Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Dibs and Dabs of my Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Dibs and Dabs of my Life

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dibs and Dabs of my Life" by Gertrude Coulter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My dearest child, do you like to know what it was like living in the early 1900s? We used an icebox instead of a refrigerator, washtub instead of washing machine, and played outside instead of video games. I observed the social changes with fascination throughout my whole life. Back then life was much simpler, we never had Facebook, iPod, or portable phones, but now, I can't live a moment without depending on them.

Being the only girl in a family of two boys: we lived with our grandparents until my parents could be financially stable. It was normal back then for married children to live with their parents until they could be financially independent. Can you imagine that? Hardly, I think. Now, now, I know you want to hear more about the old days, my dear. Let me take you back: I still believe that I grew up in the best of times...

Reviving heart-warming memories, Gertrude Coulter inspired me in her short read Dibs and Dabs of My Life. It unfolds a woman's journey through a different era, bringing out the importance of family values and love. Written in the first person perspective: it's an ideal read for readers who have keen interests in family theme, memoir, and 1900s lifestyle.

Gertrude takes us to a time when life was family oriented: mothers were full-time stay-at-home moms, and dads were the breadwinners. A time when technology had less influence in the people's lives. Gertrude included surface details about her experiences during World War II. The background information provided takes us to the East of Arkansas.

The style of writing was simple and effective. Gertrude included family pictures: this evoked a feeling of looking at an old family album. Gertrude used sound effects as an added literary device to offer an effective reading experience, such as, "When Grandmother heard the sounds of the horse’s hooves clomp, clomp, clomping down the street, ... (p. 141)." Her ability to give life to her words contributed a pleasant and comforting reading experience which allowed me to rate this read 3 out of 4 stars. Her passion is evident, and there were tit-bits of laugh-out-loud moment in this read.

Gertrude's power of positivity and lively nature captivated me. Her ability to adapt in any negative situation is evident on the way she handles them, such as, "... United States had declared war. That was on Sunday, December 7, 1941. During the next few years, everyone had to make a lot of sacrifices. Foods and shoes were ration. One thing we learned was how to budget. (p. 234)" The author never burdened her readers with her troubles. She took care to write what was necessary and needed.

I enjoyed this read on one sitting. It provided insightful visualizations about the lifestyle in the early to mid 1900s. The author portrays how technology changed and influenced people's early lifestyle. I noticed the values and free-spirited nature of her family which made me realize how much we miss. Gertrude portrayed true circumstances that era provided. The author was a great storyteller: she gave me a perfect experience of a grandma telling her story.

Honestly, there wasn't a section in this read that I didn't enjoy. I didn't encounter any difficulty while reading but noted a lot of minor grammatical and punctuation errors. Therefore, I wish to exercise the importance of re-edit this read. Concluding her insightful journey, I couldn't agree more on,
... parental help and attention at home are essential to a child’s progress in school (p. 462).
So this is my story: now, run, run along and play, my dear. It's a beautiful day!

Dibs and Dabs of my Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The laugh-aloud moments of this memoir sets it apart from other memoirs which are almost like textbooks. Thanks for breaking it down in such an engaging manner. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I really liked the sample of this one I read when it was Book of the Day.
The style of writing was simple and effective.
This seems so true! I really admire her ability to communicate so much in so short a space. Thanks for this great review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 17:45 The laugh-aloud moments of this memoir sets it apart from other memoirs which are almost like textbooks. Thanks for breaking it down in such an engaging manner. Great review!
I'm glad you found it helpful. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:16 I really liked the sample of this one I read when it was Book of the Day.
The style of writing was simple and effective.
This seems so true! I really admire her ability to communicate so much in so short a space. Thanks for this great review!
The feelings that she shared never fell to deaf ears. Thank you for stopping by!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

An awesome journey. It reminded me of my childhood. Awesome review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Sahani Nimandra

Susmita Biswas wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 05:46 An awesome journey. It reminded me of my childhood. Awesome review.
I'm glad it did. Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I have this book on my sights because I like her praise for the old days when kids played outside, and people were not hung up on social media. Thanks for the lovely review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra

Yolimari wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 04:36 I have this book on my sights because I like her praise for the old days when kids played outside, and people were not hung up on social media. Thanks for the lovely review!
Trust me! You will enjoy thing book as much as I have. :tiphat: Thank you for stopping by!
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

Sounds like such a sweet read. We could all benefit from a reminder of what things used to be like before technology took over everyone’s lives.
Sahani Nimandra

shereads shereads wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 14:34 Sounds like such a sweet read. We could all benefit from a reminder of what things used to be like before technology took over everyone’s lives.
Couldn't agree more. The old days are much relaxing. :tiphat: Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

parental help and attention at home are essential to a child’s progress in school
This is exactly what my husband thinks. Thinking about my childhood, I have other thoughts. I don't think micromanagement is the cure-all, although it's easier to poke around somebody else's nose to ensure everything meets our expectations. I'm not saying his wrong, though. Nonetheless, thank you for another interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 01:12
parental help and attention at home are essential to a child’s progress in school
This is exactly what my husband thinks. Thinking about my childhood, I have other thoughts. I don't think micromanagement is the cure-all, although it's easier to poke around somebody else's nose to ensure everything meets our expectations. I'm not saying his wrong, though. Nonetheless, thank you for another interesting review.
Children should grown with the sense of understanding the right from wrong, but I don't think its a bad thing to have parents as guidance. :tiphat: Thank you for commenting! Espie
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It seems like an amazing book and I remember I enjoyed the sample when it was BOTD. It reminds me fondly of the stories my grandma used to tell. I think the author's approach to life is admirable, she's been able to adapt to a lot of change and maybe she can inspire us to rescue some of the old-times values and make our time period better. I don't think all moms should be stay at home moms or all dads breadwinners, but we could learn to value again the importance of family and simpler joys.
As always your review is creative and compelling and this one's especially heartwarming. Thanks, Sahani.
Sahani Nimandra

Lunastella wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 09:46 It seems like an amazing book and I remember I enjoyed the sample when it was BOTD. It reminds me fondly of the stories my grandma used to tell. I think the author's approach to life is admirable, she's been able to adapt to a lot of change and maybe she can inspire us to rescue some of the old-times values and make our time period better. I don't think all moms should be stay at home moms or all dads breadwinners, but we could learn to value again the importance of family and simpler joys.
As always your review is creative and compelling and this one's especially heartwarming. Thanks, Sahani.
According to the current situations in the world, stay-at-home mum is an impossible theory at most aspects due to this world economy and family support system. What ever husband earn is not enough any more. So sad! Thank you for pointing that out. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat: Thanks Luna!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”