Review by Kibetious -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review by Kibetious -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seattle Express is a 700-foot container ship that is en route to Seattle. It is possessed by Buckhorn Industries. The fire alarms go off. The crew attempts to locate the position of the fire, but it is already too late. There is a lot of smoke, and the entire crew is in danger. The captain decides to promptly abandon the ship. There are two lifeboats. Therefore, the crew splits into two groups. One will be headed by the captain, Steve Procida, and the other by Randall, the first mate and fire captain. Meanwhile, a private salvage company, Sol Duc Towing, picks up a distress call on their radio which they always left on. Larry Hunt and his workmates decide to go and tow the ship. The pay they receive from towing it may help to keep the company running. Buckhorn also sends out two of their tugs to tow back their ship. Their tugboats are faster than the Sol Duc Towing company ship, Warhorse. Who will reach the abandoned ship first? Was the tragic fire an accident? How had all the fire sensors gone down without anyone noticing?

Adrift is a standalone sequel to Strong Heart. It falls in the genre of other fiction. The author of the book is Charlie Sheldon. It was published in 2018 by Iron Twine Press. The book is approximately 322 pages long. One does not have to read the first book to understand what is going on in the story. However, it will be good to read the first book because the background will aid the reader to get along with the characters. There are many characters in this book. Some were in the prequel. These include Sarah, Tom, Myra, Pete, William, Raymond, Sergei, and Roger. Others are new. All of them were adequately developed. It was at the time of distress that the unique traits of some characters were clearly revealed. Character development is one of the aspects I liked in the book.

The plot was also adequately built. The book was amazing down to the last page. There was no lengthy introduction that could be boring to some readers. The reader’s attention is captured right from the first page. The story was narrated in the first person point-of-view by different characters. The decision to allow the major characters to narrate the story from the first point-of-view was exemplary. It allowed one to read into their innermost fears and concerns about their loved ones. There was a lot of air of dreadful uncertainty between the two lifeboats. Both leaders were unsure about what had happened to their counterparts.

The story was completely realistic. I have to confess that at some instance I had forgotten this was a fiction book. The hazards at sea were described comprehensively. Conversations between characters were equally simple and realistic. The good thing is that the author has been at sea too. I have under no circumstances been at sea but the description was enough to make feel like I was part of the crew. This was not a story where the author takes some little time to describe a situation then jumps to something else. It was excellently done. The themes handled in the book included carelessness, survival, teamwork, leadership, sacrifice, and hope. What stood out for me was teamwork. You will have to read this to see how this theme shaped most of the events in the story.

The book was professionally edited. I did not discover any grammatical error. The language employed was straightforward and easy to understand although there are some few vocabularies associated with ships. I did not think that this would detract anyone from enjoying the story. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly liked it and I heartily recommend it to all readers. It will appeal most to those who enjoy adventures, especially at sea.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Thank you for sharing this review! I absolutely love adventures books, so I'll make sure to add this to my reading list.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Morgan Jones wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 04:15 Thank you for sharing this review! I absolutely love adventures books, so I'll make sure to add this to my reading list.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am very grateful. This is a must-read book indeed for those who love adventures.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I've been debating on reading this one, but many of the at-sea books I've read seem to have glaring plot holes! This one seems well-planned out and I'll be adding it to my list! Thanks for your review :)
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Firefawkes wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 08:50 I've been debating on reading this one, but many of the at-sea books I've read seem to have glaring plot holes! This one seems well-planned out and I'll be adding it to my list! Thanks for your review :)
I am happy that you have now made up your mind to read the book. Thanks a lot for the reply. I am very grateful and I hope that you will enjoy reading the book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

A series book that can be read as a standalone and interest a reader from the first page is a must read. Thanks for an amazing review.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Not the type of book for me, but your review was refreshingly clear, honest and detailed. Really good stuff!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

nooregano wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 00:20 Not the type of book for me, but your review was refreshingly clear, honest and detailed. Really good stuff!
Thanks a lot for the comment, Nooregano. I am really grateful. I understand this because there are some genres that I do not enjoy reading them. I guess everyone has one or more.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a great adventure story, dealing with wonderful themes. I always love when and author can pull off a first-person narrative in a way that makes it feel like it's not even a fiction book. Thanks for a thorough review!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

unamilagra wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 16:25 This sounds like a great adventure story, dealing with wonderful themes. I always love when and author can pull off a first-person narrative in a way that makes it feel like it's not even a fiction book. Thanks for a thorough review!
Indeed, it is a great adventurous story. It is one where you will feel you are with the characters as they battle for survival. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I’m getting ready to read this one. It sounds good.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I liked it when you said that you've forgotten it's a fiction book because of how realistic the scenes are. It just shows in writing whether the author has experience with it. Glad to know that overall the adventure was amazing and the characters are well-written. Thanks for this thorough review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

Kibetious' review is as engaging as Adrift. It defies gravity and inertia that makes one feel the commotion aboard a burning vessel adrift a deep and huge body of water amidrolling wild waves.
Recommended for e everyone who loves adventure.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Wow quite a catching and in-depth review that easily kept my attention. I love how your description is so visual I can almost see the smoke covering the whole ship. Thanks.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

teacherjh wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 13:56 I’m getting ready to read this one. It sounds good.
I am very sure that you will enjoy reading it as much as I did. Thanks a lot for the reply on the review.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”