Review by briellejee -- The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The World of Ato" by Patrick Borosky.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This world is not the only one; at least that is what Patrick Borosky's The World of Ato would want you to believe. This book offers you a lot more than adventure and magic: it gives you a whole new world you may never want to leave, a world with interesting characters and—wait for it—a dragon!

Ato, a young girl who lives alone on a hill in the far end of the Crimson Kingdom, pours her heart and soul into her blank canvases. She stays in her studio most of the time, painting and sketching, not noticing the hours of the day. However, on this particular day, she abandons her little comfort zone and goes to the Azure Ruins to go on an adventure with her best friend, Reed. As they both explore the famous ruins, a powerful feeling suddenly overwhelms Ato. Before she knows it, she wakes up alone and cold in a dark cave. She then strays deeper into the cavern—only to discover another temple with magnificent murals. What Ato fails to realize is that the closer she gets to the heart of the temple, the farther she moves away from the life and the only world she had ever known.

First of all, this book is a bit fast-paced. The author knows when to take his time describing one scene and when to not go into full details. The plot was ever-changing with the surprising twists and turns. Also, every chapter is a page-turner; the ending of each one pulls all the strings of a reader's curiosity. Moreover, the dialogues are noteworthy: some were humorous and light-hearted, others were heartbreaking. Boredom has no room in these pages, the excitement and anticipation never dull out.

There were two aspects I liked in the book: the characters and the descriptive style. First off, the characters were well-developed and well-written. Their personalities were diverse and relatable. They have their own stories to tell, which made them more interesting individually. The character development was also superb. Furthermore, since most of the characters were children and young teens, their thoughts and the way they speak reflected their age—which was a good thing because it made them genuine and convincing.

Moreover, the descriptions in the book were incredible. They were vivid and intense, but not overpowering. Some books tend to describe every little detail to the point that it overwhelms the reader; however, the descriptions in this one were easy to follow. The magic effects in this book were also fascinating: you can easily picture out the scenes when they use it. The author's writing style in illustrating each scene is artistic and poetic, in such a way you could almost feel you are inside the world he had created. Also, the author used words like "accouraging": an obsolete form of the word "encouraging". It is a word used back in the 15th century, which was fitting considering that the setting was when knights and dragons were around.

The errors were little to none. Some of which were missing conjunctions and commas. Others were grammatical errors like using "was" instead of "were". However, these errors weren't too many to distract the reader and to affect the quality of the book.

I couldn't find anything that I disliked about The World of Ato. The only time I felt disappointed was when I was nearing its end. There were two reasons why: one, I didn't want it to end; and second, the villain didn't have enough exposure. However, that feeling was then replaced with eagerness as the story ended with a cliff-hanger—which was the perfect finish to the first book of the series. I think every reader will scream in anticipation and excitement upon reaching the last page. With that said, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Artists, especially painters, would find this story relatable and inspiring. The creativity of this masterpiece would attract every reader out there in all ages, especially fans of fantasy and adventure. I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like stories with magic and children as main characters; also to those who don't like stories with only a few action scenes.

Lastly, I give you one of my favorite lines in the book:

"Art was the expression of the artist's soul left bare for all to see—the single untarnished reflection of the world in the artist's eyes that no one could ever see otherwise."

The World of Ato
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Wow, I just wanted to read one of your reviews out of pure curiosity, and wow! Your writing style is amazing, the word choice, the phrases. I loved how you summarized the story, and how you pointed out that the reader can easily imagine, almost enter, the created world. What a great review! Makes me realize I have sooooo much to learn!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 23:57 Wow, I just wanted to read one of your reviews out of pure curiosity, and wow! Your writing style is amazing, the word choice, the phrases. I loved how you summarized the story, and how you pointed out that the reader can easily imagine, almost enter, the created world. What a great review! Makes me realize I have sooooo much to learn!
Thanks for checking my review out! Also, those are really kind words about my writing style. I am still learning though. I think this book is available to be reviewed, although only for free; I do recommend it because it really was breath-taking! Thank you again! Your comment is really appreciated and I am grateful for the words! :tiphat:
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I found this review to be as charming as the book seems. Thank you for including the quote at the end, as well as for the detailed way you described how this book made its world come to life.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 17:54 I found this review to be as charming as the book seems. Thank you for including the quote at the end, as well as for the detailed way you described how this book made its world come to life.
Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat: It's somewhat a sign or a mark of mine to leave my favorite lines from the book. Putting them right below might interest the readers of the review to check out the book. Though I limit it to books I really liked. :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, the book sounds intriguing and interesting. Your review really brings it to life. Accouraging would have lost me but a good thing you explained. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Cotwani wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 04:51 Wow, the book sounds intriguing and interesting. Your review really brings it to life. Accouraging would have lost me but a good thing you explained. Great review!
It is! It's only 99 cents on Amazon! I'm also excited for the second book. I hope you'll consider reading it! I didn't know about it too, I marked the word as an error while reading because the dictionary doesn't have it. So I looked it up the internet to see if it's another obsolete word, turns out it is! I love books having these obsolete words just to match their timeline. :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by! :tiphat:
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Your review is amazing and paints this book in a wonderful light! It sounds like a beautifully done and artistic fairy tale and I really hope to read it sometime soon!! :)
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I love good characters and good descriptions! It sounds like this author has built a fantastic world that I would love to experience. Thanks for the wonderful review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Firefawkes wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 15:58 Your review is amazing and paints this book in a wonderful light! It sounds like a beautifully done and artistic fairy tale and I really hope to read it sometime soon!! :)
Thanks for these nice words, I really appreciate it! I was able to write a good review because I really liked the book. I hope you'll read it! It is such a wonderful masterpiece! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 18:15 I love good characters and good descriptions! It sounds like this author has built a fantastic world that I would love to experience. Thanks for the wonderful review!
He has! I would recommend this to anyone I meet. Though it may not be in the same category as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, it is still a wonderful world in its own way. I really do hope you'll read it! It's only 99 cents on Amazon and free to be reviewed here in OBC. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

M fantasy freak and lookinh for a good fantasy book and i think i have found it. Sounds really great i would love to read it. Hope it's the book i review next.
Thanks a lot for comprehensive review Briellejee☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Well, I love fantasy and vivid descriptions, so I'll definitely be reading this one. Great review!
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

I loved your review - it gave so much without giving out too much! I'm most disappointed when a fantasy writer either under describes scenes or spends too much describing it that the pacing becomes too slow. Your review sheds light on this aspect and it was quite helpful.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Zimall wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 23:30 M fantasy freak and lookinh for a good fantasy book and i think i have found it. Sounds really great i would love to read it. Hope it's the book i review next.
Thanks a lot for comprehensive review Briellejee☺
It's great and wonderful. Hope you'll read it, and if you do, don't hesitate to message me or tag me in your review so we could talk more about it! :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”