Official Review: Brain Candy by Deirdre Allen Timmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Brain Candy by Deirdre Allen Timmons

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brain Candy" by Deirdre Allen Timmons.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brain Candy by Deirdre Timmons is a witty memoir about a very serious topic - brain cancer. Deirdre is a forty-seven-year-old filmmaker who has her hands full. Her mother has Alzheimer’s disease, her teenage daughter keeps her busy, and her husband wants to open a barbecue joint. Over the past year, Deirdre has been experiencing a range of worrisome symptoms, including dizziness and unexplained bruising. After undergoing a series of tests, she is diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor known as a medulloblastoma; this type of malignant tumor is rare in adults and usually affects babies. Faced with a grim prognosis, Deirdre seeks two additional medical opinions and then plows ahead with treatment.

I absolutely loved this book. The author’s conversational writing style propels the story forward in an entertaining way. I know it sounds strange to describe a story about cancer and Alzheimer’s disease as entertaining. However, humor can be its own form of medicine when you are coping with trying circumstances. In particular, Deirdre’s mother Kathy is a hoot. She manages to maintain her sassy personality and ability to deliver great one-liners, even though Alzheimer’s disease has taken its toll on her.

The main characters are fleshed out well. However, I didn’t always get a good sense of the supporting characters. There is a parade of neighbors, friends, and Deirdre’s brothers who flit in and out of the storyline. Still, it is realistic that there is a large cast of characters, given Deirdre’s situation. For example, several neighbors and friends step up to provide meals, transportation, and general support. It is also understandable that there would be numerous visits with different doctors and technicians.

The story has an intimate feel, even during the medical scenes. There is a lot of technical information about her medical tests, diagnosis, treatment, and side effects. Still, the story never gets bogged down by the details. The pace is fairly brisk, especially in the first half of the book. The author does a good job of conveying a race against time in battling cancer.

I felt like I was watching a movie while reading this book. I could clearly picture Deirdre undergoing chemo and radiation treatments, as well as enduring the side effects. The scenes with Deirdre and her mother are also vividly described. The witty banter between the two women is one of the highlights of the story. It feels effortless and dances off the page.

I noticed approximately fifteen errors throughout the story. The mistakes include punctuation in the wrong place, missing words, typos, spelling errors, incorrect plural/singular verbs, missing commas, and incorrect words. The errors mar an otherwise wonderful writing style.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The injection of humor provides a nice balance to the serious themes of brain cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Unfortunately, the editing issues prevent me from awarding the highest rating to this absorbing story. Fans of memoirs will surely enjoy this book. I would also recommend it to readers who have dealt with similar experiences. It is an unflinchingly honest and inspirational story that I won’t soon forget.

Brain Candy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! She's been through so much. That's a lot of any one person to deal with. I'm definitely interesting in her story and how she handles it. Thanks for another great review. Putting it on my list!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreeley! I was disappointed that I couldn't give the book 4 stars, since the story really deserved it. It's frustrating when I am required to lower the rating due to numerous errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy and your excellent review has further piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 12:51 I know it sounds strange to describe a story about cancer and Alzheimer’s disease as entertaining. However, humor can be its own form of medicine when you are coping with trying circumstances.
Yes! A positive mindset helps everyone move toward a positive outcome in even the most trying circumstances. I look forward to reading this book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for pointing out the presence of humor in what would otherwise be quite a sombre read. I do enjoy a good memoir, and your review has convinced me to give this one a shot.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your review makes me want to read the book, yet the poor editing that you mentioned makes me hesitant. I enjoy memoirs, especially those with humor while dealing with trying circumstances. Since the author is a filmmaker, maybe there will be a movie. I wouldn't be distracted by comma errors if I were watching the story unfold instead of reading it.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This sounds so interesting. I usually like to read fiction, but based on your review it sounds like the memoir is written enough like a story for me to enjoy it. The subject matter sounds like it could be upsetting, but if it's funny too it might be okay!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”