Review by T_stone -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by T_stone -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by T_stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula, the eighth book in the Inca Cat Detective series written by R.F. Kristi, is a children's illustrated adventure book. The story follows the adventure of Inca (a cat) and her team of renowned (cats and dog) detectives in Korea. Jorge Valle illustrated this book, and Melanie Lopata edited it. It has 120 pages.

Inca's detective agency consists of her brother, Fromage, her Siamese sister, Cara, Terrance (the dog), and her other friends, Monk and Polo. Inca's mum, Missy, a human, was selected to be one of the judges in the French patisserie competition organized by "Le Cordon Bleu". The competition is taking place in South Korea. Missy decided to travel with Solo (Missy's admirer), Terrance, Inca, and her siblings. Monk and Polo stayed back on this particular trip. Missy plans to launch her special cheese (La Crème de la Crème) in South Korea. Their arrival in South Korea was a sight to behold; it was a grand entry. Inca's team of detectives sprung up to work when Missy realized the box that had her special cheese was missing.

The plot of this story was suspenseful and realistic, and the action was fast-paced. Kristi mentioned some important themes in this book. Their covert rescue mission in North Korea proved they valued friendship and unity very much. Some of the other themes are teamwork, love, happiness, and the importance of family.

The characters in Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula are well-developed, dynamic, and multi-dimensional. Fromage was my favorite character in this story. He believes the family cheese enterprise belongs to him; he acts accordingly. I like Inca's bravery and leadership skills. However, Terrance's ferocious ability and courage make him my second favorite character.

Kristi's writing style is descriptive and exciting. I like how the author used a few French words in the book. The illustrations by Jorge Valle were eye-catching and evenly distributed. This book can also be standalone.

Cat detectives in the Korean Peninsula is professionally edited as I found only one spacing error in its entirety. I didn't spot any grammatical or typographical errors. I would recommend this book to children between the ages of five and twelve. They will find the story and illustrations interesting. I would also recommend this book to adults who love to read children's stories with a well-driven plot. However, younger children might not find this interesting as the themes may be difficult to understand. The few pictorial illustrations might also bore them.

I hereby rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It helps children and adults to gain a little knowledge about other cultures and geographical locations. It would also help its readers to learn to overcome jealousy and conflicts. North and South Korea will hopefully, learn the same.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like T_stone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder when North and South Korea will finally live in true harmony (and sign that peace pact!) for good. Maybe they can celebrate the milestone by renaming Pyongyang Hart. (Hart and Seoul, eh!)

I love Inca and look forward to reading this Korean adventure; that cover is so cute!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Cats, suspense, and international intrigue?! Sounds delightful. It's also hard not to love a cat named Fromage. I think it's cool that this was set in South Korea. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 21:40 I wonder when North and South Korea will finally live in true harmony (and sign that peace pact!) for good. Maybe they can celebrate the milestone by renaming Pyongyang Hart. (Hart and Seoul, eh!)

I love Inca and look forward to reading this Korean adventure; that cover is so cute!
It's high time they did actually. I don't think it will happen soon though. The cover was the reason I picked it the book. It's indeed an interesting read.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 16:18 Cats, suspense, and international intrigue?! Sounds delightful. It's also hard not to love a cat named Fromage. I think it's cool that this was set in South Korea. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate your comment.

Rob White
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This books sounds fun and educational (with some French words as a bonus!) for children! My niece is probably too young right now to understand the themes, but I will definitely be saving this book for when she's older! Thanks for the review :)
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Firefawkes wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 18:59 This books sounds fun and educational (with some French words as a bonus!) for children! My niece is probably too young right now to understand the themes, but I will definitely be saving this book for when she's older! Thanks for the review :)
Thanks for commenting.

Rob White
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The lessons of overcoming conflict and jealousy are very important. It's always nice to see children's books that impart some useful knowledge to kids. I can think of a few kids that'll benefit from this book. Great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

prospero360 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 17:11 The lessons of overcoming conflict and jealousy are very important. It's always nice to see children's books that impart some useful knowledge to kids. I can think of a few kids that'll benefit from this book. Great review.
I'm sure the kids will enjoy this one. Thanks for stopping by

Rob White
Amelia-Lily
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

I would not know how to make this book better than what Kristi has already done. It is already perfect. 
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Inca and his animal detectives are quite interesting characters to read about. I was touched by the risk they took to bring Ye-Jun's sister's cat across the North Korean border. Thanks for a compelling review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”