Review by jenjayfromSA -- Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jenjayfromSA -- Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Post by jenjayfromSA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zeus Defied" by Rez Khan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Long ago I lost count of how many books on diet and nutrition I have read – and I swore I would never read another. Most of them contradict each other anyway.

Then I spotted Zeus Defied[/i] by Rez Khan and clicked to check it out, mostly because I’m a Greek mythology geek. I always felt a pang of compassion for old king Sisyphus who was doomed by Zeus, king of the gods, to push a boulder up a mountain for eternity, only to see it crash down to the bottom again.

It’s the image Khan uses to describe his (and my) battle to lose the weight that keeps creeping up, despite valiant efforts with diets, exercise, calorie counting, weight clubs – you name it!

Don’t battle the boulder, he says, remove the mountain. Yes? How? Do it from the bottom up, he says. Your choices made you fat, so create new habits. Let your choices make you thin.

Really? Is that all?

You can’t rely on self-control and will power, he says, which is good news as I don’t seem to have much. You have to do it slowly, bit by bit. It takes three to six weeks to establish a habit.

His Nine Phase Plan tackles the mountain over nine months, a month at a time. That is bad news if you have to be slim by next week, but I found it reassuring. I can face a programme that gives it to me in tiny, workable bites.

Is it a solution? It certainly makes sense and it is a method Khan has tried and tested. He succeeded in taking down his own mountain. He managed to tell Zeus where to get off. Can I?

His plan is structured and complete. He gives definite instructions for each phase and an accessible explanation, drawing on studies and references, to make his reasoning clear. I knew most of it, but it always helps to revise. There are detailed appendixes and diagrams too.

He certainly proves, beyond reasonable doubt, that a cheeseburger and fries with sugary soda or a fatty shake is one of the greatest enemies of mankind!

Did you know that burgers and pizza have grown in size over the decades, and that junk food can have the addictive qualities of cocaine? It seems it doesn’t stop you from being hungry, it simply makes you hungry for more!

It makes sense. At least, it makes sense to me. If you are serious about wanting to start eating clean and healthy – and drop the weight at the same time - it may make sense to you.

I’m giving it a try. Phase 1 is underway, and the mountain is starting to crumble. Bug off, Zeus, you’re history!

The book is well formatted and easy to read. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Zeus Defied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jenjayfromSA's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Seeing just the title, I was quick to assume that this book is a mythical piece. I am yet to see enough evidence that achieving the desired weight loss and a healthy lifestyle already ceased to be a fantasy for some if not many, so I could definitely go along with its metaphors even if it's really non-fiction. All the best to your plans in turning the proverbial dream into a reality. Thank you for your candid and insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I understand your struggle, and I think many of us can relate. I'm glad this book provides sensible advice for weight loss because, let's face it, fad diets, as appealing as they sound, don't work.
I love the candid and honest style of your review and the way you share your personal experience with the book. Thank you!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I don't like a mythological novel. But this one seems interesting. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The title is a bit unusual for a book of this genre. The fact that the book encourages the reader to put it in practice, testifies its success.

Awesome review. Thank you.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I, too, liked the Zeus mythology of describing what it's like to keep trying to lose weight and not succeeding. It's a lot of work and (poof!) in a short time, all can be lost very easily. I liked how you personalized the book and that you are giving it a try to create new habits.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Did you know that burgers and pizza have grown in size over the decades, and that junk food can have the addictive qualities of cocaine?
Now I know why I keep reaching for the enemy of my weight-loss desire! I love the way you have broken down the book, I'm sold! Thanks for the interesting review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”