Official Review: Spirituality in the 21st Century

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Spirituality in the 21st Century

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spirituality in the 21st Century" by Frank P. Daversa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his enlightening book, Spirituality in the 21st Century, Frank P. Daversa explores the topic of spiritual development while providing guidance on how to begin a journey of spiritual self-discovery.

In the book, Daversa investigates and defines the relationship between spiritual enlightenment and various topics. He relates the world of politics and business to spirituality and guides on ways to grow spiritually even in these spheres. At the core of his message is a message of compassion. He instills the need for empathy towards other human beings which leads to the seeking of solutions so as to alleviate human suffering. He proposes that human beings should seek to improve other people’s lives not only their own, which means having a lesser desire for material things. He also explores spiritual development with regard to relationships.

I liked that the author includes bits of his own spiritual journey. His experiences helped me relate to the insight contained in the book. He also quotes from many notable figures such as Nelson Mandela and Helen Keller. I also liked the inclusion of ideologies of outstanding people such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi. Such examples were helpful in explaining the information contained and making it actionable. I also liked that the examples included and the whole book, in general, placed a heavy emphasis on having compassion for others.

However, I did not like that in some parts of the book the opinions of the author are mixed up with those that contain facts. In these instances, it is not made clear why the writer’s perspective is superior to anyone else’s who disagrees with his outlook. Further, the language style adopted in the book mostly focuses on telling rather than showing and letting the reader come to their own conclusion. While reading, I got the impression that I was being told how to view different issues instead of being presented with information supporting a specific point of view and then deciding on my own what to believe.

The book is exceptionally edited and I did not identify any errors. The interior organization is also effectively executed. Each chapter is clearly titled and the chapters contain information that only pertains to the stated topic. Anyone seeking to grow spiritually will benefit from reading Spirituality in the 21st Century by Frank P. Daversa. Readers who are not interested in matters regarding spirituality may not enjoy the book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Spirituality in the 21st Century
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The author's advice for people to desire less material things is interesting. Indeed the world will be a better place if we helped one another. Thanks for a great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it's great that the author discusses some of his or her own spiritual journey. That makes it more relatable. It also sounds like the themes are handled well. Still, I don't think the book is for me. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

I feel that the idea of reflection on how to improve other people's lives, rather than to only focus on our own is excellent and this perspective would make me enjoy the book. However, I also agree with the reviewer in that having someone telling you rather than showing you can be a put off.
Krishna Hari
Currently Reading: brida
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Krishna Hari »

Spirituality is something that is losing its importance in the 21st century and at the same time it's something that should be gaining importance. In this Era of busy schedules no one has time for anything. We tend to nurture ourselves. Going on the path of spirituality helps us in ways science cannot. After reading the review I personally feel one must read the book but also let ourself decide what to take in and what not to. Amazing review 👏
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Krishna Hari wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 02:44 Spirituality is something that is losing its importance in the 21st century and at the same time it's something that should be gaining importance. In this Era of busy schedules no one has time for anything. We tend to nurture ourselves. Going on the path of spirituality helps us in ways science cannot. After reading the review I personally feel one must read the book but also let ourself decide what to take in and what not to. Amazing review 👏
I mostly agree with you. I think there are elements to 21st century society- especially in the West- that make this especially challenging, so I think a book that deals with this topic is very relevant and certainly piqued my interest.

However, I’m not sure if based on the review I will make the time to read this one. (This is not the fault of the reviewer- it’s a good review! :) ) That the author does not do a great job distinguishing between fact and his personally view is a pet peeve for me. And I also have to wonder: what does this book offer that other similar books don’t?

So I’m not 100% sure for myself.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

EmunahAn wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 09:06
However, I did not like that in some parts of the book the opinions of the author are mixed up with those that contain facts. In these instances, it is not made clear why the writer’s perspective is superior to anyone else’s who disagrees with his outlook. Further, the language style adopted in the book mostly focuses on telling rather than showing and letting the reader come to their own conclusion. While reading, I got the impression that I was being told how to view different issues instead of being presented with information supporting a specific point of view and then deciding on my own what to believe.
I couldn't agree more, EmmunahAn. One of the most fundamental problems is that mentors or people who deliver a moral message for the world can't just expose what they experienced and how that specific thing (spirituality in this case) improved their life. They need to become aggressive. Like: "This is the best way!" Well, my answer would be: "For You maybe, not for all. What is best for you doesn't necessary means is best for me!"I hate this kind of approach. Even if spirituality is a theme close to my heart, I don't think I'll read this book. Maybe, the author should remember about the free will. Anyway, informative review! Thank you!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I love the topic of spirituality, so this book sounds right up my alley. On the other hand, the author's approach sounds opposite of what you'd expect in the 21st century. Thanks for your review.
BelleinHouston
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BelleinHouston »

Spirituality in the 21st century
Author Frank Daversa

Yes, thank you for the reviews, most of which I agree. I have read this book more than once, and enjoy Spirituality books. We are all in our search for meaning and peace, on a daily basis in our lives.
This author offers life paths and choices to improve our personal lives. He is candid about his own struggles, including an illness that he will not allow to stop him. Those of us who have endured much pain and suffering seem to grow more spiritually during our lifetime. I consider myself to be a minimalist and a survivor too. We make our own choices to improve or decrease the quality of our lives.
The book is a good read for those of us who really struggle in life.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Bringing empathy to the worlds of business and politics would go a long way to making some change. This sounds like an important book. Thanks for the wonderful introduction.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like the message about compassion and empathy. That one should aspire to help others more than themselves, thus not wanting material things. Thanks for your review.
Dylan921
Favorite Book: The Date Farm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dylan921.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Dylan921 »

Great review, but I’ll pass on this book, not interested in spirituality.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

From your review, I think what I like most about this book is the call to compassion. And, I like that it makes an effort to speak on something which is loosing its prevalence daily. However, I don't like that I'm expected to agree with the author's view point without any cogent reasons stated. That kinda attitude stresses me out.
Nice review.
Live and let live, baby.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Effie Cherotich »

While reading, I got the impression that I was being told how to view different issues instead of being presented with information supporting a specific point of view and then deciding on my own what to believe.
It seems that this book has an objective in making the viewer understand spirituality and the world in a specific way.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”