love Agatha Christie! I find the mysteries to be a bit too light for my enjoyment, which I know is a key element in cozy mysteries. :lol: Hence, this isn't my favorite genre, but I do like some crime-related books.

I haven't heard of The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Are you enjoying it so far?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 229
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 30 Mar 2019, 20:19

hsimone wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 20:14
Nisha Ward wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 21:20
I think the only thing I've read from this genre is one Agatha Christie novel, but I would love to read more to be honest. There's something very relaxing about it.

ETA: Wait. I'm dumb. I'm doing an entire course on crime fiction. So far I've read The Sign of Four, A Murder is Announced, The Maltese Falcon and The Silence of the Lambs.
That's awesome that you've read all of those books! Was there a favorite that you'd like to share?
Definitely A Murder Is Announced. There's something rather delightful about the way Agatha Christie wrote and I was hooked almost immediately. The communal aspect of the cozy mystery is something I enjoyed and, despite some of my classmates believing the ending was sort of unrealistic, it made me laugh and had me on tenterhooks the entire way. I'd absolutely be willing to read more of her books.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 229
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 30 Mar 2019, 20:20

hsimone wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 20:17
gali wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 23:58
I have read all Agatha Christie's books and loved them!

I am now reading The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, a great mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books.
A lot of people love Agatha Christie! I find the mysteries to be a bit too light for my enjoyment, which I know is a key element in cozy mysteries. :lol: Hence, this isn't my favorite genre, but I do like some crime-related books.

I haven't heard of The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Are you enjoying it so far?
I've also never heard of it. What's it about, if you don't mind sharing some non-spoiler details? I'm interested in knowing more.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 36469
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Places in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 1900
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 30 Mar 2019, 22:35

I enjoy 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle very much. I read it with another member in the Read-a-long forum: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and you can join us if you want to. It is about a man who relives a murder every day for eight days, and each day he is in a different body. His only change to escape is to to find the murderer. If he doesn't, the loop restarts again.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Ak1412
Posts: 195
Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 19:14
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Ak1412 » 08 Apr 2019, 10:57

hsimone wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 20:13
Ak1412 wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 13:40
It has been a long time since read a book from this genre. Any favorite authors?
I don't feel I read enough of this genre to give an author recommendation, but I did really enjoyGone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep!
I've heard a few good things about Gone Girl. Thanks for the advice.

Post Reply

Return to “March 2019 Genre Discussion”