Official Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legacy" by Sean T. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love it when a book starts by telling the stories of various people. Then slowly, intricately, it starts to link the characters together as the roads of their journeys converge. Legacy begins with a nuclear explosion in a subterranean bunker in the Mojave Desert. The electromagnetic pulse of the explosion has far-reaching effects – further than usual. At the time of the explosion, JW Duarte is flying his jet over the Mojave Desert when his electronics go dead, and he falls to his imminent doom. He wakes up to meet David – an overly polite alien who is regrowing JW’s arm and leg in his spaceship. A little farther out, Jessica and Bryce are having a well-deserved break from college. They have decided to spend the night in Las Vegas when all the lights go out. Farther out on the continent, Director Bustos awakens in Washington D.C. to the sound of his cell phone ringing. After being informed of the nuclear event, he is collected by Major Lucas, ex-navy seal and new glorified driver for the Director. Finally, and farthest away, Rick and Sarah are on Luna Base Alpha (the Moon) when something goes horribly awry.

As we delve into each character and their backgrounds, their importance to the story becomes more evident. Will this ragtag bunch of people be able to rally in order to prevent another nuclear disaster? And, ultimately, will they be able to save the world? Also, and most obviously, why is there an alien?

This book was such fun to read. The characters were all so well developed that it was easy to sympathise with them. The ease of the dialogue, the elaborate characters, and the fast-paced story all made this a truly enjoyable read. I have difficulty enjoying books when I can’t picture the interchanges between characters. The conversations between the people in this book were flawless. This made the characters relevant, and I felt engaged in all of their lives. The author, Sean T. Smith, also threw a healthy dose of humour into the dialogue, which I loved. A good example of this was an altercation between Bryce and a crazy assassin.
“First, I am going to stab out one of your eyeballs and make you eat it.”
“I’m really not hungry,” he mumbled.
This could be quite dark, if not for the lighthearted, amusing response.

Because this was such an entertaining story, I was a bit disappointed that the ending was so sudden. The entire book led up to one moment, and I don’t feel like the author did the ending justice. It just felt rushed. However, that didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of the book. It’s entirely possible that I was just sad that the book was finished.

Unfortunately, the editing prevents me from giving Legacy more than 3 out of 4 stars. There were errors, but not so many that they detracted from my reading enjoyment. This is an easy fix for the author, and I hope he addresses it. This is a book for all sci-fi lovers. I would also recommend it to people seeking alternate origin stories for mankind. I have not seen any indication of a sequel, but it would be something that I would look forward to reading. Hint, hint, Mr. Smith.

Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This does sound entertaining with the different stories coming together. Also, that comment about alternate origin stories about mankind is quite intriguing. Interesting! Thanks for your fascinating review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love when there are these characters which are seemingly disconnected, but they are all brought together eventually. Plus, the fact that the author inserts lighthearted moments into an otherwise dark book definitely makes me think this is one I should read. Great review. I'll have to look it up despite the grammatical errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 05:19 This does sound entertaining with the different stories coming together. Also, that comment about alternate origin stories about mankind is quite intriguing. Interesting! Thanks for your fascinating review.
Thank you so much for reading it! I had fun writing this one 🙂
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 08:43 Wow! I love when there are these characters which are seemingly disconnected, but they are all brought together eventually. Plus, the fact that the author inserts lighthearted moments into an otherwise dark book definitely makes me think this is one I should read. Great review. I'll have to look it up despite the grammatical errors.
I feel like you’ll really enjoy this one 🙂 let me know what you think if you do decide to read it.
Thank you, as always, for your awesome comments!
- Dr. Seuss
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I completely agree with you, stories that link characters as you delve deeper into the story is an absolute delight, and the dark humour is just an added bonus! A great review and lots to learn from!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Learning how the explosion impacts the population on various levels would be very interesting. I always appreciate well-developed characters and find the example of the humorous dialogue in your review hilarious! Unfortunately, I am bummed to read of another rushed ending to an otherwise phenomenal book. It seems so many novels end abruptly.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I love it when a book starts by telling the stories of various people. Then slowly, intricately, it starts to link the characters together as the roads of their journeys converge.
I love this too! This sounds like such a fun read with great characters and great character interaction. I'm sorry to hear that the ending didn't do the lead-up justice. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Ooh, this sounds like a fun plot line. I also love when authors are able to weave seemingly unrelated characters together during the story. I hope to check this one out soon!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This sounds like something I would enjoy, dark and light sides and all. I have eaten some eyes myself! :o

Too bad that the editing stole one star away. I hope Mr. Smith smooths it out.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by linham02660 »

The books with alternate explanations of the origins of mankind. It is also interesting when things that seemingly have no connection end up related. Thanks for the great review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

labibliofile wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 13:01 I completely agree with you, stories that link characters as you delve deeper into the story is an absolute delight, and the dark humour is just an added bonus! A great review and lots to learn from!
Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 13:07 Learning how the explosion impacts the population on various levels would be very interesting. I always appreciate well-developed characters and find the example of the humorous dialogue in your review hilarious! Unfortunately, I am bummed to read of another rushed ending to an otherwise phenomenal book. It seems so many novels end abruptly.
I must say, I did have a chuckle at the eyeball comment. There were a few underhanded and hilarious quips. Lots of fun.
Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 14:01
I love it when a book starts by telling the stories of various people. Then slowly, intricately, it starts to link the characters together as the roads of their journeys converge.
I love this too! This sounds like such a fun read with great characters and great character interaction. I'm sorry to hear that the ending didn't do the lead-up justice. Thanks for the review!
Thanks so much for commenting! The characters were awesome. I even left a few out of my summary. If you can actually believe that. :shock:
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

unamilagra wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 17:14 Ooh, this sounds like a fun plot line. I also love when authors are able to weave seemingly unrelated characters together during the story. I hope to check this one out soon!
He did it so well too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
I hope you enjoy it if you do decide to read it :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”