Official Review: BadAss grAttitude by Nikki Nardizzi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: BadAss grAttitude by Nikki Nardizzi

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "BadAss grAttitude" by Nikki Nardizzi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Badass grAttitude: A Memoir of Finding Forgiveness and Strength, Nikki Nardizzi shares how she overcame feelings of negativity and unworthiness. With humor and honesty, Nardizzi sheds light on choosing happiness and gratitude despite facing overwhelming challenges in her life.

Nardizzi grew up in a large Jewish family and describes her childhood as idyllic. Her parents told her she was adopted when she was a young child, but Nardizzi always felt loved and never doubted that she was placed with the right parents. However, when she was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 12, Nardizzi disliked feeling different from her peers. Then, due to complications related to her diabetes, she became legally blind and felt incapable. These feelings intensified after Nardizzi contracted meningitis, mourned the loss of her parents, and required both kidney and pancreas transplants--all by the time she was 41. A few years later, her husband suggested a separation because they were both miserable. When he advised Nardizzi that she should "find happiness," her journey began.

Nardizzi skillfully balances relating the darker times in her life with humorous memories. I most liked her ability to convey a sense of humor through her tell-it-like-it-is writing style. When she describes the helplessness she felt when forced to depend on others due to her blindness and the grief she experienced when her mother died, Nardizzi is brutally honest. Even so, her sense of humor remains despite her pain. Readers will relate to Nardizzi's self-deprecating humor and candor in the midst of adversity. On a lighter note, I found her description of listening to an audiobook of The Secret and her initial reaction quite funny. "With the weird music and the whispery passion, it felt religious, almost cult-like. What's this secret nobody else knows? How come only great people know of it? This lady is bananas."

While Nardizzi did adopt practicing an "attitude of gratitude" that she learned from The Secret, the use of gratitude lists by 12-step programs certainly predates the popular book, as does 1 Thessalonians 5:13, "In everything give thanks." I appreciate that Nardizzi stresses, "Not everything is for everyone." One doesn't necessarily need to agree with all of the teachings from The Secret to gain insight from Badass grAttitude.

The only thing I dislike is Nardizzi's graphic descriptions of painful medical procedures. The excruciating details are difficult to read and at times, border on gross. While I appreciate Nardizzi's desire to honestly share her experiences, less is more when it comes to relating information involving proctologists.

Unfortunately, due to the number of punctuation errors present, I'm unable to give the book a perfect rating. Many sentences were missing periods. Therefore, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate inspirational memoirs with a touch of dark humor. The book is intended for a mature audience as it contains R-rated profanity.

BadAss grAttitude
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The plot seems intriguing: though it contains touching events, it also holds humor. Nice review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nardizzi is an example of the triumph of the human spirit. Her experience shows that attitude is really just a choice. She has gone through enough in her own life to prove it. I liked the creative title. Thanks for your compelling review of this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rose Harebate wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 10:03 The plot seems intriguing: though it contains touching events, it also holds humor. Nice review!
Thank you, Rose.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 10:09 Nardizzi is an example of the triumph of the human spirit. Her experience shows that attitude is really just a choice. She has gone through enough in her own life to prove it. I liked the creative title. Thanks for your compelling review of this book.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

It sounds like Nardizzi is a girl after my own heart. I too am always a cup-half-full type of person. Overcoming so much, she is an inspiration. Thanks for the great and insightful review. I will put it on my list to read.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

linham02660 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 14:05 It sounds like Nardizzi is a girl after my own heart. I too am always a cup-half-full type of person. Overcoming so much, she is an inspiration. Thanks for the great and insightful review. I will put it on my list to read.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Wow, it seems like this poor woman really had it rough! Good for her to come out the end of it with a smile on her face. This had me truly giggling: "With the weird music and the whispery passion, it felt religious, almost cult-like. What's this secret nobody else knows? How come only great people know of it? This lady is bananas."
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

Nardizzi sounds like she had a very hard life. Gratitude surely must be hard for her; however, she not only practices it but has a sense of humor, too! This is a memoir I would like to add to my reading list.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oh my gosh, these are some incredibly challenging health problems she has had to go through. Sounds like a really unique perspective she's able to offer. Thanks for this review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 14:50 Wow, it seems like this poor woman really had it rough! Good for her to come out the end of it with a smile on her face. This had me truly giggling: "With the weird music and the whispery passion, it felt religious, almost cult-like. What's this secret nobody else knows? How come only great people know of it? This lady is bananas."
Great review :)
Thanks Bianka.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

PGreen wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 15:12 Nardizzi sounds like she had a very hard life. Gratitude surely must be hard for her; however, she not only practices it but has a sense of humor, too! This is a memoir I would like to add to my reading list.
Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 15:59 Oh my gosh, these are some incredibly challenging health problems she has had to go through. Sounds like a really unique perspective she's able to offer. Thanks for this review.
Thanks for your comment, Belle.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

Nardizzi is one tough woman. To survive in all the ordeal she went through is really commendable. She is a true inspiration.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 22:27 Nardizzi is one tough woman. To survive in all the ordeal she went through is really commendable. She is a true inspiration.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”