Review by booklysis -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by booklysis -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by booklysis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastoring is not what you think is a religious book by Elijah Oladimeji.

What do you guys exactly think about pastors? From my investigation, I have discovered that people deem pastors as ignorant, they don't make any sense and that they hide the truth. Though all people do not think like that, around 70% of them do. Pastoring is not what you think is such a book which may lead you to a clear idea about pastors. Those who want to know about pastors and their lives should read it. Someone who is looking to change their thinking about pastors might enjoy this book. Those who do not know about Christianity can try it too.

The book is mainly about the life of Pastor Job. He faces various problems which remain hidden from the outer world. He has to pray for people the entire day. Sometimes, he falls short of money to provide the rent and bills. But he doesn't complain and prays to God. He believes that his faith in God will bring him peace. Sometimes, he has to pray for people he doesn't even know. He prays for people who are poor and in misery. He never wastes money unnecessarily. He holds that God will fulfill his wants.

The author divided the book into 12 chapters. Each chapter teaches us a new lesson. The concepts I mentioned above are just some common concepts. But to learn the ethical teachings presented inside the book, you must read it.

I liked it when Pastor Job prayed for Rodriguez. He didn't even know Rodriguez was whether a genuine person. All he knew was that Rodriguez was in danger and needed his prayers. Lorraine's character was praiseworthy. She was just the perfect example of a typical wife. Conversations between Pastor Job and Lorraine were funny and witty. The author mixed fun, wit, and religion perfectly.

There's nothing I disliked about the book. I noticed only one grammatical error in the book. So, I would say that it was well-edited. Perhaps the one grammatical error went out of the editor's sight. Everything else was interesting. Characters and plot were highly exceptional. I am a Muslim. So, it was my first Christian read. Through this book, I got to know about Christianity and pastors.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The concept and characters were catchy. Every chapter provides us with a new lesson. Except for the one grammatical error, everything else seemed perfect. So, Pastoring is not what you think deserves this rating according to my opinion.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like booklysis's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. The author undertook a noble endeavor to write this book so as to dispell some thoughts that may actaully be misleading. For me, I always live to appreciate my pastors. I need to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I am a muslim too and i was reluctant to pick that book cause i thought i don't know much about Christianity but your review makes it clear that everyone can read it.
Thanks a lot for the review Booklysis☺ i would surely try this one.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
cryptominer94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by cryptominer94 »

Pastoring is not what you think is such a book which may lead you to a clear idea about pastors. Those who want to know about pastors and their lives should read it. Someone who is looking to change their thinking about pastors might enjoy this book. Those who do not know about Christianity can try it too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”