Official Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset, written by Ace Bowers, is a short memoir that details the author's tumultuous life beginning when he was a child raised in a home by alcoholic parents. He spent much of his younger years feeling inferior as poverty prevailed due to the household budget being mismanaged. Much of the income from his father's employment was spent on purchasing cigarettes and liquor while his mom did not have a job outside of the home. His embarrassment about his living conditions often hindered him from inviting friends over. His mom would begin an argument with his dad nearly every night as they got drunk. These altercations escalated fast as voices were raised and household items were thrown.

In addition to making excuses for not allowing people over, he grew up highly self-conscious regarding the lack of needed material possessions. While others had new supplies for school, he had to get by with what was handed down to him from an older sibling. He tried his best to cover his feelings of inadequacy, but suppressing all of these emotions led to a depressed young man at the age of eighteen. When many of his classmates went off to college, he was living at home unemployed, racking up debt and ruining his credit score by buying items that he had no way to afford.

I liked how this book was written in short chapters as it followed the chronology of the author from the pit of despair to how he achieved great financial success. This material does not contain any steps on how to get rich quick, but rather, it is simplistic in its presentation making it seem that anyone can wake up to their highest potential at any time and overcome the adversities of life. The writing is straightforward with no motives to sell the audience anything. Readers will come to understand that having motivation can lead to perseverance, and the shifting of one's outlook can go a long way to opening doors that were never imagined. This book teaches that when something appears to be bad news, it could be the catalyst that is required to ignite change and set a new course for a better way of living.

I did not find anything I did not like about this book. If a reader is on the hunt for a quick dose of inspiration, then this is the one for you. Because the writing revolves around the author's late teens and twenties, young adults might find this book appealing. More mature readers may also find enlightenment in its 92 pages which contain profound wisdom. For those who don't like memoirs or books that don't give direct instructions and checklists to achieving goals, then you might want to bypass this one. However, a good piece of advice is that if you wish to obtain a higher standard of living, you might want to invest a small bit of your time in learning how he got from point A to B.

I am awarding this a 4 out of 4 stars for its high-quality writing and valuable lesson sharing. I only found two small errors that can be easily fixed, and this book has great potential to help those who may be struggling with the same issues that the author has overcome. By the end of the book, I found myself thinking that this is only the beginning for this writer. He has so much experience to share in the world of finances, family dysfunction and healing from emotional wounds of the past.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author had quite a bit to overcome. I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a memoir, but I admire the author for rising above the poverty and conditions in which he started his life. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Our parents can have great influence on our self esteem and world view. But people can grow and change. I like how the author didn't wallow in self pity and blame his situation on others. His story is a powerful motivation to everyone. I like the title. Thanks for your insightful review with that touch of mystery!!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The challenges the author went through when he was younger shaped him to become a great man he is today. I will take this book as an inspiring read for people who find it hard to get through in life. Awesome review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

cpru68 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 14:30 This book teaches that when something appears to be bad news, it could be the catalyst that is required to ignite change and set a new course for a better way of living.
This reminds me of a quote I saw this morning."When you replace “why is this happening to me” with “what is this trying to teach me?”, everything shifts." I appreciate the realistic approach this book takes toward creating a better life.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 08:27 It sounds like the author had quite a bit to overcome. I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a memoir, but I admire the author for rising above the poverty and conditions in which he started his life. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by. Memoirs aren't for everyone, right? This one was so short that I kind of missed it when it was over. It is remarkable what this author achieved in such a short time period of his young life. Oh, to be young again...Thanks again for commenting. I always appreciate it! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kdstrack wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 09:59 Our parents can have great influence on our self esteem and world view. But people can grow and change. I like how the author didn't wallow in self pity and blame his situation on others. His story is a powerful motivation to everyone. I like the title. Thanks for your insightful review with that touch of mystery!!
The book was so short that I tried to be super careful not to give too much away! I always try to consider what I know before reading it..not a lot, so I don't ever want to spoil the surprise that I am sure the author has intended. You are so right about our parents and their influence. This author definitely rose up and changed his life for the better. Thanks for reading my review! I appreciate it so much.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Rose Harebate wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 12:50 The challenges the author went through when he was younger shaped him to become a great man he is today. I will take this book as an inspiring read for people who find it hard to get through in life. Awesome review!
Thank you so much! It's a short book, but wow! It has a lot of good insight. I appreciate your kind comments and for reading my review. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Jessacardinal wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 13:01
cpru68 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 14:30 This book teaches that when something appears to be bad news, it could be the catalyst that is required to ignite change and set a new course for a better way of living.
This reminds me of a quote I saw this morning."When you replace “why is this happening to me” with “what is this trying to teach me?”, everything shifts." I appreciate the realistic approach this book takes toward creating a better life.
I find it fascinating when we are meant to learn something, it always comes in messages to us in more than one way in a very brief period of time. So, I love that you saw that quote and then read almost the same message in my review! Isn't that great when that happens? I appreciate your kind words and for taking the time to read my review. :)
Naman Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naman Sharma »

This Book tells us that how life could change from bad to good or good to bad .Any how we have to aceept the change comes in life whether good or
bad.Changes are necessary in life as it is a unversal truth..I would like to give a rating of 4.5 out of 5.. to this book.. :geek2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I was really touched by the author's story and I enjoyed your excellent review.
Currently Reading: Terror In Manila
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by 0713878458 »

Interesting book to read and it's emotional. ..
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 21:24 I was really touched by the author's story and I enjoyed your excellent review.
Thanks! I appreciate you reading my review. 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

0713878458 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 23:19 Interesting book to read and it's emotional. ..
Yes, the author had a lot of wounds from his younger years, but this book is a testimony of his perseverance and strength. Thank you for stopping in and reading my review. I appreciate it.
Ceara H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ceara H »

Wonderful review! You were very concise, yet you made me really want to check out this book. Well done!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”