Review by Bluebird03 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Review by Bluebird03 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Unbound Soul , Richard Haight takes the reader on his extraordinary journey to achieve his personal spiritual awakening. Beginning with his childhood, the author describes his vision, as an eight-year-old, that precipitated his lifelong quest. Jesus Christ appears in this dream and tells Haight "Help me". When Haight inquires how to accomplish this feat, Jesus answers "Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching".

Haight's relentless search takes him to Japan, where he studies and masters the highest rankings and titles in martial arts. Also, the reader is invited to join Haight on his spiritual journey including vision quests, studies, teachings, and the high and low points of his life. Eventually, the author shares with the reader what he determines to be the "bones" of Jesus Christ. I will leave that mystery for each reader to discover.

I award The Unbound Soul by Richard Haight 4 out of 4 stars for several reasons. First, I liked that the author provided very simple examples to explain many of his more complex ideas. These examples made it so much easier to visualize and understand these concepts. He also included a glossary, an appendix and an index.

Additionally, the author went into very explicit detail on how to perform some of his techniques, specifically, the Warrior Meditation and the Dance of the Self. I have already bookmarked both of these entries, as I plan to refer to them often. While the Warrior Meditation is initially performed sitting or lying down, it should be expanded into standing and walking to incorporate the remainder of our daily lives. Also, it was a relief to learn that even a few seconds or minutes of this Warrior Meditation can be beneficial. As for the Dance of the Self, I will let each reader conquer this concept. I can see where this exercise could certainly be beneficial in removing disharmony from the body; but, his description certainly conjures up an interesting image for the reader.

I loved that Haight managed to weave quotes and examples from a few different religions into this amazing tapestry of spiritual growth and mastery. And he touched on several intriguing topics such as forgiveness and reconciliation, "energy-vampirism", "attention-vampirism", what happens to us at death, blissful ascent, painful and hellish descent, rebirth and reincarnation.

There really was nothing about The Unbound Soul that I disliked, as it was exceptionally flawless. The book does appear to have been professionally edited, as I only noticed a couple of very minor errors.

I believe this book will appeal to anyone interested in self-discipline, the art of meditation and anyone attempting to attain the enlightenment that Haight describes. The reader does not have to agree with every point in the book to benefit from reading it, as there truly is something for everyone. However, someone who is not interested in any form of self-improvement might not enjoy this read. I highly recommend this book and expect that I will refer to it often.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I'm currently devouring this book, and I'm more excited than ever to finish the book now after reading this review. He has so many unique experiences and insights. I can't wait for the technique that you mentioned called "Dance of the Self." It sounds so beautiful, just the words! I can't imagine how beautiful the actual technique would be! Thank you for this wonderful review :) Have a great day!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Thank you, Nooregano, for your comments. This book is definitely one to read over and over again- so glad you are enjoying it! Think you will enjoy perfecting the Dance if the Self.
Kibet002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Kibet002 »

This book has been written using ingenous techniques employed by the author. His experiences are intriguing and really opens out eyes in enlightenment. The philosophy is outstanding!
This book is worth your time as it is very insightful.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Kibet002 wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 11:16 This book has been written using ingenous techniques employed by the author. His experiences are intriguing and really opens out eyes in enlightenment. The philosophy is outstanding!
This book is worth your time as it is very insightful.
Thank you so much for your comments. I agree with everything you stated. Excellent book!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

As much as this book sounds interesting, it's religious tones prevents me from reading it. Thanks for your review.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

ayomie wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 17:50 As much as this book sounds interesting, it's religious tones prevents me from reading it. Thanks for your review.
I certainly understand. Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting! :)
Bongo32+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bongo32+ »

This book is really interesting but need to be related to current trends of religious beliefs.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

This book sounds interesting and intriguing. I don't know if it's my particular cup of tea but I might give it a try! Thanks for the review.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Bongo32+ wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:43 This book is really interesting but need to be related to current trends of religious beliefs.
Yes, it was very interesting. Thank you, Bongo, for reading my review and for your comments.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Artizi wrote: 29 May 2019, 09:36 This book sounds interesting and intriguing. I don't know if it's my particular cup of tea but I might give it a try! Thanks for the review.
It was very intriguing, Artizi. If you do try it, let me know what you think. Thank you for reading my review and commenting !

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”