Official Review: Imagining the Unimaginable by Richard Rowe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Imagining the Unimaginable by Richard Rowe

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Imagining the Unimaginable" by Richard Rowe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard Rowe is an inventor who always thinks of things from an engineer's perspective. However, in 2004, a blood clot almost cost him his life. Rowe's near-death experience did not cause him to change his way of thinking, but it did make him think of questions that had no clear answers, such as: What happens after we die? Is there an afterlife? Why is there so much suffering in the world? Why do bad things happen to good people? In his book Imagining the Unimaginable, he uses years of system engineering experience and research from first-hand accounts and experts in near-death experiences (NDEs) to come up with possible answers to his own questions. A large part of the book focuses on what happens to souls after death and why NDEs occur, as well as what the visions seen by those who experience NDEs could possible mean.

Rowe is very honest with the reader, admitting right off the bat that he in not an expert in the subject at hand and that he does not have all the answers. He is thorough in explaining where he got his research anecdotes and, when he comes to a possible conclusion, he reminds readers that it is only an idea with no substantial evidence behind it. He tried his hardest to keep his own experiments from being swayed by outside influences, but admitted that there's only so much you can do with firsthand experiences.

Overall, Rowe's down-to-earth attitude toward the subject and conversational writing style made the book a very pleasant read, even though the subject matter could have easily gone right over my head. I personally really liked the fact that Rowe did not try to slap a specific answer onto his questions and call them done. Everything in his book is simply a suggestion, one possible answer out of many, but given to provide food for thought. I found myself agreeing with many of his points and, although there is no way to prove them, quite a few seemed plausible to me. I was especially intrigued by the topic of children's souls and how they retain memories of their time before birth.

I found less than ten mistakes in the book, although for some reason the spacing was wonky with some of the words. Sometimes there would be extra spaces in words, such as with 'past- life regression." However, when I highlighted the word and made a note, the spacing was fine in the note itself. I'm not sure what the problem was there. My biggest concern was that a good chunk of the book consisted of direct quotes from Rowe's research. At times I had flashbacks to the research papers I used to write in college. However, it was easy to get used to and did not affect my enjoyment of the book.

Imagining the Unimaginable is a great "What if?" book that makes readers question not just what will happen after their death, but the very lives they are living at the moment. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and would highly recommend it to readers interested in psychology, philosophy, and short reads that introduce new ideas. Despite Rowe mentioning things such as fourth dimensions and other technical terms, it is not a difficult read. Like Rowe, I hope that many people can read this book and question themselves and how they can become better souls.

Imagining the Unimaginable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

Thank you for the review, it was a pleasant read. I appreciate you commenting on the value of Rowe's attitude towards answering esential questions such as the ones posed in the book. I would really love to have the strenght to admit that there may be things which exceed the limits of my understanding. I suppose I would really benefit from reading this book. :)
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The questions you mentioned from Rowe are, if not exactly the same, very similar to ones I ask almost everyday. It seems like a book worth reading. Thank you for the insightful and thoughtful review. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a fascinating read - to try using science to explain the abstract. The direct quotes might be slightly jarring, but like you, it definitely reminds me of my college days! Thanks for the lovely review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A near death experience will absolutely make you question everything. I'm curious to see what he comes up with, though I don't think I'm in the mood for this book at the moment. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The question I want to know it's answer the most is, "why do bad things happen to good people?" Probably the author's answer will help me understand a lot of things. Thanks for a nice review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author touches on a subject that, at some time, will affect every human being. The ideas he touches on will make people reflect on some difficult topics. I think this book would appeal to many different kinds of readers. Thanks for your informative review.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

I have always been curious about where we go when we die. Maybe this book will give me a clue.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

This sounds like a fascinating topic. I’m glad that he was able to write in such a way that made it easy to understand.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I share the same questiins with the author. I think this book is very intriguing and worth spending time. Thanks for a wonderful review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

The inspired title is playful, and the author's straightforward honesty is admirable. Death remains a controversial topic, and I do not think it's too much to see other points of possible view. Rowe shows his own answers and what I like most is that he indicates the fact that is a reasonable suggestion only. Thanks! Your review helped me decide that this book is worth reading.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This really sounds interesting. The only glimpse we have into what is beyond is the stories of those who touched the veil. Thanks for a great introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”