Official Review: Peace To Be or Not To Be

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Peace To Be or Not To Be

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peace To Be or Not To Be" by Mary Rose DeAngelo.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Peace, to Be or Not to Be, Mary Rose DeAngelo shares insights for reaching one's highest potential through mind, body, soul, and spirit. Based on her life experiences and drawing from her profession as a nurse, DeAngelo describes the powerful correlation between the mind and physical health. She emphasizes the transformative power of love, the strength found in embracing weaknesses, and "discovering God's presence in each other." DeAngelo provides steps for keeping a journal to release suppressed emotions while awakening the talents within the soul to find healing and peace.

DeAngelo conveys passion in her writing. It's evident that she desires to help others find true peace by overcoming some of the spiritually and physically unhealthy beliefs she unintentionally practiced. Additionally, the artwork on the cover is a beautiful representation of the peace DeAngelo hopes to impart to readers.

On the other hand, many of DeAngelo's passionate pleas evoke feelings of being lectured. Another issue is identified by the following comment. "It took 40 years to finish the first book; weeks for the second." Sadly, DeAngelo's admission that she only spent weeks writing the book was painfully evident by the disjointed writing style, repetitious content, and copious errors. Overall, the book read like the erratic ramblings one might write in a journal. It may be therapeutic for the writer to pen pages of unorganized content, but it doesn't engage readers. In one instance, DeAngelo was relating the peaceful feelings she experienced on her vacation in Jamaica. Suddenly, she began writing about acupuncture before reverting back to her vacation story. I realize her intent was to draw comparisons between the two experiences. However, there was an overall pattern of disrupting the flow of one story by jumping prematurely into the next.

Although the book wasn't particularly long, editing the repetitious content probably would have reduced the number of pages by half. To clarify, I'm not referring to emphasizing a specific point or recapping information that was previously covered. The issue I had was with paragraphs that were repeated verbatim in more than one chapter. Some examples include DeAngelo's thoughts on nutrition, praise for Oprah Winfrey, and detailed instructions for writing a contemplative journal about suppressed emotions.

The book wasn't professionally edited, as I noted 32 errors prior to the second chapter. Errors included incorrect spellings, misplaced apostrophes, and random capitalizations. The frequent capitalization seemed to be for emphasis but was inconsistently executed. On the same page, a word would be capitalized three times but not the fourth. There was also a pattern of including sentences as quotations without citing the references. Several scriptures were quoted without any mention of the Bible or the verse reference. For all of the reasons previously mentioned, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars and am unable to recommend it.

Peace To Be or Not To Be
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

I was wondering why you rated this book 1 out of 4 stars, I think I get where you are coming from after reading your review. Reading it must have been a torture for you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mantha1 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 10:41 I was wondering why you rated this book 1 out of 4 stars, I think I get where you are coming from after reading your review. Reading it must have been a torture for you.
I dislike giving the lowest rating, but sometimes it is necessary. Thanks for your comment.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 10:56
DeAngelo conveys passion in her writing. It's evident that she desires to help others find true peace by overcoming some of the spiritually and physically unhealthy beliefs she unintentionally practiced. Additionally, the artwork on the cover is a beautiful representation of the peace DeAngelo hopes to impart to readers
Personally, I have never had to rate any book 1 star, and I don't imagine it's easy. In this case however, it seems as though it couldn't be helped. I like how, regardless of this, you were still able to begin the review with praise for the book. As per your advice, I think I'll stay away from this book.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 14:57
Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 10:56
DeAngelo conveys passion in her writing. It's evident that she desires to help others find true peace by overcoming some of the spiritually and physically unhealthy beliefs she unintentionally practiced. Additionally, the artwork on the cover is a beautiful representation of the peace DeAngelo hopes to impart to readers
Personally, I have never had to rate any book 1 star, and I don't imagine it's easy. In this case however, it seems as though it couldn't be helped. I like how, regardless of this, you were still able to begin the review with praise for the book. As per your advice, I think I'll stay away from this book.
I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
hedwigwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite »

The beautiful cover drew me in, but after reading your review, seems like there was no choice but to give it a 1-star rating. If the book was more organised and professionally edited, perhaps it could have been a wonderful book. :(
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

hedwigwhite wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 22:14 The beautiful cover drew me in, but after reading your review, seems like there was no choice but to give it a 1-star rating. If the book was more organised and professionally edited, perhaps it could have been a wonderful book. :(
Thank you for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't see you rating many books 1 out of 4 stars, but this one seems to warrant it. I guess the only good thing about the repetitious content was that you could skip the paragraphs you had already read?? Either way, it's not a book for me, and it's clearly in need of major editing. Thanks but no thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 09:37 I don't see you rating many books 1 out of 4 stars, but this one seems to warrant it. I guess the only good thing about the repetitious content was that you could skip the paragraphs you had already read?? Either way, it's not a book for me, and it's clearly in need of major editing. Thanks but no thanks!
Thanks for your comment.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Thanks for the heads up!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

i need this book to enlighten my day and self. thank you.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

Thank you for finishing the book and writing the review. Your honesty is appreciated.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”