Official Review: C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Ye...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Ye...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Year Journey through Dementia" by Deborah P. Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Even in the hardest times, there was still music."

In C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Year Journey through Dementia, Deborah P. Hall shares a realistic glimpse of her relationship with her mother, both before and after the diagnosis of early-onset dementia. Hall was always close to her mother; in addition to being mother and daughter, they were business partners and best friends. By choosing to focus on her mother, rather than the ravages of the disease, Hall provides a beautiful tribute to the woman who instilled in her a love for music, family, and God.

The book spans 322 pages and is well-written, informative, and exceptionally edited. Regarding her mother's dementia, Hall first notices subtle discrepancies. These changes may have gone undetected, had they not been spending so much time together. As the disease progresses, Hall witnesses more rapid "nose-dive" declines. She reflects on poignant milestones such as when her mother could no longer work, drive, or continue to live in her cherished home on the farm, Erdenheim. Hall also provides a wealth of practical information for caregivers ranging from documenting family photographs and videos to navigating necessary paperwork.

Complete with photographs, Hall entertains readers with anecdotes from her family’s background and brings to life the characters from her childhood. She introduced her mother as someone who "refused to confirm precisely with expectations," beginning with her birth as a prematurely-born baby. Granddaddy was a preacher, Grandmother was a no-nonsense piano teacher, and Hall's Aunt Vicki delighted in playing dress-up with the cat. As Hall shared tidbits from her childhood, I became endeared to her single-parent mother, as well as their close mother-daughter relationship.

I particularly like Hall's choice to focus on her relationship with her mother despite the obvious challenges involved in caring for a parent with dementia. Even as a young woman, Hall describes her mother as "powered by sheer determination." As her mother's dementia progressed, this strength of will didn't always manifest itself in positive ways. However, Hall continued to remind herself that the culprit was the disease and not her mother. To say I admire her patience and devotion would be an understatement. I also enjoyed the "diamonds" Hall shared--little glimpses of clarity or humor reminiscent of her mother before dementia.

I honestly can't name a thing I disliked about this book. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs, and those facing caretaking for their parents. It is also an informative resource for readers seeking to learn more about early-onset dementia.

C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Year Journey through Dementia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I am also very close with my mother, I don't know how to cope if ever she forgets me. I appreciate the author's choice of sharing her experience. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Y3misola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Y3misola »

I miss the fact that, my mother wasn’t there for me when I needed her most and from the bases of this book, and my wedding day. It really show how close my mother heart toward me, cause she was just sitting down and look nervous although. I like to read this book, to sharp thing between myself and my mother.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It's great that Hall mainly focuses on the good times she had with her mother despite all the challenges she went through. Sounds like such an encouraging story. Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 01:35 I am also very close with my mother, I don't know how to cope if ever she forgets me. I appreciate the author's choice of sharing her experience. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Y3misola wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 05:14 I miss the fact that, my mother wasn’t there for me when I needed her most and from the bases of this book, and my wedding day. It really show how close my mother heart toward me, cause she was just sitting down and look nervous although. I like to read this book, to sharp thing between myself and my mother.
Thanks for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 06:46 It's great that Hall mainly focuses on the good times she had with her mother despite all the challenges she went through. Sounds like such an encouraging story. Great review.
Thank you, I appreciate your comment.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

My siblings and I have always been especially close to our mother, more so now that my father is gone.
I think I would be severely depressed if she were to start showing signs of dementia.
We would all be heartbroken. As much as I would love to read this book, I don't think I can stand the emotions and terror. I would constantly imagine my mum in the same position and that's terrible.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author portrays her mother in such a loving way by insisting on highlighting her positive traits. That is a beautiful testament and a wonderful model for others in the same situation. Thanks for such a touching review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I particularly enjoyed reading your insightful review because I considered selecting this book. Now I'm sorry I didn't! I can see how someone's symptoms can go undetected by their children. Not everyone lives near their parents. Even if they do, they might not see them often enough to notice the subtle changes. Thanks for an interesting review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I always enjoy reading your reviews. This book touches my heart I lost my mother recently, and it was so hard. She was a strong woman who cared for my father with Alzheimer's. How difficult it is to watch those you love slowly slip away. It is nice to see extraordinary people write about difficult times. We learn so much from other experiences; it allows us to see we are not alone — a great review I will have to read this book soon.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The repercussions of dementia on the patient himself/ herself and on the caregivers is an issue that strikes a chord for me. This book will take precedence on my TBR list. I absolutely lavished in your eloquent and engaging review. Thanks, Cecilia! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ChydeanmahE95 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 10:01 My siblings and I have always been especially close to our mother, more so now that my father is gone.
I think I would be severely depressed if she were to start showing signs of dementia.
We would all be heartbroken. As much as I would love to read this book, I don't think I can stand the emotions and terror. I would constantly imagine my mum in the same position and that's terrible.
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 10:15 The author portrays her mother in such a loving way by insisting on highlighting her positive traits. That is a beautiful testament and a wonderful model for others in the same situation. Thanks for such a touching review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

bookowlie wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 10:45 I particularly enjoyed reading your insightful review because I considered selecting this book. Now I'm sorry I didn't! I can see how someone's symptoms can go undetected by their children. Not everyone lives near their parents. Even if they do, they might not see them often enough to notice the subtle changes. Thanks for an interesting review.
I know what you mean--I had mixed emotions about selecting the book initally, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for your kind comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”