Review by skindrukas -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Review by skindrukas -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by skindrukas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a funny story for children from 4 to 7 years old. A small boy Siegfried is trying to find out what's stinking so bad about the book. Every page of it reveals a new answer to the question: where could the bad smell possibly come from? The book invites us for a journey to a bizarre and funny world of all kinds of unpleasant smells that got stuck to the pages of the book. We also come to know Sigfried’s family: his brother, his sister, and his uncle; and the pet – a dog. They all have added some bad smells to the book. But there is something else that really stinks. What might that be? Throughout all 27 pages we are following Sigfried’s “investigation” until he finally finds the source.

Not too many words and the rhyme makes reading fun and catchy for kids. A colorful and funny picture on each page captures attention and adds even more fun reading it. It’s either a playful drawing made by the author or a gross realistic photo of food with splashed ketchup left on the book pages. I could easily imagine a parent reading it for his child, laughing and eww-ing together in all the appropriate moments.

There are many things I like about the book – vivid colors, funny pictures and shocking photos, interactive and captivating story, and skillfully used font paint matching the thing it speaks about. I even like the disputable fact that Sigfried’s uncle (an adult!) did something gross and smelly to the book. Especially I enjoy the end of the book, which seems quite unpredictable.

I could only make a remark about the font paint color that isn‘t very accurate sometimes. For example, the words “orange” or”blue” are written in red and purple while the words “green” and “red” are written in correct font color. Kids easily notice this kind of “mistake”. But that is probably just a print issue and might be improved. On the other hand, the book is exceptionally well edited. I rate it 4 out of 4.

In the right hands, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley might be a wonderful tool to teach kids important things like how to take care of books or personal hygiene. Even though the book is for children, adults might also have fun reading it – I surely did. In my opinion, the book might not be suitable for those who are sensitive to unpleasant smells and pictures of bad food. Other than that, the book would surely satisfy many small ladies and gentlemen that are about to learn to be clean and tidy.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like skindrukas's review? Post a comment saying so!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

This is such a great review! The book sounds great for kids as it involves all five senses - something that is often important to engage young readers! Also, you are right, about the printing error, kids would either notice the mistake or start presuming that the colour orange is actually called red!
"Growth is the essence of life."
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Thank you for reading my review! About the colors - it would have really mattered to me when I was small. The same color written in different words would he been suspicious. Or, if I didn't know how to read myself, would have made the all mighty parent not so trustworthy, questionable :lol:
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I liked the surprise ending too, I particularly liked the page that had to be hosed down.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Helen_Combe wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 10:10 Great review. I liked the surprise ending too, I particularly liked the page that had to be hosed down.
Which one was it? I read the PDF version...
Thanks for stepping by!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have read this book some time back and couldn't agree more on your opinion. Thank you for your valuable opinion! It's refreshing to see another reader enjoy the same book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 10:40 I have read this book some time back and couldn't agree more on your opinion. Thank you for your valuable opinion! It's refreshing to see another reader enjoy the same book.
I've read few other reviews about this book. It seems that people either like the gross food pictures in it or not. Several reviewers expressed that dog's pee to be something that shouldn't be mentioned in a book for kids. I found all the charmingly adorable! If only they knew what kids talk about when adults aren't around! :lol:
Thanks for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's amazing how this book never fails to impress its readers despite the usual connotations and denotations from its title, cover, and theme. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Espie wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 10:52 It's amazing how this book never fails to impress its readers despite the usual connotations and denotations from its title, cover, and theme. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you for stepping by, Espie!
Yes, I agree with those impressed readers. Despite the topic and potential disgust the book is great for kids, in my opinion. It points out what is wrong in a funny way, the way kids understand and accept without questioning it.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Hmm I think I know a toddler who could learn some valuable lessons from this book!!! Its amazing how one book can span different age groups! Thanks for the review :)
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Firefawkes wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 15:43 Hmm I think I know a toddler who could learn some valuable lessons from this book!!! Its amazing how one book can span different age groups! Thanks for the review :)
Good luck with the toddler! :wink: Thanks for stepping by and commenting on my review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

skindrukas wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 14:45 Thank you for reading my review! About the colors - it would have really mattered to me when I was small. The same color written in different words would he been suspicious. Or, if I didn't know how to read myself, would have made the all mighty parent not so trustworthy, questionable :lol:
Indeed! And kids at the age this book is targeted toward may still be learning their colors- so it’s best not to confuse them!

This review is great, thank you for sharing it. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 18:14
skindrukas wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 14:45 Thank you for reading my review! About the colors - it would have really mattered to me when I was small. The same color written in different words would he been suspicious. Or, if I didn't know how to read myself, would have made the all mighty parent not so trustworthy, questionable :lol:
Indeed! And kids at the age this book is targeted toward may still be learning their colors- so it’s best not to confuse them!

This review is great, thank you for sharing it. :)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am glad you mention the color discrepancy. As this is geared toward very young readers, that can be extremely confusing!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I think it may confuse kids still learning different colors when some colors match their names, while others do not. Great observation. The book sounds interesting though.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”