What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
anthro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by anthro »

In my personal opinion, the strong definitive of "Winning the War on Cancer" makes it more appealing. In general, I am uninterested in reading the type of book that typically falls under this title, but the stong stance immediately piques my interest. I have lost family members to cancer, and I have some family members who have defeated cancer, and to me, it brings more of a positive note when approaching the subject optimistically, instead if "Maybe Winning" or "Trying to Win" you are "Winning".
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I think that this is an overly optimistic title that may not relate to the efficacy of the natural or alternative cure described in the book. I have seen survivors of cancer both from the results of conventional cures as well, like a few from alternative approaches. Unfortunately, there are no records of research to prove many alternative claims. Therefore I do feel that this title is a bit misleading and overly optimistic.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

anthro wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 20:20 In my personal opinion, the strong definitive of "Winning the War on Cancer" makes it more appealing. In general, I am uninterested in reading the type of book that typically falls under this title, but the stong stance immediately piques my interest. I have lost family members to cancer, and I have some family members who have defeated cancer, and to me, it brings more of a positive note when approaching the subject optimistically, instead if "Maybe Winning" or "Trying to Win" you are "Winning".
I agree wholeheartedly! I do understand that this title may seem overly optimistic, but it is trying to take a firm stance and provide a bit of hope. That is not much different than what the research of the author's father was trying to do. I was very happy while reading the book to learn that the mission was not to replace conventional medicine but to support it and help alleviate some side effects of chemo.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

The title is quite catchy. If, anything, this issue of cancer is war-like. Consequently, by all means necessary, we have to win this war!
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

DogoMulla wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 19:04 The title is quite catchy. If, anything, this issue of cancer is war-like. Consequently, by all means necessary, we have to win this war!
It is even one of the things that the US has actually declared war on. Just like the "War on Drugs." Both are long running and entrenched though, sadly.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

I think the more appropriate title is, win against cancer or fight cancer! of the majority of cancer sufferers, only a small percentage can recover or survive cancer, with this book can give hope to cancer sufferers to be able to recover.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

stacie k wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 09:30 I appreciate that the title imparts a sense of hope to the reader. We all need hope, whether the diagnosis comes to us personally or to someone we care about. The title makes me want to hear what the author has to say.
I agree with this opinion. Even though fighting cancer isn't easy and, sadly, most people don't make it, people need hope and the title gives them that.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

The title definitely put me off reading the book. To me, winning is more of a game-related reference, and cancer is about the furthest from a game you can get. It also seems to imply that anyone can 'win' and beat cancer by following this book, which just isn't true for everyone.
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever »

I like the title because it offers hope. I lost my dad to non hodgkin's lymphoma 18 years ago. He was misdiagnosed as having arthritis and when they found it, it was too late. I think this book will be helpful to others and give them the hope they need.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I fully agree with your sentiments. Cancer is a complex phenomena with many subcategories that differ on just as many levels as they hold similarity in. I know the message is meant to grab attention, and it may or may not be reflective off the author's depth of belief, but it's too strong for my taste.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
I do agree with you to a certain extent. When I first saw the title, my immediate reaction was that the title seems like an assumption or maybe it would give a sure way to win the battle against cancer, which of course it's not and can never be! But again at the same time, it could help to remain optimistic especially during such a time where everything around you is filled with negativity!
"Growth is the essence of life."
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Cancer is such a broad term, so I don't think the title would give anybody false hope. I do, though, find it to be intriguing and it inspired me to look into the book.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I think the title is two-fold: one on battling the disease itself, and the other on tackling the fight between traditional and alternative medicine, especially with the former somewhat trying to discredit the latter. The use of the term "winning" sounds like a positive, confident assertion that could inspire hope in anyone reading.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?

I agree with your feelings completely. My late grandmother died because of Cancer and now my last grandmother, who is like my second mother, is diagnosed with it. Having a book with that title would give some people a bit of hope if they didn't know better. So yes I think the title should be altered slightly.
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I think you raise a valid point about the title. It does give false hope, which isn't a good thing-- depending on who you ask. But I also feel that the word 'trying' instils a pessimistic vibe. It brings focus to the energy a person uses. And if a person is already feeling mentally and physically weak, 'trying' rings in the mind very differently compared to a person who is amped up, has plenty of energy to burn, and is willing. When a person has cancer, 'trying' is synonymous with 'straining'... A mentally half-lost battle because they feel discouraged.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”