Review by Taylor Danvers -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Taylor Danvers -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Taylor Danvers »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a well-plotted story about survival, hope, and love. It is a stand-alone sequel to Strong Heart, a best seller. Charlie Sheldon has wowed his readers once again with yet another story of hope.

Captain Steve and his crew are aboard a container ship when he wakes up to the smoke alarms blaring. They start their drills and try hard to put out the fire, but things don’t go their way. They are forced to abandon their ship and use lifeboats in the bad weather. They are one hundred miles away from land, and they can only hope that rescue vessels are on their way.

Meanwhile, Louise and Larry, who are going through financial and marital problems, set out to find the abandoned ship. They get a crew together, and they embark on a mission to claim the ship before their competition does. The only problem is that their competition has speedboats while they have an old tug boat that is not as fast as the speedboats. Winning the claim saves their company while losing it means bankruptcy. Losing means their company will fall. Myra, a girl whose father William is adrift at sea, also gets a crew of her own to save him.

What I like most about the book is the flow and writing style of the author. Charlie describes the scenes graphically. When the author describes leaving a burning ship on a lifeboat, he makes you feel the intensity of the situation. He makes you feel the despair of different crews as they fight for survival. Some scenes ended up being too emotional for me to take in all at once. I also learned a lot about survival at sea. Did you know that when you’re on a lifeboat in bad weather, you have to crap on your survival suit?

What I liked least about the book was the plethora of characters. Most of them were introduced at the same time which made the book confusing to read. The marine vocabulary used although necessary was confusing, and it became a distraction when I had to stop reading and google the meanings of certain words.

It seems the author has a lot of experience at sea. If he hasn't been part of a crew, he has done his research well.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s well edited, and I didn’t find any grammatical errors. Adrift is a very well scripted story that is worth the reader’s time. It was a great adventure, and I loved it. Anyone looking to find adventure and thrill in a story will love Adrift.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Taylor Danvers's review? Post a comment saying so!
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Despite your high rating, I will probably pass on this one--at least for now. It's good to know that even the negatives don't take away from the enjoyment. Thanks for reviewing!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Did you know that when you’re on a lifeboat in bad weather, you have to crap on your survival suit?
Lol, I did not know this! I like the way you describe the intensity and suspense of this book, as well as the "flow of the writing style". I like that sort of thing even if I am not much of an adventure reader. Thanks for your review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It seems to be a beautiful story of hope, love, and survival. I have read its prequel "Strong Heart". It was wonderful, and this one sounds interesting too. I have added this in my reading list. Thanks for this interesting review. :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Novels about sea often seem boring to me but i adore graphic details and emotional read. Thanks a lot for the review Taylor☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Truth be told, you're lucky, just for reading Charlie Sheldon. I believe it when you say you felt some type of way throughout; the twists and turns. Just as Charlie is good at writing, so are you at review - at least based on Adrift review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This is different from what I usually read. But with your description of the writing style, and your enjoyment of the story despite its problems, I'll consider reading it.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I agree with you about the vocabulary being very technical. I had to look up their definitions as well, and there were a lot of them. Still, it was a captivating book. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Feyisayo akande
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Feyisayo akande »

On looking at the name of the book, I think it will not be interesting but with this review ✔✔hoping to read it. Thanks for the review Taylor
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Feyisayo akande wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 08:27 On looking at the name of the book, I think it will not be interesting but with this review ✔✔hoping to read it. Thanks for the review Taylor
Hmmm...✔✔✔ Good review
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”