Review by ChydeanmahE95 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by ChydeanmahE95 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There was a warning note right under the book description as I accepted the review opportunity. It said clearly, ‘this book stinks!’ It literally did. But it equally communicated some significant information.

Len Foley’s children picture book, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks advises young children about neatness and the importance of keeping one’s socks clean. Because they smell worse than a stale fish!

I recommend this book to children of ages four to six. This is mostly because it is a very short book of about three pages and will likely not bore the children or cause their attention to wander. This book is written like a poem and words rhyme with each other. Reading to younger children could be made interesting by emphasizing the words that rhyme humorously.

I liked that there were colorful, striking pictures to go along with the words. Readers would not need trying to imagine what Sigfried was talking about, especially those who have no idea what a hose looks like. The words were written in large lettering to prevent strain to the eyes. I especially appreciated that. There was also a bit of sure humor to keep children laughing.

I do feel strongly that the book should not have contained so many disgusting, unappealing items and descriptions. I found myself saying ‘eww’ and crinkling up my nose at many points. I could literally smell the odor oozing out of the book. I guess that’s the reaction it intended to get out of readers. An example of such is when Sigfried said his polka-dot socks smell like dog slobber and his red socks smell like toilet seats. Whew!

No error of any kind is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Parents whose children have really light stomachs should not read this to them.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChydeanmahE95's review? Post a comment saying so!
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Readers often mention that a strong stomach is needed for this one. Thanks for an interesting review, at any rate!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
ChydeanmahE95

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 10:53 Readers often mention that a strong stomach is needed for this one. Thanks for an interesting review, at any rate!
Thank you for stopping by.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for your succinct review. I can only imagine how gross the 3 pages get! I guess it is intended to shock children into good hygiene practices, but as you point out, does the stink have to be so explicit? Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
ChydeanmahE95

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 09:29 Thanks for your succinct review. I can only imagine how gross the 3 pages get! I guess it is intended to shock children into good hygiene practices, but as you point out, does the stink have to be so explicit? Great review!
Thank you.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like that you found an educational purpose for this book. I always thought about this book more as a fun read than an educational experience. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”