Official Review: Defy your Destiny by Fiori Giovanni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Defy your Destiny by Fiori Giovanni

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Defy your Destiny" by Fiori Giovanni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine for a second that you are a twelve-year-old girl with only two choices: becoming a child bride or fighting for your country as a child soldier. What would you do? Would you succumb to either destiny or would you defy each path?

Fiori Giovanni faced this exact dilemma when she was a teenager in her war-torn country, Eritrea. Fiori had to get married to an older man as tradition predisposed or join the war against Ethiopia. She did not want to do either, so she defied her destiny. In Defy Your Destiny, Fiori shares how she defied the expectations of her parents and her country to fulfill her dreams of education, work, and freedom. Her perilous journey started in Eritrea, continued through Sudan and Libya, took her across the water to Europe, and ended in Australia.

Defy Your Destiny is a heart-rending non-fiction book about resilience, optimism, drive, and determination while facing traumatic circumstances. Fiori’s resolution to keep going despite facing an unwanted marriage, war, barbarism, racism, death, and domestic abuse astounded me. She is an extraordinary woman who managed to turn her harrowing experiences into an incendiary heart that fueled her character, work ethic, dreams, and success.

Fiori’s story shows the worst and the best of humanity. Barbarous acts of war, the dreadful existence of child marriages and child soldiers, the ugliness of racism, and the deplorable behaviors of sexual harassment and domestic abuse are some examples of the worst that humanity has to offer. Fiori experienced all of that. Notwithstanding, the most precious aspect of this book is that the reader gets to take a look at the essence of a human being’s indomitable will to survive and succeed. Fiori transformed all of that suffering into focus, goals, new friends, education, jobs, and love. She shows the reader that transmuting pain into passion is one of the most beautiful abilities human beings possess.

I cried a few times while reading this book. Even though I know of the existence of child marriages, it shocked me that Fiori’s parents wanted her to marry when she was just twelve years old. Fiori says: “For many Eritrean parents, the ultimate life goal is for their children to marry early, and to have babies quickly, even if they are practically babies themselves.” The fact that child marriages are a regular occurrence in parts of our world is distressing. Another part of the book that caused me anguish was when reading about what happened to Fiori’s brother, Amanuel, whose fate demonstrates that the world community needs to do much more for refugees from war-ravaged countries.

Beyond a doubt, I rate Defy Your Destiny by Fiori Giovanni 4 out of 4 stars because it is a story about survival that discusses themes that are affecting millions of people and brings awareness and hope. Fiori’s writing style is neat and touching, and the book was exceptionally well edited. Her journey inspires the reader to keep going no matter what happens. A person can shape his or her destiny. In the author’s own words: “My destiny was constantly being defied, not by chance, but by choice. Not by any stroke of luck, but by blood, sweat, and tears.”

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy inspiring memoirs and stories about contemporary world problems. I would not recommend this book to sensitive readers. Note that the book has violent content about war and distressing events with racism, domestic abuse, and sexual harassment.

Defy your Destiny
View: on Bookshelves

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
hedwigwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite »

This seems like an inspiring book. To be able to turn your pain into strength, that is really hard to do. I'd probably cry reading this book too. But I'm going to give it a pass. Thank you for pointing out that this book is not for sensitive readers. As one of them, I probably won't be able to read past the first chapter, even if I wanted to finish the whole book. :cry2:
lizette
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by lizette »

Latest Review: Defy your Destiny by Fiori Giovanni
I love how Yomari , makes the story become alive and her narrative on the heroism and inner strength, of Fiori. This book, is one of those books that serves as an inspiration and can impact a multitude, to discover their own innate capabilities and strength. Certainly a book, I'd love to read and recommend.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! You know, I guess I didn't even think about the fact that those could be a women's only choices. I must read this book. I can imagine, though, how emotional it will be. Thanks for a great review. Putting it on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love that Fiori was strong enough to defy her destiny. The resiliency Fiori exuded while facing such traumatic experiences makes this book sound like a truly inspiring story and must read!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a beautiful and difficult survival story. This is clearly a unique person who could defy these odds. Thank you for the interesting review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ellie11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ellie11 »

Defy your destiny: Flori Giovanni
I love how the story shows that woman are just as powerful and strong as men. Flori breaks the sexism and creates a woman who is free, she may be running from her destiny but in doing so she is also freeing herself from the chains of either being forced to go to war or marry an old man.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

hedwigwhite wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 02:07 This seems like an inspiring book. To be able to turn your pain into strength, that is really hard to do. I'd probably cry reading this book too. But I'm going to give it a pass. Thank you for pointing out that this book is not for sensitive readers. As one of them, I probably won't be able to read past the first chapter, even if I wanted to finish the whole book. :cry2:
Her inner power amazed me. I am a sensitive reader too, so I only read books like this one once or twice a year. No worries, I understand. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

lizette wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 05:42 Latest Review: Defy your Destiny by Fiori Giovanni
I love how Yomari , makes the story become alive and her narrative on the heroism and inner strength, of Fiori. This book, is one of those books that serves as an inspiration and can impact a multitude, to discover their own innate capabilities and strength. Certainly a book, I'd love to read and recommend.
Fiori is a role model of determination and strength. I am glad you enjoyed my review and want to read the book. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 08:42 Wow! You know, I guess I didn't even think about the fact that those could be a women's only choices. I must read this book. I can imagine, though, how emotional it will be. Thanks for a great review. Putting it on my list.
Unfortunately, these are the only choices girls have in many parts of the world . Their societies do not allow for anything else. It is horrible. I am glad you enjoyed the review and want to read the book. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Eva Darrington wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 11:28 What a beautiful and difficult survival story. This is clearly a unique person who could defy these odds. Thank you for the interesting review.
Definitely, Fiori is extraordinary. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Ellie11 wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 11:42 Defy your destiny: Flori Giovanni
I love how the story shows that woman are just as powerful and strong as men. Flori breaks the sexism and creates a woman who is free, she may be running from her destiny but in doing so she is also freeing herself from the chains of either being forced to go to war or marry an old man.
Completely agree with your statement. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

You seem pretty passionate about the book! I suppose Flori Giovanni was quite an inspiring protagonist. It sounds like quite a heart wrenching read, so I'm quite glad to know she survives beforehand. Thank you for your review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”