Official Review: It Finally Happened by Craig Glatky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: It Finally Happened by Craig Glatky

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It Finally Happened" by Craig Glatky.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It Finally Happened by Craig Glatky is a sci-fi/fantasy novel infused with elements of romance, humor, and non-fiction. The author takes the reader on a rollercoaster that navigates his dreams and provides a glimpse into his past.

The author's colorful imagination is evident in his narration. He traverses various worlds, interacting with different creatures in the process. He places himself in deathly situations but also allows room for compassion and kindness. Encounters with mythical creatures like trolls and dragons highlight the author's bravery. I wasn't surprised when he interacted with superheroes and characters from television shows. His take excited me because I have also had dreams that featured my favorite characters.

In his dreams, Craig is a serial womanizer who marries every woman he desires. I concluded that this was his troubled love life manifesting because the inspiration behind this story is a girl he kissed in the first grade. She keeps popping up in his memory, but Craig doesn't even know her last name. I like that the author was honest about his real-life search for the mysterious girl, although it ended haphazardly. The unhealthy obsession, however, worries me. It was unexpected when Craig underwent a psychological evaluation which revealed a few details from his childhood. I liked that the doctor who performed these tests seemed professional although at times it felt like the author was under duress. He also included some of his family members in the story. Although he gave them different names, the synopsis at the end of the book provides readers with clues about their identities.

The author accurately captured the disjointed essence of dreams. In an instant, the scenery shifted from outer space to dark dungeons and often a few years into the future. The lack of continuity, however, was a task to process. It was unclear where a dream ended, and reality began. That coupled with a combination of both the first person and third person narration made me go over some sections more than once. Since most of the sentences begin with a noun, the story felt choppy. The use of pronouns will streamline its flow and ease the reading experience. It was a task to keep up with the many characters who have difficult but similar names. They also popped up randomly, which often disoriented me. Readers who like dialogue will find a lot of it in this book. I, however, wasn't comfortable with the lengthy conversations and would've wanted to read more of Craig's adventures. Although I like fast-paced stories, this one was too fast and felt rushed. A more leisurely pace will put the events in perspective and could create two or more books out of this one.

What I disliked most about this book is that it contains multiple grammatical errors, mostly misspelled words. Since they occur in almost every paragraph, they diminished the reading experience. The errors coupled with the complicated storyline lower the book's rating to 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an unorthodox read with an unusual plot. People who like simple and straightforward storylines, however, should stay away from this book.

It Finally Happened
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This such an insightful review. The detail in it is relevant enough. Congratulations for such commendable work.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I like the fact that the book contains romance and humor, which are my favorite genres. Too bad the book was not edited and had a complicated storyline. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. A kind of dream-state book. I'm just not sure it's for me, especially with the many errors you found. Thanks for the review, but I think I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I was intrigued by the book cover, but the plot doesn't interest me. Because of that and the multiple grammar errors that you mentioned, I'll pass on this book. Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. The major flaw that I have also seen in many books nowadays is the issue of transition where at times someone is dreaming and as you go on reading, suddenly the person is doing something else. I hope it does not take much effort to find the borders.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Great review! This book's plot does sound interesting. However, I do think those grammar mistakes would be too distracting for me.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The title and cover looked so promising; too bad it was so poorly written. Thank you for the awesome review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

From trolls and dragons to television shows ... A prolonged and most probably, adventurous path. The romance of childhood seems to transform the spark of love into an obsession, and by intermix fiction with the author's real-life produces a scent of temptation. I think his honesty is one of the advantages that this book has, but the invisible boundary of imagination and reality made me pass this work because it will be hard to keep up with all the confusion that it's created. Thank you for your considered review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
hedwigwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite »

The title itself made me curious enough but after reading your review, this just isn't the book for me. The unclear distinction of when the character is in a dream and back to reality would be too disorienting for me. Add on the grammar errors, well, just no. Still, thanks for the review!
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

The review was thoroughly done :tiphat: .However this kind of imagination does not sit well with me ,so i think i will pass.Also ,i find Craig's obsession a bit repulsive.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Great review! Sounds like the book needs some major editing before I'll want to read it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”