Review by ea_anthony -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles

We’ve been told time and time again, never to judge a book by its cover. This is sound advice as many things do not appear as they seem at first glance. I just had this experience with McDowell. This novel had a lot of buzz around it especially at Onlinebookclub.org (OBC). There were so many threads and conversation, with most centered on the titular character Hiram McDowell. I must admit, I waded in and shared my uninformed and biased opinion, as I was just starting on this read.

On getting into this read, my initial take, was that this novel should have been titled Hiram McDowell. In the opening pages, the character of Hiram McDowell was so pervasive that he seemed to own the book from the very first page. However, a few chapters in, a few connected story-lines begin to appear and Hiram’s own story receded a little. Though the story-line on Hiram McDowell was gripping, the subplots also raised the stakes higher. This made me realise the author was spinning a literary web.

This novel is divided into two parts; part one covers Hiram’s life as a successful surgeon and administrator, father, husband and eventually nominee for Health Secretary up to his fall. Part two covers his Hiram’s life as a fugitive and his attempts to adjust to this new status. It also follows the back story of Paige (a TV reporter on leave of absence), who wants to write a biography of Hiram and her attempts to track him down.

I felt there was a slight problem with this novel because of the large cast of characters, with some not even lasting more than a page. I had to change my mind on this, when a minor character that lasted a few pages in part one did something significant in part two. Even with the character still did not get more than a few interspersed pages in part two. I am forced to agree that Williams H. Coles is indeed a brilliant author and set this novel up properly. There is much to learn about various fields from medicine/surgery to administration; jazz and musical instruments; journalism, photography to publishing. Not forgetting mountain climbing and the outdoors of Nepal and a vast swathe of the USA.

This is a very good book, and it can/should be reread intermittently to appreciate the effort the author put into the crafting of this work. This is a special novel, which should resonate with the avid reader. I recommend this novel to serious book lovers and also those aspiring to be book lovers. I will give this novel a 4 out of 4 stars rating, which it fully deserves. The book is well-edited and contains no noticeable errors. This novel is a must reread.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This book was a hot topic recently. Thanks for sharing your views as well. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Sushan wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 19:28 This book was a hot topic recently. Thanks for sharing your views as well. Thank you 👍👍
Yes, it really was a hot topic, thanks for looking up my review.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

A 4 out of 4 rating book must be very good. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I agree with you that "Williams H. Coles is indeed a brilliant author". Thanks for the review
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author is definitely talented. However, I disliked the character of Hiram so much, as well as the misogynistic attitudes depicted, that I didn't really enjoy the book. But if the author didn't create such a realistic character, that wouldn't have happened, so I guess that's a win for the book.
Thank you for your thorough review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I like the way that you discussed how the book starts with Hiram and moved away from him. It’s one of those things I noticed, too.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I didn't like the book at first glance but as the story developed, i was hooked within. The thing i liked most was that it was written in multiple perspectives.
Thanks a lot for the review Anthony ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I liked that the book was titled McDowell in part because so much of the book dealt with his progeny that it felt in some ways like it included the whole clan. The book actually failed to resonate with me, but I appreciate hearing what worked for you. Thanks for the review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

No, I have not read the book myself. Based on the reviews I have read, I want to have my own opinion of it too. Thank you for the review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We’ve been told time and time again, never to judge a book by its cover.
We all have flaws, but it doesn't mean there isn't any good in each one of us because there is. It's more difficult to look for a redeeming quality, but I think we should.

Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

ea_anthony wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 10:36 [Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
I am forced to agree that Williams H. Coles is indeed a brilliant author and set this novel up properly. There is much to learn about various fields from medicine/surgery to administration; jazz and musical instruments; journalism, photography to publishing. Not forgetting mountain climbing and the outdoors of Nepal and a vast swathe of the USA.
I agree that Coles wrote very well covering many fields of interest. He developed McDowell's character the most, hence the title. The author brings up a lot of controversial issues and then makes the reader seem to even question who we thought McDowell really was a person.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Quite a glowing tribute to the mastery abilities of the author. Thanks for the entertaining read.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Thanks for sharing your review! It was very well done. I am now intrigued to see what this book is all about as it sounds fascinating.
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I'm a bit confused as to what this genre is, it seems to be a bit of everything! It's also chock-full of knowledge, it seems! I liked how you explained the importance of the minor characters, and I'm glad you enjoyed this book, ea_anthony! Thanks for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”