What do you think about his Dreams and visions?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Re: What do you think about his Dreams and visions?

Post by Rosebella »

Yes. Prophetic visions and dreams aren't specifically set apart for the born again only. I think we all, despite our religious beliefs, have had dreams warning us of a future threat or future occurrence. It is based on how open someone is to receive such information.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
MissAndi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missandi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by MissAndi »

aolayide wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 07:35
MissAndi wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 10:08 I think the Lord works in mysterious ways, but I can't see Jesus approaching him telling him to "find his bones" or other such apparitions. I think strong dreams are just methods of the subconscious crying out and quite frankly I take very little stock in anything "revealed" to someone while on a hallucinatory drug.
Quite frankly, you do have a point with the "hallucinatory drug" part. However, I will disagree with you on the other part. When he had dreams about Jesus in Chapter 2, "find my bones ..." is a parable and it is not meant to be interpreted in its literal form. Dreams and visions are part of our subconscious and sometimes we see them in order to get some directions in life. Have you ever experienced sleeping and not dreaming? It is dark and blank. Dreams, visions, and revelations are there to help us find our way or to fulfil a destiny.

Nonetheless, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thank you for your response, but there is never a time your brain is not dreaming or active while you are sleeping. It's just a matter of whether or not you actually what you remember while sleeping. Perhaps I should revisit that chapter and reconsider my thoughts.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

MissAndi wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 09:37
aolayide wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 07:35
MissAndi wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 10:08 I think the Lord works in mysterious ways, but I can't see Jesus approaching him telling him to "find his bones" or other such apparitions. I think strong dreams are just methods of the subconscious crying out and quite frankly I take very little stock in anything "revealed" to someone while on a hallucinatory drug.
Quite frankly, you do have a point with the "hallucinatory drug" part. However, I will disagree with you on the other part. When he had dreams about Jesus in Chapter 2, "find my bones ..." is a parable and it is not meant to be interpreted in its literal form. Dreams and visions are part of our subconscious and sometimes we see them in order to get some directions in life. Have you ever experienced sleeping and not dreaming? It is dark and blank. Dreams, visions, and revelations are there to help us find our way or to fulfil a destiny.

Nonetheless, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thank you for your response, but there is never a time your brain is not dreaming or active while you are sleeping. It's just a matter of whether or not you actually what you remember while sleeping. Perhaps I should revisit that chapter and reconsider my thoughts.
I agree with you about the brain. Leaning more into the science of it, the brain never shuts down, while we sleep the functions are being toned down but never stopped. We call it a dream because we remember it. However, our brain is still at work, tucking away the events that happened during the day making them memories. These dreams are products of our subconscious but that does not necessarily mean they are all there giving us directions in life. :eusa-think:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

aolayide wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:34 Do you think the author would still have those dreams even if he was not born again?

When he was on the brink of suicide, he heard a voice telling him to change the way he lives his life and to think positively. Also, he was saved when he was about to get mugged. Would you say he is special? Maybe the reason why Jesus does not want anything to happen to him is that he wants him to find the essence of his teachings and give it back to the world.

What do you think? Share your thoughts.
I don't think the author is particularly special. I also don't think it matters that he was born again. I think we all see and hear what we want to.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I think that God spoke to Richard often and moved him when needed (for example, when the horse kicked at him and missed him only because Richard had been led to move at the last second). And again, with the mugging incident. Also, I think that all of us are equally special in God's eyes and that he speaks to us often if we are open to him and willing to listen.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

He is referring to every person having this inner voice which tells us right from wrong. So, his dreams were just his own subconscious telling him what he want able to perceive in his conscious.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I think Jesus wants the same for every human being here on earth. Therefore, I do think Richard would have had the dreams regardless of whether he had been born again or not.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think that it is a result of his interpretation of these things. He appears to have always had an interest in understanding God, thus this drive would have led him to adopt a religious interpretation on such things.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

Yes, I think the author would have still had those dreams regardless if he was born again or not. The truth of the matter is that God can bring anyone into his light by showing him/her his true revelation with the goal that such individual can leave a superior life and even effect others profoundly.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 01:53 I think God can use anyone at anytime, and the method chosen can include dreams and visions. The difficulty with dreams and visions is trying to find the right words to convey it clearly. To try and describe a supernatural occurrence isn’t easy, so I commend him on a job well done for that. Dreams and visions can be up for interpretation as well. They are so personal to each individual that it takes discernment to know what the real meaning is.

As far as divine protection, I believe in it. He was called to complete a mission in this life and it seemed like he was given a invisible lifeline to keep on going to fulfil this.
You're so right. You took the words right out of my mouth.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 00:24 Could Jesus be wanting this of all of us? Or is he just extra special?
No, not at all. We all have different paths designed by God to our God-given purpose. He's not extra special, he just found his spiritual path and followed the rhythm wherever it led him.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

aolayide wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:34 Do you think the author would still have those dreams even if he was not born again?

When he was on the brink of suicide, he heard a voice telling him to change the way he lives his life and to think positively. Also, he was saved when he was about to get mugged. Would you say he is special? Maybe the reason why Jesus does not want anything to happen to him is that he wants him to find the essence of his teachings and give it back to the world.

What do you think? Share your thoughts.
We are all special to God, when we do what He wants us to do in order to fulfill His purpose for our lives. Like Richard said, if everyone had his experience with Isness, the world would be better. I think it was just his destiny. The dreams and visions were all avenues used to reach Richard and awaken him.

Untamed Blondie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Untamed Blondie »

I believe that some people find dreams away to guide them through life.
Dreams tell of your unconscious mind & what’s to come.
I’ve actually had dreams that fore-told my future.
If something weighs heavy on us, then the dreams will make us aware of what we need to work on in our lives to find peace & comfort
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

It's a matter of perception. The author's dreams are like the mirrors of his belief in the isness he found.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I think that whatever higher power is looking over us would want a satisfying life for all. We have free will, according to some ideologies, those choices we make and voices or inner voice we choose to listen too is up to us.

So, no. I don't think he is special. I think he chose to listen to a positive inner voice.
Spencer Mack

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”