Official Review: Issac Montgomery for the Love of Beth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Issac Montgomery for the Love of Beth

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Issac Montgomery for the Love of Beth" by Steven Anthony Bartlett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the Love of Beth by Steven Anthony Bartlett is listed under the genre of C/T/M/H. It is a thrilling story of love and mystery, deception and hope. It takes place in London and Scotland.

Isaac Montgomery worked as a stockbroker, making money hand-over-fist and spending it just as fast. Wealth afforded him many privileges, but it couldn’t satisfy the emptiness he felt in his heart. He watched as his friends married loving spouses and purchased homes, and he felt a strange pining in his heart. He realized that his desire for a family was stronger than his love for money. He left his job in London and moved to Scotland.

Isaac was on a journey to discover his true self. He acquired a small apartment and a job in a bar. One day, his heart stopped when a beautiful girl stood before him. Beth had a tragic past, and Isaac worked hard to woo her and win her heart. Shortly after beginning to date Beth, Isaac learned that his mother was dying. He returned to London and held her hand as she revealed an unthinkable secret about Isaac’s past. How will this astonishing confession affect his future? Will it hinder his relationship with Beth? Is someone stalking him?

For the Love of Beth is the first book of the Isaac Montgomery series. I loved the story line of this book and appreciated the limited number of characters. The character development of both Isaac and Beth is another strong point of the book. In the beginning, Isaac is a young man immersed in the fast life of easy money. A change of attitude motivates him to achieve higher values. Beth also developed from a woman lost in hurt and self-pity into an outgoing and optimistic person. It was enjoyable and refreshing to see these characters emerge with an entirely new perspective on life that focused more on others than on self.

I didn’t like the numerous grammar errors I noted in the book. Misspelled words, name changes, and incorrect verb tense changes appear throughout the entire text. Sentences like, “He decided to tell that that he is overwhelmed,” and “you has turned me,” slowed down the reading pace.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Had it not been for the numerous grammatical errors, I would have been happy to award this book a four. Isaac’s change of perspective, his beautiful romance with Beth, and the mystery from his past intertwined to create an exciting and intriguing story. The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and that might frustrate readers who prefer tidy endings. Fans of mystery, romance, and adventure will be happy to add this book to their shelves. In spite of the grammar errors, I am anxious to read the rest of the series.

Issac Montgomery for the Love of Beth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like Isaac is just trying to discover what he wants out of life when life interferes again. I'm curious how things turn out for him and Beth. Thanks for a great review. It's just too bad about the errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 08:55 It sounds like Isaac is just trying to discover what he wants out of life when life interferes again. I'm curious how things turn out for him and Beth. Thanks for a great review. It's just too bad about the errors.
I fell in love with this story line. The positive changes in Isaac's life were truly moving. The story was still excellent - in spite of the errors. Thanks for your motivating comments. They are much appreciated.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

This looks like a typical love story however I am very much intrigued with the secret Isaac has to uncover, sadly the grammatical errors seem severe in this book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

nonamer_miss wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 10:29 This looks like a typical love story however I am very much intrigued with the secret Isaac has to uncover, sadly the grammatical errors seem severe in this book.
I thought this would be a typical love story, but the author gives it a different twist when Isaac goes back home to see his dying mother. The errors were a letdown. Nevertheless, I am planning to read the rest of the trilogy. The story really moved me. Thanks for stopping by.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 10:47
nonamer_miss wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 10:29 This looks like a typical love story however I am very much intrigued with the secret Isaac has to uncover, sadly the grammatical errors seem severe in this book.
I thought this would be a typical love story, but the author gives it a different twist when Isaac goes back home to see his dying mother. The errors were a letdown. Nevertheless, I am planning to read the rest of the trilogy. The story really moved me. Thanks for stopping by.
It seems the plot is strong enough to override easily fixed errors. I would choose a great story with a few errors over a perfectly edited yet mediocre novel any day. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jessacardinal wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 15:21
kdstrack wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 10:47
It seems the plot is strong enough to override easily fixed errors. I would choose a great story with a few errors over a perfectly edited yet mediocre novel any day. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review!
That was my reaction to this book. The story moved me to deeply that I wanted to keep reading, in spite of the errors. Hope you will enjoy it too. Thanks for your kind words.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review has really piqued my interest. I agree--I can overlook errors if the story is strong enough.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 21:21 Your review has really piqued my interest. I agree--I can overlook errors if the story is strong enough.
Usually the errors turn me the other way. This time the story line moved me so powerfully that I wanted to keep reading. I even want to read the rest of the series! Hope you will feel the same way. Thanks for commenting.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

While I am a little cuious about the secret about Isaac, this seems like more of a romance, which is not a genre I like to read, so I'll pass. Great review, though!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 02:32 While I am a little cuious about the secret about Isaac, this seems like more of a romance, which is not a genre I like to read, so I'll pass. Great review, though!
There is romance but also mostly mystery. Isaac receives a mind-blowing piece of information from his dying mother that changes his entire mindset. I really enjoyed this author. Thanks for stopping by.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

The blend of romance and suspense seems very interesting here! I can't quite tell if I would like it, especially because I can be picky with protagonists who undergo life changes as well as fictional romantic relationships, but I am intrigued....
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 21:12 The blend of romance and suspense seems very interesting here! I can't quite tell if I would like it, especially because I can be picky with protagonists who undergo life changes as well as fictional romantic relationships, but I am intrigued....
I hope you will give it a try. I became very intrigued with the story line. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”