Official Review: Difficult Blessings by Lori Heaton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Difficult Blessings by Lori Heaton

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Difficult Blessings" by Lori Heaton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Most of us acknowledge the blessings we receive and are thankful for them. When blessings are borne of adversity, they can be a little harder to recognize." In Difficult Blessings, Lori Heaton shares the bittersweet life lessons she learned from her daughter's illness.

Written in the first-person narrative, Heaton chronicles her family's journey after four-year-old Maddie's diagnosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension. With heartfelt honesty, Heaton details the challenges of caring for a child with an incurable life-threatening disease while advocating for Maddie to live the purpose-filled life she desired. Each chapter reflects a "difficult blessing" learned. Topics include the importance of family, compassion, gratitude, resilience, embracing spirituality, God's tender mercies, sacrifice, happiness, and learning to live in the moment. The overall message is uplifting and inspirational not only regarding illness but also in facing adversity in general. The book concludes with a small photo gallery featuring Maddie, friends, and family members.

As a parent, I can't begin to imagine the experience of fighting daily for my child's life, which Heaton relates beautifully. She somehow manages to portray both the anguish and simple joys that were simultaneously present in her family's daily lives. After Maddie was subsequently diagnosed and conquered acute lymphocytic leukemia, she eventually needed two lung transplants. Heaton transparently describes struggling with anger toward God and how she learned to view tender mercies as answers to prayers. Also, as a nurse by profession, she simplifies the medical jargon associated with the many symptoms and procedures Maddie endured.

However, it was the glimpses Heaton provided of Maddie's indomitable spirit that particularly moved me. "Maddie could have confronted her trials with bitterness and resentment, but I never once heard her complain that life was unfair." Nicknamed "Miracle Maddie" by those who were involved in her medical care, Heaton described her daughter as having the spirit of a warrior and a sassy attitude. In and out of hospitals from the time she was 4-24, Maddie still exemplified joy--sporting a pink mohawk because "life is too short for boring hair" and spontaneously busting Michael Jackson moves the first time she was freed from her continuous IV.

The book was also exceptionally edited. While there were aspects of the book dealing with Maddie's illness that I found difficult to read, they didn't detract from its overall uplifting message. As I found no other improvements needed, I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate inspirational reads related to facing adversity. It will also be a helpful resource for the parents and caretakers of those with illnesses.

Difficult Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
DALINTON
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by DALINTON »

The story is captivating, and looks interesting.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This is definitely a must-read. The Miracle Maddie story seems quite moving. Then there's the pink mohawk... Thank you for such an insightful review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Heaton's optimism is admirable. Even if she's going through frightening circumstances, she succeeds to remain positive and to see good in the bad things that is happening. Impressive! Thank you for your great review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

DALINTON wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 06:34 The story is captivating, and looks interesting.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

DogoMulla wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 09:59 This is definitely a must-read. The Miracle Maddie story seems quite moving. Then there's the pink mohawk... Thank you for such an insightful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

InStoree wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 10:25 Heaton's optimism is admirable. Even if she's going through frightening circumstances, she succeeds to remain positive and to see good in the bad things that is happening. Impressive! Thank you for your great review!
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This reminds me of the Laura Story song called Blessings. It talks about how blessings can come through rain, through storms, through adversity. I probably need a reminder of this in my life right now. I should probably pick it up. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 11:39 This reminds me of the Laura Story song called Blessings. It talks about how blessings can come through rain, through storms, through adversity. I probably need a reminder of this in my life right now. I should probably pick it up. Thanks for another great review.
I LOVE that song!
Thanks for commenting!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

This book is indeed inspiring, the topics I like the most are happiness, compassion and God's tender mercies. Awesome review as always.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

There seems to be much to love about this book. Hooray for exceptional editing, first of all. The story sounds heartwrenching, but I love that each chapter outlines a blessing. What an inspiring read! Thanks for the great review.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rose Harebate wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 14:35 This book is indeed inspiring, the topics I like the most are happiness, compassion and God's tender mercies. Awesome review as always.
Thank you for your kind comment, Rose.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 17:08 There seems to be much to love about this book. Hooray for exceptional editing, first of all. The story sounds heartwrenching, but I love that each chapter outlines a blessing. What an inspiring read! Thanks for the great review.
Thank you, Sarah.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that many of these things would be hard to read. But, as you say, her story is inspiring. This novel really interests me. Thanks for your fascinating review.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I'm captivated to hear how parents cope with the loss of a child. I lost my own son unexpectedly at age 16. This sounds like a great book for me to read. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”