Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Trust the human dolphins: they enjoy whatever they are doing and don't even bother wondering whether the glass is half full or half empty. They know how to be happy."

If you had to select a creature that most represents your personality, would you choose an ant, chimp, or dolphin? In Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons: 26.2 Loving Thoughts on Why You Should Not Run a Marathon, Sam Brand cleverly contrasts the differing lifestyles of three "human animals." Drawing from amusing caricatures of the human ant, human chimp, and human dolphin, the author playfully pokes fun at his previous lifestyle as a human ant obsessed with running marathons. With a healthy dose of humor, the author encourages readers to "live their best life," while expanding on the benefits of his transformation into a happy and well-rounded human dolphin.

This quick read includes 26 instructional "miles”--brief chapters representing each mile of a marathon. Since most of the 209 pages only contain a paragraph or two, I easily read the book in one sitting. While the author conveys specific thoughts related to running marathons, many of his humorous reflections on healthy active lifestyles and the value of being present in the moment apply to life in general. For example, the author elaborates on the social lives of the three human animals and also contrasts the business practices of the human ant and human dolphin.

I most enjoyed the author's entertaining portrayal of himself as a human ant marathon runner prior to his personal transformation into a happier and healthier human dolphin. "Human ants love to think very highly of themselves, but the perspective from an ant's view is less than an inch from the ground." In my organic Texas garden, destructive ants are the bane of my existence, so the author's depiction of obsessed and overworked human ants struck a chord with me. Readers will relate to the author's comical classifications of people as different animals while they are reminded of friends and family members. For instance, I seem to have several human chimps in my circle; these are people who don't necessarily enjoy sports but do like to encourage others in their endeavors.

The only issue I found with the book is its brevity. I wonder if some readers might be disappointed by 209 pages of only a paragraph or two. Based on the cover's caricatures and its novelty style, readers may also assume the book is illustrated; it isn't, which does leave a lot of blank space. Even so, the author humorously shared the promised 26.2 thoughts, and his short and sweet delivery didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book.

Additionally, the book is exceptionally edited. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The book would make an excellent gift for runners and athletes. However, since much of the content applies to many aspects of life and not just exercise, I also recommend it to readers who appreciate humor and quick reads.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have heard about these personality tests that compare humans to animal traits. Remember the: owl, penguin, duck, eagle, personality test? I can also empathize with the ant problems as we have had fire ants in some places where we have lived. The brevity and humor make this seem attractive for a weekend read. Thanks for the great recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting and unique. I wonder what animal I would most closely compare to. I also think it's interesting that he has chapters that base everything on the miles of a marathon. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 09:59 I have heard about these personality tests that compare humans to animal traits. Remember the: owl, penguin, duck, eagle, personality test? I can also empathize with the ant problems as we have had fire ants in some places where we have lived. The brevity and humor make this seem attractive for a weekend read. Thanks for the great recommendation.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 10:06 This sounds quite interesting and unique. I wonder what animal I would most closely compare to. I also think it's interesting that he has chapters that base everything on the miles of a marathon. Thanks.
It really is. Thanks for your comment.
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

This sounds like a delightful read! The author's take on marathon runners sounds like a comment I recently made to my husband, that people in this world can be divided into marathon-runners and non-marathon-runners (we fall into the latter category, ourselves.) So I suppose we're dolphins? :D Thank you for your honest review.
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout Finch
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ms_Bookworm wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 13:12 This sounds like a delightful read! The author's take on marathon runners sounds like a comment I recently made to my husband, that people in this world can be divided into marathon-runners and non-marathon-runners (we fall into the latter category, ourselves.) So I suppose we're dolphins? :D Thank you for your honest review.
From your comment, it sounds like you would enjoy the book, and yes, you would probably be a dolphin. :)
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I ran the 26.2 mile Chicago marathon in 2008. I am intrigued to see if my mile-by-mile thought process of the daunting task relates to the material the author has presented in this book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 15:21 I ran the 26.2 mile Chicago marathon in 2008. I am intrigued to see if my mile-by-mile thought process of the daunting task relates to the material the author has presented in this book.
Though I exercise daily, I'm not a runner, so I would think it would be especially interesting for runners. Thanks for your comment.
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

Oh, I am really curious to see which one I would identify with most. Just like with silly personality test (as opposed to more serious psichometric ones) I would really want to know the answer, even though I would know it is not an accurate representation. I suspect I would be the ant, assuming that they are portraied as experiencing burnout and some sort of dissatisfaction from working too much in addition to the pride derived from being so active :D . I can already appreciate the author's irony regarding ants' high self esteem contrasted with their narrow perspective. It's a shame the book is not illustrated, I suspect that would have added to the humor. Your review really sparked my curiosity, thank you for it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

While the book is a lot of fun, the author does provide insightful advice. I know what you mean about relating to the ant. I could identify with the author's perspective as someone who is learning to be a dolphin after previously leaning toward ant tendencies. You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Sounds like a cute idea for a self-help book. I'm glad it is actually provides insight to go with the humor. Sounds like a short and sweet book that I would probably enjoy. Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

unamilagra wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 18:35 Sounds like a cute idea for a self-help book. I'm glad it is actually provides insight to go with the humor. Sounds like a short and sweet book that I would probably enjoy. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a fun book. I'll definitely check it out. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 15:44 Sounds like a fun book. I'll definitely check it out. Great review!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”